PDA

View Full Version : Sifu authenticity?

PLaTiNuMB
06-10-2002, 05:42 PM
Hi, can anyone give me information about the following sifu's:

Sifu Alan Lee
Sifu Chung Kwok Chow
Sifu Jose Grados

As it stands i'm going to see Sifu Chow tomorrow at 8, and Sifu Lee on thursday at 8:30...umm does anyone know if they are reputable people? has anyone ever attended their schools?
if anyone has then please let me know how it was and if you liked and and how the teaching was...

-thanks alot

TenTigers
06-10-2002, 06:20 PM
'not tellin! You go to them and come back and tell us!-all kidding aside, they're all reputable, you just have to find the atmosphere you like to train in.

Abstract
06-10-2002, 06:26 PM
go to all 3 and decide for yourself, but, personally..(sifu lee!;) )

PLaTiNuMB
06-10-2002, 06:35 PM
well i hooked it all up...i'm goin to see sifu chow tomorrow at 8 pm then on thursday it's sifu grados at 12:30 then sifu lee at 8:30...the guy i talked to when i called for sifu lee's school he told me that it's a private thing; that they dont advertise, and that it's pretty hardcore...hehe i'm excited...i just wanted to know if any had any good/bad experiences with them (especially sifu grados cuz i've never heard of him)...well that's that
i can hardly wait!:D :D :D :D :D

mthandz
06-10-2002, 06:49 PM
ask many questions. dose the answers make sense? many schools dont like there studnets to visit other schools. the confident ones teachers dont care. martial artists should be open to other martial schools. just my opnion.

\^o^/
mthandz

TenTigers
06-10-2002, 07:29 PM
personally, I would choose Sifu Lee,um, ok, that's kinda biased!
Hardcore? Depends on what you're used to. I love it, but some guys leave and don't come back, and I am no tough guy by any means, but it is great fun, all hands on, lots an lots a contact, totally practical from the word go.

PLaTiNuMB
06-10-2002, 08:23 PM
that's exactely what i'm lookin for...tentigers do u train there now? there's one thing i'm worried about...he was kindy shady saying 'we don't discuss prices over the phone' so that got me kinda worried but if its like a monthly fee and its under around 150 or less then i'd be happy since i'd be able to train so much (6 days a week! :D) i can't wait for thursday!...i've been wanting to study wing chun for like 5 years but for some reason or another i could never start....i'm so psyched...

pardon me whilst i explode :mad::eek::p:D

anerlich
06-11-2002, 05:02 AM
follow red5angel's advice (just read any thread above,he'll be on there somewhere) and go to Carl's seminar in the midwest. A good student shouldn't think twice about travelling hundreds of miles.

Seriously, you got to go and check it out for yourself. No substitute for legwork.

jesper
06-11-2002, 05:08 AM
is that 150$ your talking about ??

That sounds ridiculus expensive

PLaTiNuMB
06-11-2002, 02:18 PM
i leave in 45 minutes to go check out sifu chow....muahahaha

i'll let u know how it goes...this is gonna be my first time seeing wing chun up close....ahhh it's gonna be sooooooo good....

!

red5angel
06-12-2002, 07:32 AM
Well?

black and blue
06-12-2002, 07:43 AM
Maybe our numb friend didn't make it back!

:eek:

PLaTiNuMB
06-12-2002, 03:53 PM
i went and it was pretty cool...indeed it was....i was especially amazed by the wooden dummy forms that some students were doing...i memorized form #50 (i think) just by watching him do it over and over again...eeeee i dunno if i'm gonna go here though...sifu chow was a nice enough man...he seems cool...but i dunno i got the impression that the school was more about the money...with a list of ridiculous things to buy....o well...tomorrow it's off to sifu grados then sifu lee and im really excited about the latter....i'll let you know how it goes

peace

kungfu cowboy
06-12-2002, 04:01 PM
They're still trying to push those wing chun waffle irons, eh?

PLaTiNuMB
06-13-2002, 11:01 AM
i'm looking for a teacher that knows his stuff...and who'd be willing to explain to me why i'm doing a particular move and how it might help me...

hmmm

i dunno...i wanna learn wing chun for self defense...and cuz well i just do...sort of like apple jacks...i'm ****ed cuz my alarm didnt go off today and i missed out on seeing sifu grados's class...but o well i'm still going to see sifu alan tonite...

LC-NYC, in ur profile it says u study wing chun...where do you train??

Sihing73
06-13-2002, 03:20 PM
Hi PLaTiNuMB,

Please feel free to PM or e-mail me. I am curious as to what it was at Sifu Chows you were encouraged to buy????

I have known Sifu Chow for the last ten years and I am training under him, once I recover. In all of that time I have never been pressed for money nor to buy anything. Of course this is just my perspective and I could be mistaken. I would venture to say I am a bit biased ;)

As to the other two Sifu I have never met Sifu Grados although I have heard good things about him.

I had the privilige of a very brief encounter with Sifu Lee back in January. He was kind enough to allow us to use his school to hold a gathering of Wing Chun exponents. The students who I met were nice enough and they did seem to be very dedicated.

Good luck in your quest. Perhaps one day you can visit Sifu Chow again and introduce yourself to me. I am usually there on Tuesday nights. Although at present I am kind of on a leave of absence. But, if you tell me you are going to be there I would be glad to make the trip up.

Peace,

Dave

LC-NYC
06-13-2002, 07:41 PM
I train where ever I can. I train/trained in the park, on the roofs, in the subway, in the streets, in elevators, and sometimes while sleeping. Where ever and when ever I can, I will train. My training home is in Harlem, which is where my Sifu resides.
Good luck in finding a Teacher! It's such a hard task.

mortal
01-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Sifu Grados is amazing. He mixes wing chun with actual fighting. Instead of doing a simple hand form for months. You actually learn how to apply it as you learn.
Anthony A.

Grendel
01-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by mortal
Sifu Grados is amazing. He mixes wing chun with actual fighting. Instead of doing a simple hand form for months. You actually learn how to apply it as you learn.
Anthony A.
Hi Anthony,

Learn to apply what? If you haven't achieved a certain mastery of basics, learning fighting without the basics will lead you on a false path and you will never incorporate Wing Chun energy into your fighting.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

mun hung
01-18-2003, 02:23 AM
Now this is an old thread!

BTW - PLaTiNuMB joined our school.

I recently met a student of Jose Grados who had been with him for 6 months and was surprised that he only knew the first third of the SNT.
:confused:

Abstract
01-18-2003, 07:24 AM
good to hear Platinumb joined the school...sad to hear about the Grados student:(

Mun Hung! man! i left u a voicemail ya bum:D! gimme a call when ya get a minute...