PDA

View Full Version : Stretching

Sleemie
06-12-2002, 12:29 PM
I know this is probably a very basic question for all you advanced dudes on here, but I'm just beginning my training so you'll have to bear with me....

The question is on stretching...all my life I've been taught that you stretch to the point of pain and hold it, and I've taken it a step further and would actually push to the point of it being as painful as I could bear, but without pushing to the point of doing damage. However, I just read an article that said you should never hold your stretch at the point of pain, that you should actually take about 30-40 seconds to get all the way in to the stretch, and just when you get to the point of feeling the first twinges of pain you back off just slightly until the pain is gone and then hold the stretch for 20-30 seconds in the beginning, and then holding it longer as you get more advanced. The article said that stretching should be relatively easy and definitely pain free. I've never stretched pain free, but I've also never stuck with it long enough to see if my method was productive...

So, what's the story on stretching, and can anyone recommend a good free source on the internet for more information on stretching.

Thanx a bunch.

IronFist
06-12-2002, 12:50 PM
It's kind of expensive, but the best book on stretching you will ever read is "Relax into Stretch" by Pavel Tsatsouline.

He's written two other books on stretching, and a video or two, but the one I mentioned above is the only one I've ever read. I'm sure his other ones are very good as well, however.

IronFist

Sleemie
06-12-2002, 01:18 PM
What about Bill Wallace's "Dynamic Stretching and Kicking?" It's only like $10 bucks. It may not be as good as the other one, but if that get's an A and this one only gets a B, for the price difference it's worth it.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-12-2002, 06:45 PM
once you have ben streaching for a while you can take it to the point where you fell the stretch but not pain. it takes a while to tell the difference. definately go with the advice given in the article, but you dont neccessarily have to hold it for that long. i have had excellent results doing a stretch for 10 seconds, 20, and then 30.

IronFist
06-12-2002, 08:31 PM
Bill Superfoot Wallace, eh? Well, his end product is good, but I don't know anything about his methods of stretching to get there. For $10 it's probably not bad though. However, I gaurantee you that Pavel's will be the best book you've ever read. If you get it, have a local bookstore order it for you so you won't have to pay shipping :) But if you really can't get enough money to buy it, then go for Bill Wallace's book. That's my advice.

IronFist

wooha
06-13-2002, 06:20 AM
I have to say though, that if you use Pavel's isometric stretching techniques, there will be pain.. lots of pain.

Every time I train side splits I find myself saying under my breath "You're gonna pay for this Pavel".

Seriously though, do some research. I highly recommend Relax Into Stretch, but at the very least read Brad Appleton's FAQ (http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/) and maybe Tom Kurz's columns (http://www.stadion.com/column.html).

Happy stretching.:D

Sleemie
06-13-2002, 07:37 AM
Is the pain from stretching the muscles and tendons? Cuz I've been hearing that that's a bad thing and counter productive.

stoli
06-13-2002, 10:53 AM
As said previously, do some research. Get to your local library and get hold of all the books you can on stretching, read them and try out the stretches.

Everyone's different and will find different techniques work for them, in my opinion there's often good and bad in all the methods and I've found the best results come from mixing and matching.

Take it very steady, a dull pain is, unfortunately, to be expected but any sharp pain is a bad sign!! Sure that someone will post something in more depth, sorry I don't have time myself now!!

Generally you do need to stretch the connective tissues for a good stretch but watch the form, damaging those can be very, very bad!!!

Also look at your goals, if all you want is functional stretching (for general health and better kicks) work for that, there's no need to go all out for the splits if you don't need to (and most of us don't!)

Sleemie
06-13-2002, 11:03 AM
I read some of the Kurtz stuff and it seems pretty good. Is anyone familiar with his book "Stretching Scientifically?"

stoli
06-13-2002, 11:07 AM
Yes Sleemie, have the book. Very, very good IMHO. Well worth trying his approach, I found it especially good for the functional stretching.

IronFist
06-13-2002, 11:41 AM
Stretching tendons: bad.

Relaxing muscles to stretch further: good.

IronFist

Kannik
06-13-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Sleemie
I read some of the Kurtz stuff and it seems pretty good. Is anyone familiar with his book "Stretching Scientifically?"

As someone who has found themselves way inflexible (much to my chagrin) I've looked at a bunch of books. Kurtz' book is very good, and I've used it to tailor my warmup/etc routine (only dynamic stretches before class, for example). He gives lots of good info, its easy to follow, etc.

