PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about these techniques?

Stacey
06-10-2002, 07:51 PM
http://w3.blackbeltmag.com/featurecontent/view.asp?article=185

grifter721
06-11-2002, 02:22 PM
It doesnt look to serious, for one both guys are in a left stance and the guy on the left steps forward for a right punch stepping forward into a right stance....That makes no sense,inefficent way of punching.

For two the guy on the left is leaving his babies waaay too open in the second picture(bottom picture, second frame) as he punches, the guy in white does have his left hand up and a good mantis guy would block that a bit further out and even if he didnt he could fall back and kick his babies.

I dont know about these guys.

Tainan Mantis
06-11-2002, 10:18 PM
Stacey,
Thanks for providing the interesting link.
The techniques shown appear unique. It is hard to judge them by pictures as you can see by grifter's response.

For the first 6-7 years of studing in Taiwan I drew pictures of all the applications that are similar to those photos.
When learning the technique it would appear awesome, but to see the static pictures it would appear to be somehow defective.
Probably because 2 people move at the same time, but in photos you must use your imagination, in which case it is hard to grasp the timing.

I would make a suggestion to the photographer:
For each picture only one person should move.
For example, in the first pic, is one guy punching and another getting hit, no block no moving the feet.
Then in the next pic show what the other guy would do with the first puncher not moving etc...

Problem is that it takes more pics to explain one move.

Grifter,
I think this is an example of a technique and shouldn't be picked apart too minutely.

We have a technique where one guy steps forward and punches the other guy. It is very fast.
In this training method they can learn how to intercept or how to counter the interception.
But in this case the author justs wants to show a specific technique, not go into detail of the thousands of possiblilities.

Stacey,
Can you say what forms those techniques are from?

Stacey
06-12-2002, 10:50 AM
no idea, I just found the article.

just wondering how this looked or compared to other mantis applications.

drunkendragon
07-02-2002, 03:08 PM
Those are 2 of the 40 throws in 8-step.

Tainan Mantis
07-02-2002, 05:27 PM
drunkendragon,
Thanks for the info.
I have a question.
When practicing with your partner how do you bridge the initial gap?

For example:
Teachers says,"Do throw number 9."

So the two of you are not touching, but to execute the throw you must make contact.

Does one person rush forward in a straight punch?
Or both people attack at the same time or what?