PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think we don't see many Shaolin fighters in NHB events?

roughnready
06-10-2002, 03:12 PM
I always was curious about this and would like to know everyone's opinion. My only guess is that they have to much honor to prove them selves in those kind of sports or because of the rules. Surely, there must be atleast one person who studies Shaolin that entered or will enter these NHB events. What do you think?

Dark Knight
06-10-2002, 04:02 PM
My only guess is that they have to much honor to prove them selves in those kind of sports or because of the rules.

I love that answer

If you want to win in Boxing you study boxing, if you want to win in Kick boxing you do kick boxing.....If you want to win in NHB you train in what wins at NHB.

The reason you donot see Kung Fu guys winning in NHB is because they are not training for it.

Take a NHB fighter and throw him in against a boxer with boxing rules with no change in training. Because of how they train to fight they will not be able to fight under those rules. Or throw them in an olympic TKD match.

The same for a Shaolin guy, he does not train for NHB, he will not be prepared for the fight.

Royal Dragon
06-10-2002, 04:25 PM
I think it's because its still new, and most Kung Fu fighters already have thier own long established circutes.

It's the same reason you don't see to many Football players playing Rugby

Xebsball
06-10-2002, 05:39 PM
Kung Fu people not going to mma... there are 3 main "lineages"

1) Ones that prefer San Shou and Kuoshu
2) Ones that think the rules limit too much
3) Ones that dont care about sport competition

Its definately not the honor thing imho.

roughnready
06-11-2002, 02:43 AM
but dont you think that a shaolin master should be able to addapt to any rules and situations?i mean cant shaolin kung fu cope with different styles?

Sho
06-11-2002, 03:03 AM
roughnready,

Why should it adapt? Maybe NHB should adapt with CMA. Seriously speaking, I don't find any reason for CMA to adapt with such a silly thing as NHB.

scotty1
06-11-2002, 03:05 AM
Oh God..

They are just fighters in their chosen martial art, like the MMA fighters.

Whatever they might have been, they are not that now.

As far as why they don't enter, you would have to ask one. I for one would be very interested to see how they did.

LiteBlu
06-11-2002, 03:36 AM
Sho - "...silly thing as NHB."

LOL @ Sho.

You know what's silly? Kung fu (or any other single martial art) guys entering NHB matches thinking that they don't need cross training, and getting their asses beat and hospitalized.

Now that's pretty silly.

LMAO!

Cross training is the key.

Sho
06-11-2002, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by LiteBlu
You know what's silly? Kung fu (or any other single martial art) guys entering NHB matches thinking that they don't need cross training, and getting their asses beat and hospitalized.Well then I guess they shouldn't go to NHB. Oknp?

NorthernMantis
06-11-2002, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by LiteBlu
Sho - "...silly thing as NHB."

LOL @ Sho.

You know what's silly? Kung fu (or any other single martial art) guys entering NHB matches thinking that they don't need cross training, and getting their asses beat and hospitalized.

Now that's pretty silly.

LMAO!

Cross training is the key.

Uhh correction there has been some traditional kung fu competitors that have gone into nhb and won either a match or a tournament. I'm starting to get sick of reposting but I guess the battle againts ingorance is a never ending one.

See the tai chi turns to gold thread (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=13519)

It talks about how tai chi did in a mma tournament. There's also talk about a wing chun guy who won againts a sanshou guy (which has kickboxing and wrestling) in the thread.

NorthernMantis
06-11-2002, 06:46 AM
Also see the an internalist wins a mma match thread (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=13260)

It also mentions some mantis practioners did well.

Looks like traditional martial arts are starting to get afoothold in this style vs bs.

Dark Knight
06-11-2002, 07:32 AM
but dont you think that a shaolin master should be able to addapt to any rules and situations?i mean cant shaolin kung fu cope with different styles?

You train for what you expect to run a cross. The traditional martial arts were for the most common attacks.

NHB is different, they did not train for that type of environment. Also keep in mind the chinese arts were designed against what they did run across. You cannot adapt to something very easily if you have not trained for it.

Dark Knight
06-11-2002, 07:33 AM
Shaolin Masters are not the untouchable immortals we would like to think they are.

Kristoffer
06-11-2002, 12:16 PM
This pretty much sums this thread up:

"The reason you donot see Kung Fu guys winning in NHB is because they are
not training for it."

"Kung Fu people not going to mma... there are 3 main "lineages"

1) Ones that prefer San Shou and Kuoshu
2) Ones that think the rules limit too much
3) Ones that dont care about sport competition"

Le nOObi
06-11-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Dark Knight

You train for what you expect to run a cross. The traditional martial arts were for the most common attacks.

NHB is different, they did not train for that type of environment. Also keep in mind the chinese arts were designed against what they did run across. You cannot adapt to something very easily if you have not trained for it.

Your understanding of the Traditional martial arts is incredible. Maybe the reason traditional martial arts did poorly in NHB is because the traditional martial artists who entered were crap, didnt prepare themselves for the type of fights they were going to be in, and also because traditional martial artists had nothing to do with the creation of say events like the UFC.

Also jujitsu is a TMA it was changed into judo which changed into BJJ obviously if CMA people train effeciently they will be able to hold their own. ALso muay thai trains the kind of attack CMA can deal with why wouldnt CMA do well against muay thai?

stuff
06-11-2002, 04:03 PM
Cant we all jus get along?;)
seriously, are NHB and TMA people ever gonna get along. MA's are things we love to do, we each have our prefered art, lets leave it at that.
As to why Shaolin people don't enter NHB comps why don't you find one and ask him

oh by the way, for those of you who read my wing chun + what thread, i've decided to stick to just wing chun. Recently Sifu has been dumping loads of info on me, so, i feel from what I've seen wing chun is all i need. Who knows, maybe my mind will change later.:cool:

Kung fu stuff