Another book that's good is Stretch and Strengthen by Judy Alter. Its in a totally different vein than Kurtz's book, but using the two together I have had some good results.

Took over a smeggin year (but I wasn't pushing myself 100%), but good results. }:)

Kannik

Sleemie
06-13-2002, 01:13 PM
I'm gonna give the Bill Wallace book a shot, Dynamic Stretching and Kicking, to see how that works. I can't find the Kurz book in stock in any of the local book stores to be able to take a look at it, and I'm impatient so I'll go with what I can get now. It got a lot of good reviews on Amazon, and it's only $15.00. I'm not looking to do splits or super duper high kicks, I'm just looking for something that will help teach me the correct way to stretch in order to improve my kicks safely and effectively, and I assume the Wallace book will do that. The information on this post has been a real eye opener. I've always thought you improved your kicking through static stretching, and that's what I've been doing for the last few days or so, and I overdid it yesterday and now my hammies are sore, which I've learned should not be the case if I were stretching correctly.

wooha
06-14-2002, 06:26 AM
Yup, if all you're looking to do is improve your kicks, dynamic stretching is the way to do it. I imagine that book will be perfect.

If I remember correctly, Pavel talks in his book about how Bill Wallace developed his splits beyond horizontal, I think to somewhere approaching 200 degrees apart. He found he was way too loose to kick effectively and actually had to regress his flexibility back to a 180 degree split.

I'm impressed anyway.

Sleemie
06-14-2002, 06:44 AM
I ordered the kurz book "Stretching Scientifically," but it's supposed to take a few weeks to arrive, and that's IF Barnes and Nobles can get ahold of it. Anywho, I was wondering if someone who's got the book could explain how to do some exercises using the dynamic stretching techniques. I guess I've been brainwashed by reading some of his articles and I don't want to continue with the same path of only doing the traditional static stretching exercises and then going out and practicing kicks.

I bought the Bill Wallace book, and it seemed like there was really nothing new or different in it, maybe I'm just ignorant to all this stuff, but it pretty much looks like the same ole traditional static stretching that everyone else is doing. Am I missing something?

wooha
06-14-2002, 07:39 AM
Eh? :confused:

Didn't you say the book was called Dynamic Stretching and Kicking? How come it's just got the same old static stretching stuff in it? Doesn't it have anything on dynamic stretching at all?

How strange.

Anyway, I'm usually reluctant to give out advice on this kind of thing over the Internet in case someone goes off and cripples themselves by slightly misunderstanding me. Instead I usually pass the buck by pointing in the direction of a well written document or site.

So go and read the dynamic stretching part of the FAQ (http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/) I posted earlier.

We're basically talking slow, controlled leg swings, gradually increasing the range of motion as your muscles loosen up. I usually do say, three sets of twelve swings to the front, then side, and rear. I'm fairly sure Tom Kurtz (http://www.stadion.com/column.html) covers these in his columns - with diagrams - go read them again.

Just make sure you're not swinging too hard and doing ballistic stretches instead of dynamic. That's a good way to tear a muscle.

As Ironfist hinted - 'stretching' is actually a bit of a misnomer. See, increasing a muscle's range of motion shouldn't involve physically stretching it. It's more about teaching your reflexes to allow your muscles to go that far.. or 'Relaxing into the stretch'. This applies to dynamic stretching as well as static.

Another thing - Strong muscles are easier to 'stretch' than weak muscles, and are less prone to injury from overstretching. If you strengthen the muscles you're trying to stretch you'll probably make gains much quicker. This is partly why isometric stretching is so good.

Sorry - Information overload. I love talking about stretching.

wooha
06-14-2002, 07:42 AM
Here you go, this (http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch5.html) should help you more than any description you're going to get off any of us in this forum.

