PDA

View Full Version : Training for Women

Ryu
06-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Nothing controversial, just wanted you attention quicker. ;)

Tomorrow I'm going to help a female friend of mine work out a bit. She wants to lose a little weight and tone up. She's not new to working out, but no pro either. Any suggestions on the best things to cover?
I was thinking of a little jogging session, some jump rope routines, simple calistenics, and even some boxing (more aerobic boxing)

Any other thoughts?

Ryu

Ryu
06-11-2002, 03:18 PM
:mad: answer my darn thread!!

:)

DelicateSound
06-11-2002, 03:37 PM
Stacey should be banned.

Or shot.

Badger
06-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Hitting the heavy bag with 14-16 oz gloves.
squats & situps with medicine ball.
focus pad work.

Badger

DelicateSound
06-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Ryu: Obv.don't spar [unless she insists]

I'd keep it light and aerobic based esp. if she wants to slim. Try and add some martial aspect if she wants to learn self-defense, but yes, simple kickboxing. Thing [vomit] Tae-Bo.

Maybe some simple fast drills, and shuttle runs too. Shuttle runs'll wear her out.

Yep, Badger is right on bagwork. Chicks love the feeling of power :)

I helped one of my friends get fit last year for a charity sprint. Shuttleruns killed me nearly :D

Stacey - you are one sick ****er. Get the **** off this board and back onto the sh!tpile you came from.

Ryu
06-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Stace,
it's not self-defense she wants right now, she is after working out to get in shape. Not necessarily even martial arts related.

Ryu

Ryu
06-11-2002, 03:44 PM
BTW, Delicate, I vote for shot. ;)

Ryu
06-11-2002, 03:46 PM
Delicate, I'm thinking along the same lines as the "aerobic kickboxing" type of thing too...... I won't bring myself to say the words "Tae Bo" .....

Bag work I'll definitely have her do. But she needs to know how to punch properly first or she'll probably hurt herself.

Shuttleruns I didn't think of. I might just do that, but I don't want to make her sick or anything!

Ryu

DelicateSound
06-11-2002, 03:48 PM
Sorry if I flipped guys, but it really makesme sick when he makes comments like that.

A "False Rape". The guy with just a shirt and *******. What is that? To me that makes a mockery of every woman that has had to battle the physical and psychological effects of sexual assault.

I'll do the shooting myself if I can.Favoured weapon is a Remington pump thanks.

Badger
06-11-2002, 03:49 PM
Try doing some Escrima stick routines as well.

Badger

DelicateSound
06-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Shuttleruns are good psychologically too. The "just 5 more" mentality will help her to keep the momentum of exercise when you're not there. You feel like you can win the war.

Also for variety, how about circuit training with light weights [toning] and bagwork, with sit-ups and crunches.

Long jogs tend to get boring and cold, speed work less so IMHO.

Ryu
06-11-2002, 03:52 PM
:) What I find amazing is that I didn't flip out.
I guess I almost ignore him now most of the time. When satire becomes simply black humor it is no longer funny.

Anyway, back to the thread though. Thanks for the thoughts!

Ryu

DelicateSound
06-11-2002, 03:55 PM
Swiss and medicine ball work can be fun too.

Throwing the medicine ball is good partner work.

Skipping for cardio is MUCH better than jogging and a Grade-A warm-up.

As for black humour and satire:

1)M*A*S*H* was good satire.
2)American Beauty was good balck comedy.
3)Stacey is a good example of a sick still-pubescent mind.

pvwingchun
06-11-2002, 04:11 PM
You need to find out the goals of the person in training or wanting to be trained. If she wants to tone up and lose a little weight gear the exercises toward that. Aerobic exercise is good for that plus some lite weight training always helps with the strength factor. Just remeber good toned muscles burn more fat

I hope I haven't wasted anyones time.

Volcano Admim
06-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Ha, i know this Ryu guy, been posting all over many internet boards.

Looking for some new fine piece of ass as usual arent you.
"Training with women"
Yeah i know your **** training **** fine. You know **** right i now.

Ryu
06-11-2002, 05:20 PM
I'm gonna have to start learning how to live with my fame. :cool:

Stacey
06-11-2002, 05:50 PM
all I hear on these boards is how things aren't realistic enough.

Why is it considered cool, good training for a man to endure hard training and sparring. People marvel at the dog brothers and then think women's self defense should be assertiveley yelling "no" at someone dressed like a robotic mascot.

I think its best to play off their natural reactions and teach them techniques that work with how their body reacts, so they can remember them.

