PDA

View Full Version : Blind folded Chi Sao.

Shadow Dragon
06-10-2002, 06:07 PM
Hi All.

Just a quick question for you WC Guys.

On Saturday I met with a few MA for a throat wetting session.

One of the Guys there was a WC Student and showed me pics of him training chi sao blindfolded.

Is this a common practice in WC training.

Just curios.

anerlich
06-10-2002, 06:32 PM
Yep, this is a pretty standard training WC training method IMO. For best results, only one of you is blindfolded ;)

It has some limits as you can't go really hard as the blindfolded one can't judge to pull his strikes, but it's definitely of value.

In some ways it's easier to do chi sao when you're not watching directly, the peripheral vision being better for pre-conscious processing, the foveal (central) cone of vision bringing in too much conscious analysis and emotion to operate a maximum efficiency (anyone guess which tape set I've been watching?). That plus the fact that it makes it easier to concentrate on your tactile senses.

This is not unique to WC. Grapplers train this way too, those arts being mostly tactile.

dezhen2001
06-11-2002, 06:02 AM
Hi Shadow - not seen u post here before :)

I never did blindfold chi sau yet, but have tried it with my eyes closed (no peeking either :p). At first it's quite scary actually, but you really learn to use your sensitivity better. After a while it's not so bad and you can really concentrate on developing your skill. Things like redirecting, absorbing and then issuing your power. Seeing my Seniors and Sifu though, it doesn't seem to phase them at all, so i guess one you use sensitivity properly anyway, it's really no big deal. Also one of my Sisuk is registered blind, and his chi sau is very good... trying it with my eyes closed helped me to see how difficult training must be for him.

Another method of training is to play chi sau up on a table. Has anyone done that? It's fun :D

david

Axiom
06-11-2002, 07:05 AM
I have done some where one partner has their eyes closed. I'm not too good at it yet though, so I haven't done a whole lot of chi sau, but I know that it's definitly a part of the training.

hunt1
06-11-2002, 07:14 AM
I am a big believer in blind folded chi sao.The highlight of all my training was blind folded chi sao/chi gerk moving to cross arm then moved to blindfolded no contact.Wish I still had skilled training partners that I trusted to do more of it.

Once you take your eyes out of the equation you will notice a big reaction diference imho.There are some Yip man students that dont think much of it so it may not be that big a deal for others.

red5angel
06-11-2002, 07:19 AM
I think it is a natural extension of Chi Sao practice, to do it blind folded makes you concentrate wholly on the sensitivity of your hands and arms.
As Anerlich pointed out, it is easier to use peripheral vision when doing chi sao or dan chi sao, or what ever. We train to look the other person in the eye, or there abouts so that our eyes dont focus on the hands. This also helps you to keep your structure!
I definitely dont think it is necessary but it is a good training tool if you choose to use it.

hunt1
06-11-2002, 11:37 AM
Never,Never look at the eyes.This is a myth taught by those w/o much fighting exp.You must learn to focus on a spot that lets you see both arm and hip movement.the eyes can decieve and trick. In a fight the hips /leg or shoulder must move and will always tell direction and angle of attack.

red5angel
06-11-2002, 12:06 PM
True, my bad! We are told to focus on the forehead or chin. I tend to look past thier ear on one side or another! thanks hunt1

gnugear
06-11-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by hunt1
Never,Never look at the eyes.This is a myth taught by those w/o much fighting exp.You must learn to focus on a spot that lets you see both arm and hip movement.the eyes can decieve and trick. In a fight the hips /leg or shoulder must move and will always tell direction and angle of attack.

I've always heard that you should look through the eyes.

I tend to look at the chin myself.

As for blindfolded chi sao. We don't really do it, but I close my eyes if I feel that I'm lacking focus or need to concentrate on the center more.

red5angel
06-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Yep, or the nose as well, just so you get the hands moving around in the peripheral vision!

anerlich
06-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Your gaze needs to be directed about 15 degrees off centre (up down to the sides) to take the foveal cone of vision out of the equation.

Did red just admit he was wrong about something?:eek:

red5angel
06-11-2002, 01:20 PM
LOL! at Anerlich, dont mae me come to Oz sooner then I had planned! ;)

Actually that is a good way to put it, 15 degrees, It occurred to me after reading it that that explains what I was trying to get at alot more succinctly!