PDA

View Full Version : ALL INternal Martialartist I NEED YOUR HELP

dre_doggX
06-11-2002, 09:53 AM
am sick of this "Kungfu isnt a good sport" or it cant work in the UFC. Bull I here,

I have snapped, just snapped.
I know that Chen Tai ji Quan and Wing CHun isnt the best in every situation or preference. But I really need your help or your agreement, to but this WAR AGAINST KUNGFU to an end.

About Ninjutsu, I dont know alot about it, but the little I do know I like, and if ninjutsu stylist are good its not that Ninjutsu is the best martial art IMO but that Ninjutsu instructors, or good martial artist, training for the right things, are the right times. Anyway.

about U.F.C

Yeah I plan someday in Entering that then, as Chen Taijiquan.

and I want the Kungfu People here to do so.

Lets train hard, this U.F.C is a sport with rules,

how do I adapt Tai Ji to fight in this competition sport,

I gone to start rigorous training, like Standing MEd, low stances, and speed, sensetivity and Fa-jing, stuff,

Standing Meditiaon and QI-Gong, makes you fast, but I know I'll need to start training in the HEeavy Chen weapons to build strength. come on guys
I want all your advice.

I plan on developing a strong Qi skill, give me all you advice,
and dont stop.

Just keep it coming. Dont tell be I cant do it neither, I have snapped I cant take anymore of this "KUNGFU ISNT GOOD" crap anymore, so If I get em with Tai Ji one of the most misunderstood, Kungfus, I think this will be good for Kungfu artist of more respectable styles, like Wing Chun and San Shou.

wish me luck, I might go to Shaolin (for about a 6 months)before this. I am not sure yet.

Oh and BJJISTHEBEST, it would be something, if I say you there, in five years,

my name Andre Lashley, or Keith Andre Lashley.

Chen style Taijiquan

Stay real

Nexus
06-11-2002, 10:04 AM
The best advice I can give is don't wear yourself out and don't go too seriously that you don't get the chance to have fun with it. Sometimes the competitive nature of the martial arts can skew the enjoyable experiences that are at play.

Sometimes I lose sight of it too, and the next thing you know you aren't even having fun at something that you began doing because it was what you loved to do.

For me the martial arts are very special, and I greatly enjoy practicing them with others and on my own. My agenda at one time was to be the best and show everyone how skilled I was. It isn't that anymore, however each person has every right to choose the motivation behind why they do things.

My instructor once told me that we do t'ai chi with others so that we can learn to harmonize with people. I have spent some time when doing t'ai chi with others working on learning to flow with them and not contending and controlling them, but rather being receptive and open to the situation.

I wish you the best in your experiences! =)

- Nexus

Internal Boxer
06-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Well done Dre dogg, its nice to know that there are still some people out there who want to get some respect for taiji as a fighting art, and guess what the only way to do this is by going into full contact anything goes tournaments.

There are people who would have you believe that such tournies are a waste of time and hide behind the "Iam too deadly" when in fact there is plenty of tournie history with internal arts although mainly with xingyi. Wang shu-Jin (Bagua & Xingyi) was well reknown for taking on all comers.

Yang the invincible had to have continous fights to find out what actually works rather than theorizing about it as so many IMA practitioners do these days.

For me although others will disagree the UFC and comps like even though they are a sport they are the acid test for fighting ability. (would you rather have a UFC fighter watching your back in a fight or the average Taiji guy, I know this is a generalization but we must look at consistentcy in these two styles, a high percentage of IMA practioners I have met have a very limited ability to defend themselves.)

Unless of course you have been in dozens of street fights and kicked a$$ then you have the fight mentality often over looked. (but again others will say you can get this mentality or mind set without doing "acid test fighting", but this is an easy cop out for those who have and very little real or sport fighting experience).

Esteban
06-11-2002, 11:16 AM
Hi Dre,

good luck in your training. I hope you don't mind if I tell you a story. A friend of mine, who happens to be very religious, was brought to a bar for a party. At this place there was a tiny (8x8) boxing ring in the back, together with a few pairs of beat up boxing mitts. That was their way of providing entertainment and giving pugnacious clients a place to work out their disagreements. Sure enough, my friend got involved in a big argument, and the other guy invited him into the ring. My friend, having never boxed or studied any kind of martial arts, declined. He took the razzes and provocations for a while, until he finally said, "Look, I'll meet you back here in a month. I'll be ready to go then." That was all I heard. I didn't see him again for a few years. When I did, he told me what happened. The day after the challenge was set, he went down to a well known boxing gym in Brooklyn, near the bridge. He went up to a guy who looked knowledgeable, and who was coaching some other fighters, and he explained the situation. The coach looked at him for a moment and said that he couldn't possibly teach him to box in 30 days. But, he could give some exercises that might help. He told him to get two rolls of quarters. At home, the coach told him, he should put one roll in each hand and practice punching as fast as he could for as long as he could. Well, at first, my friend said that he could only manage 2 or 3 minutes. He was in good shape already, but obviously wasn't used to punching. Anyway, after a week or so, he was up to 10. At the end of three and 1/2 weeks, he was able to go for almost 40. He was elated, so he went back down to the gym to share his progress with the coach. He saw the old man, and he told him what he could do. The coach asked him if he was still going down to take the challeng. My friend said, "Yes!" The coach said, "But now, it will be murder."

Respects,
Esteban

No_Know
06-11-2002, 11:25 AM
Brush Knee and push. Anything can beat anything else if it is understuud enough and the Wind blows just right.

Patience. Practice. Tolerance. Practice. Humility. Practice. Comprehension. Practice. Some-such, some might say.

Scarletmantis
06-11-2002, 01:25 PM
Dre,

Your enthusiasim is admirable, and I wish you luck. One suggestion:

You mentioned many different internal training methods in your post, and I won't belabor thier efficacy here. One thing I noticed that you failed to mention was sparring. In my opinion, sparring should take the fore in your training program, as it will result in your gaining real fighting skills in addition to the tremendous Kung fu that you will need to develop using your traditional Chen training methods.

You will be required to fight several "qualifying matches" before you will be allowed to enter a proffessional match. UFC is considered by it's promoters to be for the NHB crowd what Championship Boxing is to that sport. They aren't even going to consider promoting a fighter who has never competed in amateur NHB because there is so much $$$ tied up in these events.

Also, don't expect to get paid alot, or even anything at all at first. You'll be expected to fork out a considerable amount of money at times in order to cover your travel costs, entry fees, medical expenses etc.

I suggest that rather than wait "until your ready", in other words, until you feel like your "unbeatable" (that time won't EVER come, trust me), participate in amateur events at the earliest opportunity. Fight in San Shou, Sanda, Pancration, even point sparring under continuous rules, in order to learn as much as you can about ring fighting while you gain a reputation. Good Luck!

Shooter
06-11-2002, 01:26 PM
The ideas are already contained in Tai Chi Chuan which allow its players to adapt their push-hands accordingly, but it requires a proper balance and organization.

-You need a coach who understands Tai Chi and Chi Kung equally as well as they understand the sport and how it's evolving.

-Then you need training partners who can apply pressure to your Tai Chi in the same basic manner that MMA players will.

A Tai Chi school which can provide that type of learning environment is a rare thing.

Best of luck.