PDA

View Full Version : Why the name game

Brad Souders
06-11-2002, 09:25 AM
Why is everyone so anti everything? In my prespective it doesn't matter what "style" u study its pretty simple. A punch is a punch. No matter what background you come from you hit some hard enough it breaks your hand. MMA or TMA. If i stab you, then guess what your going to bleed MMA or TMA.

The revend tim thread is pretty funny to me cause of him stating of all the ego driven BJJ players. (and there are alot of them) but omg guess what * there are those type of ego focks in every style* and its not the style's fault it's the person. Why do u think we have six thousand martial arts, it's cause everyone thinks their way is the best. And they are right it is for them. If i study bjj and i hit you in the face what happens? U fall down. Was it pretty. NO! Did it work? Yes? So does it matter if it was a bjj punch or a kung fu punch don't know ask the guy lying on the ground.

Tell me how i actually figth a style when each person is different. A style is a name. I guess if i wrote it on a piece of paper and cut it up is the only way. Maybe the key is not to say my jab with the fist coming in horizonal is better than your vertical way, but instead share ideas to make youre own self better. Cause your sifu can be the baddest motherfocker in the world but what good does that do u when your on your own in a fight?

Then we have the multiple person arguement. " Well if you go to the ground his buddy will stop your face" TRUE, BUT if you stand up then his buddy will kick you in the face. So when it comes to which style is better against multiple attackers, i guess it just depends where u like to take your beatings.

But like i said before what do i know i'm just a kid.

:D :D

The Willow Sword
06-11-2002, 09:46 AM
REMEMBER where you are buddy, you are in the KFM forums.
take a deep breath and twirl the medicine balls in your hand ,,let the ringing of the chimes sooth your stressed out head,
THEN come back to the forum,,and read for entertainment purposes.:D
Many Many Respects,,The Willow Sword

red5angel
06-11-2002, 09:52 AM
Brad, I think the key is in your first couple of sentences, some people just have to be anti- something. They misplace the love of thier art or anything else for that matter, for a dislike of other arts.
Any real martial artist is going tp have a healthy respect for any other art out there, whether they practice it, have seen it or not. We know BJJ works, some of us practice it, some of us have seen it used effectively. We know Taichi can be used effectively in a grappling type tourney! We know most of these arts if practiced correctly, can be applied as effectively as the rest. Some people just dont get passed the "my blank can beat uo your blank" argument.

Tigerstyle
06-11-2002, 09:57 AM
My blank can beat up your blank.

No_Know
06-11-2002, 10:47 AM
"Cause your sifu can be the baddest motherfocker in the world but what good does that do u when your on your own in a fight? "

Someone like that could tell me brief gems of how to's or what to look out fors that only that much experience would know.

DelicateSound
06-11-2002, 11:00 AM
I agree with most of that, except the going to the ground thing at the end. Awareness, awareness....

Anyway - I do agree, and you'll find most SERIOUS MA's [not 15 year olds] think this way.

Hell, I even know guys who make Karate work. :eek:

MonkeySlap Too
06-11-2002, 12:59 PM
Well, most of the time I like pretty much everything for what it is. It's the folks that are lieing or misrepresenting material - like OYD or SD that get my hackles up. Not so much critical as 'buyer beware'.

Other than that, I find discussing the merits of a style's strategy or thier fighting and training tactics to be useful conversation.

People do get really worked up over what is good or bad - and most of those folks will be shocked how their own perception of good and bad changes over time.

I find it is better to just shut up and train.