PDA

View Full Version : Strained Pec minor

Serpent
06-11-2002, 08:01 PM
Hey all

A friend of mine has strained his Pectoralis Minor muscle (which is the smaller muscle that runs diagonally under the main pec, from the 3rd to 5th rib up to the shoulder). It's a deep muscle strain which has apparently been lingering for a while.

Any suggestions of good ways to help this heal? Massage and warmth is about all he's used so far, and rest of course.

Thanks for any tips.

IronFist
06-11-2002, 11:10 PM
I'd go see a doctor.

IronFist

Serpent
06-11-2002, 11:17 PM
So what would a doctor say? Rest it and take these drugs probably. Any tips not including drugs? I don't have much faith in western quacks and I know my friend doesn't either.

PLCrane
06-12-2002, 08:27 AM
It's pretty common for the pect minor to go into spasm from overworking the front muscles and underworking the back muscles (traps, rhomboids, etc.) When it cools off, he should do some stretching of the pects and strengthening of the posterior muscles.

Serpent
06-12-2002, 06:50 PM
Sounds like good advice to me. Many thanks guys, I'll pass it on.

Serpent
06-12-2002, 06:52 PM
PLCrane

What good body weight exercises are there for strengthening the posterior muscles as you suggest?

PLCrane
06-12-2002, 07:37 PM
Um, good question. Pretty much anything that brings the shoulder blades together without letting them come up. Rowing works, and so does standing in horse with fists in chamber, elbows pulled back and shoulder blades pulled together and down. This will stretch the pect minor, too. I'll leave it up to you to decide how long to tell your bud to stand like this.

Serpent
06-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Cool. Thanks very much.

:)

IronFist
06-12-2002, 09:09 PM
What would a doctor say? Beats me. How did he strain it? j/w.

IronFist

Serpent
06-12-2002, 09:45 PM
What does j/w mean?

Julie Webster? Jilted Warrior? Jester Washing?

Ah, Just Wondering?

Heh. There's a million of 'em! ;)

Anyway, How did he strain it? No idea, I didn't ask. Probably training his kung fu. I don't think he does weight training or anything like that, so probably bag work or sparring, or maybe body weight exercises. This is all speculation, of course, but that's the kinda stuff he does.

PLCrane
06-16-2002, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
PLCrane

What good body weight exercises are there for strengthening the posterior muscles as you suggest?

Supine pull-ups. Does anyone do these, or did I just make up a new one?

IronFist
06-16-2002, 12:00 PM
j/w = just wondering :)

IronFist

ElPietro
06-18-2002, 11:47 AM
If you strain a muscle you should ice it 2-3 times a day and take some ibuprofen (advil) this will reduce the inflammation stage. Keep it rested for a while and then you will need to start doing some light exercise and also some light dynamic movements. I can't recommend exact movements for rehab as I'm not a physiotherapist but if you need professional advice seek a therapist. A doc won't really know what to do to recuperate with as little permanent affect as a therapist would.

Serpent
06-18-2002, 09:08 PM
From experience, ice is only good for the first day (the day of the injury) to help reduce swelling. After that ice is counter-productive. Heat is better to increase bloodflow and aid faster healing after the first day. Otherwise, I agree with what you said about the therapist.