PDA

View Full Version : Punching the stomach/Breathing

grifter721
06-11-2002, 02:31 PM
I recently heard that when you get hit you should exhale insted of tensing up which makes sense. I soar often and I cant get it into my head yet, keeping in mind that I keep my body well protected. But I train with good sense so I came up with an excercise. My Partner and I stand in front of eachother and punch eachother left right/exhaleing each time you recive the blow.
Is this a good thing to do or no? Does anyone train as such?

Former castleva
06-12-2002, 07:44 AM
At first,I´m not an expert,but this is how I see it.
Your words make sense in a way,but because of my previous confession,I´m not going to rate your exercise in any way.
I know at least karate people are aware about this.
Often in arts,like karate,breathing is regulated to fit the movement.
When you hit,you may exhale.
So after having hit,you have got more power to the strike and possibly caused more damage.
If you get hit afterwards,this can help you.
If you get hit after you hit with your breathing (exhaling)
you may be in a better position,as there is less change of getting the wind knocked out of you,even if you got hit,which could have been worse.
Having strong abdominal muscles can also help.
I think I shall say that there is an area in stomach (solar plexus)
which will wind anyone up,if hit.
Attacking this area can be dangerous.
Train smart and train hard.

:)

IronFist
06-12-2002, 12:10 PM
I recently heard that when you get hit you should exhale insted of tensing up which makes sense

Grifter, I don't know what kind of exhaling exactly you are talking about, but sharp exhaling kind of tightens your abs automatically. Try it. Stand up and hit yourself in the stomach while tightening your abs the normal way. Feel it? Ok, now hit yourself in the stomach while doing a sharp exhalation.

I know it's not exact, but it feels kind of the same, right (in terms of abs being tensed)?

Maybe someone with more info on this wants to speak.

IronFist

grifter721
06-12-2002, 01:49 PM
yeh I hear what you are saying Iron fist. My cousin has been doing Muay Thai for 30 years and he has been in a lot of"battles"ide o the ring and he told me that 9 out of 10 times someone gets knocked out is because they take too many shots to teh body and dont breath properly while recieving those blow. I will ask him more about it.

premier
06-13-2002, 07:26 AM
Yeah. I agree with IronFist on this. Definitely exhale and tense your abs. You can't really inhale while tensing them.

The exercise you described is good and I do it myself, but just be careful with it. Punch your partner relaxed and soft. It's not supposed to be a drill to develope punching tolerance, just to develope a breath out + abs tensing reaction when you get hit in the abdomen. Remember to grouch slightly and drop down a bit by bending the knees and keep your hands on guard.

Bruce Lee used to have a heavy ball dropped on his stomach, but that's pretty dangerous. You need to have your abs in excellent condition and timing has to be perfect.

premier