PDA

View Full Version : Why All The As5 Kissing?

urban tea
06-10-2002, 05:43 PM
On many online forms and email lists there is too much as5 kissing. Sure, I think my teacher is good and I'm lucky to learn from him but that doesn't mean that I should go kissing as5.

Say your teacher is great and how lucky you are to find him ONCE and get it over with. What's the point of repeating it all the time?

This isn't a religion.

dre_doggX
06-10-2002, 07:29 PM
have a website or something you wrote on him.

Redd
06-10-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by urban tea
On many online forms and email lists there is too much as5 kissing. Sure, I think my teacher is good and I'm lucky to learn from him but that doesn't mean that I should go kissing as5.

Say your teacher is great and how lucky you are to find him ONCE and get it over with. What's the point of repeating it all the time?

This isn't a religion.
Obviously you have not met the sifu of red5angel.

urban tea
06-10-2002, 09:46 PM
Redd,

Don't be too quick to use words like "obviously." It doesn't matter HOW great the teacher is, he is NOT a GOD.

If I kept saying how great my teacher is then that would turn him off to other people and they would be less open minded to my lineage/group.

Let's say you got a group of 5 people (with the same teacher) who talk about 5 different topics. Why does it always have to end up in those 5 people kissing each other's as5es on how great their one teacher is? What does that accomplish?

I am sure each and every single person likes their sifu and feels honored to be able to learn from him/her. If everyone came online and talked abou how great his/her teacher is every 100 words, people would get annoyed. I am not talking about kung fu, i'm talking about ... you know what i'm talking about.

More input guys? I"m sure you know what I'm talking about.

urban tea
06-10-2002, 09:54 PM
If you want other people to learn more about your lineage and method of wing chun then you really shouldn't say anything negative. Even if the guy's SLT is the worse thing you ever saw.

Why ?

Because that would give you a chance to "win" him over. If you two meet up one day you can say, "Oh every teacher does wc a little different. We use that movement for this.."

And then you guys can chi sau. If you beat him with better position and hands, the guy is smart enough to think, " This guy is good, I want to learn what he's learning."

At that point, the guy has a good chance of learning what you learn. Then you can spread what you think is good wing chun.

And to come back to the topic. If you keep talking about how great your teacher is so often, people won't want to listen.

Redd
06-11-2002, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by urban tea
Redd,

Don't be too quick to use words like "obviously." It doesn't matter HOW great the teacher is, he is NOT a GOD.

It was a satirical comment.

I"m sure you know what I'm talking about.

You have made your point.

red5angel
06-11-2002, 06:09 AM
Urban Tea, you are correct it is not a religion, fo rme it is however a passion. I mentioned him in the beginning because I invited people to check him out at his school and the seminar he is having in minneapolis. After expressing my own opinions people got upset and it just snowballed.

Alpha Dog
06-11-2002, 02:21 PM
Before Bruce Lee worked his magic, many boys from broken homes or without strong male role models in their lives had no choice but to become hairstylists and pander to surrogate mommies for love and approval. Now their Sifu can be (in their fragile eggshell minds) the dad they never had. Isn't that great?

Roy D. Anthony
06-13-2002, 03:32 PM
LOL@Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog
06-13-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Roy D. Anthony
LOL@Alpha Dog

Someone who can appreciate a joke and not go all ape over it. Hats off to you good sir. Maybe there is hope for this board after all....

TjD
06-13-2002, 04:29 PM
my sifu always says that he looks out for the people who seem to worship wing chun and are really gung ho about it

he says they usually last about 3 months and then dissapear without a trace

i dono what the reason is but ive seen them come and go as well :)

shrug
travis

kj
06-13-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by TjD
my sifu always says that he looks out for the people who seem to worship wing chun and are really gung ho about it

he says they usually last about 3 months and then dissapear without a trace

Funny, my sifu just recently shared a very similar observation with me.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

P.S. Even in my limited experience, there does seem to be a ring of truth in it.