David Jamieson
06-11-2002, 06:13 PM
To me, there are only two conditions to working out using any regimen of your choice.

They are:

1. Begin

and

2.Continue

Start easy and progress with your friend. Don't let your enthusiasm overshadow her ability. Take it easy before you start pushing the limits.
Do the same exercises with her as you would do yourself.

peace

rogue
06-11-2002, 06:54 PM
Get her lifting weights and on a good healthy diet Ryu. Mrs Rogue went from chubby to hard body on weights alone and has maintained her shape after giving birth to two kids and cutting back on her workouts.

Cody
06-11-2002, 08:43 PM
I think sampling parts of typical warmup routines, including stretches, are good. Formula is to Structure and to Vary. Also, make sure she's hydrated before the workout.

Begin by getting the energy level up. I found jumping jacks (50) works for me. A light jog in place or around the block. Then, some stretches, without overstretching.

If she's too stiff to stretch to a "normal" degree in some areas, modify the exercise such that she can build on that, and also have a feeling of accomplishment, rather than a let down and consequent loss of focus. For instance, this can be done with a slight bend in the knee, rather than doing a straight-legged stretch, and mixing types of stretching. Awareness of where she is moving from, rather than concentration solely on the end result, is very important.

I would pay attention to trying to open the hips a bit, especially if she lacks flexibility in general. Exercise range of motion of shoulders and waist.

Play it by ear in terms of what exercises would be good for her, and pace it so she can continue thru the workout without collapsing in the corner. Work out with her and make it fun, and then act as coach with her continuing solo. This will build her motivation to work out on her own.

A certain energy level has to be maintained or the body goes to sleep and wants to stay that way in the case of someone who hasn't been exercising regularly or at all. The rhythm can be varied. When she gets stronger, using light weights on wrists and ankles for some of the workout might be good. Depends. Agree that aerobic and light weight training are a good combo.

Re the punching work. If she has an aggressiveness to her, even playfully, this could be good, if her posture and form aren't sloppy. However, if this doesn't suit her nature, I wouldn't push it.

In terms of diet. Someone I know just started the Belly-Off Weight-Loss plan via Mens Health. I know, it's for guys, but I tell you, this diet is awesome! You don't starve. I think a woman could make adjustments and emerge more slender and well-nourished, also nice-tempered (as opposed to the *****iness that often results from feeling radically deprived, or always hungry for something). Anyone who is interested in taking some weight off and not being made miserable in the process should take a gander at this plan.

Cody

Qi dup
06-11-2002, 09:06 PM
I'm with rogue on weights. Some girls seem to be affraid of lifting weights because they think they will get big. that's probably not gonig to happen. weights work really well.

wushu chik
06-11-2002, 09:17 PM
Ryu,
I personally would start her out slow and work her a lot with arobic type training, until she get's her stamina up. Even if she's "no stranger to working out" doesn't mean she has good stamina and cardio. Just don't burn her out, and all will be good!!!

~Wen~

No_Know
06-12-2002, 04:32 AM
Keeping the center still. Streches from the outside keep it up work the stretches in towards center.

scotty1
06-12-2002, 04:51 AM
Yeah man I'd get her fit cardio wise first, with jogging, skipping, stretching.

Then I'd continue doing that and add some calisthenics, very light weights. Bag work's good, but there are better things for getting toned if that's what she wants.

I see Stacey has deleted his post that got Delicate Sound mad.
Obviously he didn't stand by it.

meltdawn
06-12-2002, 06:06 AM
Stretching, sit ups, stairstepper, Atikins diet, sex, and oh yeah, kung fu!

Stacey
06-12-2002, 11:13 AM
I deleted nothing. Kung Lek must have done it.

having her to push ups won't save her. Teaching her body movement, how to wiggle on the ground and escape, basic positining,

1 joint lock based on the pinky finger
2. all the wrist releases you can
3. tiger claws, eagle claws to eyes etc.

Ryu
06-12-2002, 01:16 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. :) The appointment is in a few hours.

Stacey,
what part of "she just wants to get in shape" don't you understand?

Ryu

Kristoffer
06-12-2002, 01:58 PM
Why are u guys refering to Stacey as "He"? :confused: That's a male ***** everyone!!

Anyway on this traing thingy, Ryu, ONE word... Grappling :cool: :D

DelicateSound
06-12-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Ryu
Stacey,
what part of "she just wants to get in shape" don't you understand?

I always wonder what part of:

"You are a pathetic internet transvestite"

..that he doesn't understand.

Qi dup
06-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Consider lifting weights Ryu. Not to many things can burn calories for a long period of time like heavy lifting.

