PDA

View Full Version : To Gene Cheng about the Kuntao Article by Philip H.J. Davies in Kung Fu Qigong July/Aug

FIRE HAWK
06-08-2001, 07:07 AM
In the article it says that Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist is a variation of Southern White Crane style.But in the second book by Cheong Cheng Leong and Mark V. Wiley it says that the chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist style comes from Chu Gar Kow or Chu Gar Gao this would be Southern Mantis.The second book does say that it might also come from Fukien Southern White Crane or other Fukien arts or styles.In the Tuttle dictionary of martial atrs Chuka Shaolin is called Jyu Ga which is another name for Southern Mantis also the name Chuka is a name for southern mantis i have herd Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye fist also called Chu Gar Chong Gar Chuen translated Chu s Family Middle Range it is also called Hukka.The first form of Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist is called Kai San (Opening the Mountain)i have found that this form is also called Hoi Sam Kun and in the Fukien style called Duan Quan it is called Kai men Quan (Open Door Fist or Open the door)it is also called Kaishan.In my Dr.Yang Jwing Ming Shaolin White Crane Book he list the for main styles of Fukien Southern White Crane and i dont see this form or any of the Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist forms that are listed in Cheong Cheng Leongs second book listed in Dr. Yang Jwing Mings Fukien Southern Shaolin White Crane book.So how can Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist be called a variation of Southern White Crane in the article called Chukka.Leow Fah Shihh koo and the two Chu sisters would be way older than the four main branches of Fukien Southern White Crane what i mean is before those branches where formed they would have been dead.Also the people who practice Chuka Shaolin are Hakka ,I have wrote and sent Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye fist books to southern mantis masters and they say it is a version of Chu Gar Southern Mantis one even said it was a old varaition of Chu Gar Gao.In the second book it does say that Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist could Be mixed with Chugar Southern Mantis and Fukien Southern White Crane or other Fukien styles it is said that Leow Fah Shihh Koo was a practitioner of crane style and that she came from the Fukien Shaolin temple but she could not have practiced the four main branches of Fukien Southern White Crane because she would have been long dead before those styles exsited.Also in the list of the forms from the books there seems to be alot of Tiger and Dragon forms and i dont see any Southern White Crane forms Chuka Shaolin does not even use Sam Chien form that is in all the main four Fukien Southern White Crane styles.So in this article Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist is called Chukka and called a variant of Southern White Crane.I dont understand this can you clear up this confusion.

FIRE HAWK
06-08-2001, 07:12 AM
What kind of Southern Mantis is in Malaysia.Chu Gar,Chow Gar,Jook Lum,Iron Ox Southern Mantis.