PDA

View Full Version : Making a square dummy round

gnugear
06-11-2002, 10:46 AM
I'm about to embark on another dummy project. This time I'm laminating wood rather than carving a log.

What is the best way to round the edges if I don't have access to a lathe? I originally though a large wood plane would do the job, but then someone mentioned a belt sander.

I've never worked with a belt sander, but it sounds like an easy way to go. Would this be too slow of a process with a hard wood like ash? I want the easiest method possible!

red5angel
06-11-2002, 11:09 AM
Get a large powerful one! I used to sand wood staffs for extra money and it was hard work. Atleast it is one roughly one large piece instead of hundreds of small ones!
I imagine it could work but it will be hard awkward work.

gnugear
06-11-2002, 11:14 AM
I was looking at those basic $50 belt sanders. It looks like you can get really coarse sand paper to rough shape it.

I wonder if you need more of an industrial strength sander?

Jeez, maybe the wood plain would be better :confused:

red5angel
06-11-2002, 11:16 AM
Are you going to do each piece seperatley or put it together and then do it? that would make a big differnce I think. Also, I dont know about Uranus ;) but here in minneapolis we have places you can rent those types of things if you dont need to buy one.

gnugear
06-11-2002, 12:34 PM
LMAO!!:D

Yeah, Uranus is probably not the best place to install it.

... but I am going to glue it first and then round the edges.

red5angel
06-11-2002, 01:02 PM
Remember that the glue will gum up the paper too so plan on getting a load of it!

kungfu cowboy
06-11-2002, 02:04 PM
Maybe try this for less work: Draw circle onto square end. Cut corners at edge of circle off from top to bottom of dummy length. Then sand what's left.

anerlich
06-11-2002, 02:34 PM
Squaring the circle was a hot topic amonst the ancient Greeks, and their Chines counterparts.

Those are deep footsteps you are treading in.

Take a long time with a sander. Better to try hiring some sort of electric plane if you can, at least for getting the basic shape.

DelicateSound
06-11-2002, 02:48 PM
There is no way you can sand a square circular. Take a week.

Get the log, draw the circle as you want it. Use an electric saw IMO to lop off the corners into an octagon shape, then cleave off strips like it's ashish kebab.

Only use a sander to finish. But still get a rental-industrial band sander.

IronFist
06-11-2002, 02:56 PM
Why not use a 8.5" PVC pipe? Much easier to cut through.

Unless you like burrowing through wood with a chisel.

IronFist

DelicateSound
06-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Dont't advertise Ironfist :D

gnugear
06-11-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Why not use a 8.5" PVC pipe? Much easier to cut through.

Unless you like burrowing through wood with a chisel.

IronFist

The first one I made was out of PVC and it was a LOT easier to work with, but I prefer the weight and feel of wood. I'm also a glutton for punishment, so don't talk me out of it!:D

My current dummy is a solid log, and that was a little too much work ... and it's a bit lop sided.

Hau Tien
06-11-2002, 04:17 PM
I'm in the middle of making my dummy right now... Mine's a little different than a standard dummy, in that it spins, the arms are set stationary (no movement at all)... This is the dummy our Sifu teaches us on, so I figured I should make one like the one at the kwoon.

I used a 10" inner diameter PVC pipe (Ours are a little wider, too)... Picked that up for a case of beer at a construction site in town... they had a 9 foot piece of scrap sitting there and I made a bargain with the construction manager.

For the arms... you'll laugh... but I managed to find some nice, thick table legs... very plain, with very little "ornamental" lathe-work. They'll work perfect for the type of dummy I need.

The most expensive part thusfar has been the stand that I had welded to support the body and allow for the spin. The materials were like $7, but the shop cost was about $100.

Just gotta do some wood work, then it should be done... tomorrow, I hope:)

Hau Tien