Ryu
06-12-2002, 10:50 PM
Things went great. :) I even got a great workout myself! :D
Basically we worked out for two hours doing different things. We warmed up with some stretches and then did two 3 minute jump rope drills. The actual workout focused on some shuttleruns (Delicate, this was a great suggestion. :) ) and afterwards we jogged for about a mile or so. When we got back I had her do 3 sets of 15 pushups (I did them too, but did 3 sets of 30) Then we kind of brought the energy levels down a bit as I taught her the mechanics of a boxing stance, high guard, and the jab and cross. When she had it down I took her through some focus mit training for the aerobics involved. She actually started liking the idea of punching me :D
I had her do some toning excercises with 5 pound weights to work her arms (something she had mentioned) and had her do 3 sets of 15-20 reps. I then had her do some tricep extensions with the same amount of sets and reps.
We finished off with about a 15 minute ab routine, and a cool down and stretching. :)

All in all she absolutely loved the training, and will be coming back again. Very motivating, very fun. For me as well. She said it was the best excercise she had gotten, and was better then anything she had done in the gym. That made me feel pretty good. (Though she knows she'll be sore in the morning)

Thanks for all the replies guys. They helped out.

Ryu

Volcano Admim
06-12-2002, 11:21 PM
So... did you grab a piece o' that ass

Mr Punch
06-13-2002, 12:03 AM
The above post was not only spelt right, but it also showed the development of a primitive sense of humour.

scotty1
06-13-2002, 01:20 AM
And no abuse, he's learning the ropes.

GeneChing
11-11-2015, 09:25 AM
This had to be posted somewhere and while there are other women-related thread, this thread seemed as good as any.

http://i0.wp.com/sbpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/martial-arts.jpeg?resize=750%2C400
Photo credit to martialartsguy.com

Anatomy and Gender in Martial Arts (http://sbpress.com/2015/11/anatomy-and-gender-in-martial-arts/)
Demi Guo Nov 10 MMA

The year is 2015.

The crowd of boys wait for their Kung Fu teacher, whom they don’t suspect is a woman. The classroom desks are pushed to the side, and the door is open for the teacher’s assistant, who walks in with a girl about five-years-old by his side.

“Are you sure about this?” he asks. She nods affirmative. “You can just try it,” he says, seeing her hesitation. “If you don’t like it, you can always go back to dance.”

At the Asian American Coalition for Education at Benjamin A. Cardozo High School, boys and girls from Kindergarten to the eighth grade are separated by gender into kung fu and dance.

Martial arts require flexibility. The boys may hate holding the horse stance, each crouching and plying all the weight of his body onto his knees, but they seem to hate the pu bu stance more, sinking to one knee and stretching out the other. “This is for girls,” they complain. “Boys are bad at flexibility!” This same complaint is echoed in each class—the first graders, the third graders, the fourth graders, the middle schoolers.

They are young. Understandably, balancing flexibility and strength may not be important to them right now, and neither is Kung Fu, which is a part of the coalition’s summer school curriculum. Martial arts, as with all physical activity, stretches into one’s lifestyle, not just a few months. It takes years to achieve focus, flexibility, muscle and the balance to use them all.

Much of the difficulty comes from muscle memory, Jason Iannelli, a 20-year-old Stony Brook University junior, concluded. The former soccer player propped himself up on the bench press, fiddling with his phone as he took a break. Around him, the Stony Brook University Recreation Center’s weightlifting room was abuzz with men at about eight in the evening. One of the two women in the room had walked out.

He had not thought flexibility was important until his weightlifting injury. Yoga relaxed his strained lower back muscles and taught him to balance flexibility and endurance. It had not been easy; weightlifting and stretching are radically different.

“I didn’t think it was necessary,” Calvin Li, a 19-year-old sop****re, echoed as he watched the men’s soccer team in the recreation center. The way stretching activities, including yoga, are portrayed in daily lives influences many people’s perceptions of them from a very young age. As a runner and weightlifter himself, he noticed since middle school that, because of commercials and social media, he and other boys would think of stretching as “a girl thing.”

Iannelli echoed the sentiment by noting a “stigma” for girls lifting weights. “All women feel, if they go to the gym and lift once, their bodies will improve, he said. “It’s not about that. It’s all about you, all about your lifestyle, all about changing your lifestyle.” But he added that without the stigma of weightlifting being exclusive to men, there would be more women feeling comfortable with something so radically different from yoga.

Amy Guzman, a 21-year-old junior, was used to the stares she got walking into the weightlifting room. “That’s why I come late,” she said.

She likes weightlifting, but the idea of going to the gym in the daytime repels her. It repels many girls who think of weightlifting. “Some girls don’t wanna lift,” she said, “and a lot of them feel awkward.” She started weightlifting at 10-pounds. Now she works her chest muscles at 30.

“Girls don’t have testosterone,” Li said. He understood that girls could not build muscle and endurance with the same stamina as boys. But he also noticed that in commercials about yoga the set would be full of women.

Around middle school, he remembered, boys were geared towards muscle and bodybuilding. “Because of social media,” he finished, “guys just want to be looking fresh.”

Li had not even approached stretching. The only time men stretch, he said, is before a workout, like a soccer game.

That is why, Guzman said, the weightlifting room is full of men.

In China, the Shaolin Temple has, since its founding in 464 A.D, been associated with the birth of all Chinese martial arts, even stretching overseas to influence karate and Taekwondo. It has also symbolized an archaic Chinese split between the north and the south. In the north, including Beijing and Henan, where the Shaolin Temple resides, the people are “manly,” practicing hard martial arts including Shaolin and modern Wushu. Shaolin practitioners often condition themselves to have the “iron body,” so that even modern day monks can press moving drills into their temples without injury. The south is seen as “feminine,” practicing southern martial arts including wing chun, whose movements emphasize relaxing all muscles and fluidly turning the opponent’s strength against them. Its movements, described as “tiger-like” by some northerners, are small and subdued.

Because of the bombastic and wide Wushu movements borne from Shaolin, its popularity has spread as the staple of all Chinese martial arts, “Kung Fu.” It is associated in martial arts films as a practice of endurance and strength, with Jet Li and the 1991 “Once Upon a Time in China,” movie theme, whose name in English is “The Determination of a Man.”

The association stereotypes martial arts into an all-strength, all-men practice, the same way social media and commercials stereotype yoga into all-women and weightlifting into all-men.

But Shaolin masters know better. A woman’s bones, they would teach in the Shaolin Temple Overseas Headquarters in Flushing, Queens, are softer, making them harder to break.

The masters, Toby Song and Kun Lan, came to New York from a lifetime at the temple and, respectively, a martial arts village and Shaolin family. During their classes they would grab a student’s hand and pull it back by the wrist as far as it would bend. “This is the limit,” they would say in Chinese, “of a man’s wrist. At this point, his wrist would shatter. But a woman’s wrist would bend back further. It’s more work to break her bones.”

The story is similar in Stony Brook University’s Taekwondo club. Often, while doing splits, muscled men could hardly touch their knees to the floor, while women with little stretching experience could.

Nuttita Numsinvichietchai, a black belt, leads club exercises with a smile.

Her friend back in Thailand is a champion Muay Thai boxer. “But if you saw her body without a head,” she said, “you would think she’s a man. But I stopped because I want to continue wearing dresses.” Muay Thai is infamous in the martial arts community for being inherently brutal, implying training as physically demanding as the Shaolin Temple’s, for which Song would practice 10 hours a day despite rain, snow and sun.

Song taught his students in Flushing endurance, many of his classes involving racing and practicing each form 10 times a class. He wore gloves when demonstrating flips on female students, as if trying to be a gentleman. He taught students to stretch their shoulders forward for a longer range punch, as well as hip pivoting between stances—movements made easier with nubile joints. His methods, he reminded his students, were still gentler than the ones he had been subject to.

Song is now 26. His days at the temple were not long ago.

The year is 2015.

In 2019, the middle schoolers will be in high school. In New York City’s public education system, there are more varsity sports and gym classes. The little girl, an anomaly, is treated like anyone else in the class full of boys. She talks to them and fools around with them during class. But in the end, it took asking to get herself put in Kung Fu instead of dance.

Maybe the girls all happened to choose dance instead of Kung Fu. Either way, all the boys were surprised to see a woman teaching them.

Li recalled an incident he saw more than once.

“Influence can come from your mom or your dad. I’d see a girl running around someplace and they’d tell her, ‘You can’t run around.’ And they’d stop. If you’re a guy it’s okay. They wouldn’t say anything then.”

Song shows off sometimes. All the masters do. He used to jump to the second floor of the temple instead of taking the stairs. Kun Lan could break concrete blocks with his bare hands if he wanted to. As lifelong students of the temple, they are capable of weightlifting effortlessly with one hand and extending their legs over their navels, over their heads for long periods of time. They are masters because they achieved this balance of flexibility, strength and focus, traits they preach as the nirvana of “Kung Fu.”