Have fun.:)

Sleemie
06-14-2002, 08:09 AM
Sorry to be a nuasance, but since you love to talk about stretching, and I need to hear about it right now, I guess this should work out fine. I did read a bit on the isometric stretching, could you describe how to do a few specific exercises so I can create a routine for my lower body, to include the lower back. Right now, I'm basically concerned about stretching for kicking, I'll just go with what we do in class for my upper body. From what I read, you should not do isometric stretching every day. As I think about it, could you give me some advice on a stretching routine, without being overly ambitious at this point because I don't want to get discouraged or burned out on stretching, but rather begin with a moderate routine and work my way up. This is my situation...I go to class on M-W-F evenings, and during warming up we do some static stretching, and we practice kicking, stances and some basic punching/blocking techniques. I also want to do some more effective type of stretching on my own either before or after class, such as the dynamic or isometric (whichever one you recommend), and I also want to stretch on the days when I don't have class. Ideally I'd like to stretch in the morning and evening, but to be realistic knowing how I am about getting up in the mornings, I want to start with a once a day in the evening routine, possibly twice a day on weekends when I don't have to get up so early for work and all, but during the week once a day.

I really appreciate this.

Scott R. Brown
06-14-2002, 08:47 AM
Sleemie,

Before I give you my thoughts let me give you little bit about my background. I have been performing stretching exercises (yoga as well) almost daily for 30 years and have participated in the martial arts for 25 years. I am not naturally flexible as some people are fortunate enough to be blessed. I stretch for about an hour a day and have been performing the full splits for over 25 years. I am presently 43 years old.

The recommendation that you posted in your original post is excellent advice. I would start with that and learn from how your body responds. Some individuals are naturally flexible so they can get away with more dynamic types of stretching. You should not start with these types of stretching until you have developed a strong base of flexibility.

Developing flexibility takes time, patience and consistency. I would stretch 5-6 days a week in the manner prescribe in your original post. Stay away from the dynamic and isometric types of stretching for a couple of years. They will not significantly affect the speed of your progress and can substantially hinder you because it is easier to injure yourself.

Absolutely do not do serious full on stretching twice a day until you have developed a good amount of flexibility. A small warm up type stretch in the morning is okay, but not a full in depth program. Your muscles cannot handle it yet. Wait at least 2 years or more depending on how consistent you are able to be with your stretching. You will end up over stretching and pull or tear your muscles and possibly your ligaments. Injuries interfere with your training progress so it is always better to do a little too less than too much. Ligaments take a very long time to heal because they have very limited blood flow, so you want to avoid injury to them as much as possible.

It is okay to do some light stretching before your training, but generally save the full stretching program for after your workout when your muscles are warm. A full stretching program when your muscles are cold should be an absolute no-no for you. I will do cold stretching at times myself, but I have been at it for a very long time and have made my mistakes so I know what my limits are. I would avoid serious stretching when you muscles are cold until you have developed more body awareness.

I hope this information is of some benefit to you.

wooha
06-14-2002, 08:48 AM
No problem.

From what you've posted, your goal is basically to improve your kicking. I'd say all you really need to do is focus on your dynamic stretching. Just do the routine highlited in the Tom Kurz article I posted. Leg swings to the front, side and rear - once or twice a day if you can. You don't need to warm up if you're easing into it nicely. It should only take 15 minutes or so. Then practise your kicks as much as you can and you'll be a kicking genius in no time.

I wouldn't worry too much about isometric stretching unless you're looking to improve your ability to sit in the splits or something. My comment about isometrics to increase strength was just a bit of a side point. You could strengthen the muscles by lifting weights just as effectively.

A point about isometrics. I strongly advise not doing isometric stretches before your workout or martial arts lesson. In fact, if you're going to do isometric stretching, leave it 'till after you're done working out for the day or for a day when you're not going to be exercising.

I've made this mistake a couple of times. Each time I've not been able to sleep an entire night due to the pain. Not recommended. :eek:

And yes, don't do isometrics every day. Three times a week is more than enough.

Coming up with a routine for someone over the Internet is difficult. For one thing I can't see where you are with your stretching at the moment. Some people are more comfortable with certain stretches than others. It's very individual.

If you've got more specific queries I'll be glad to address them as best I can.

Sleemie
06-14-2002, 09:07 AM
Thank you both for your posts...

A question for Scott, though...I'm not disputing what you're saying, because you definitely sound like you're pretty much an expert at this, and I don't know squat, but I'm just trying to understand better. About the dynamic stretching, from what I read from Kurz, he says that you shouldn't practice static stretching for the purpose of increasing your kicking flexibilty, and in fact, that doing static stretching before practicing kicking can actually be dangerous. I was under the impression from reading his stuff that beginners can do dynamic stretching, but that they have to take it very slowly and not over do it. Again, not trying to dispute you at all, just trying to understand better.

Thanx

wooha
06-14-2002, 09:14 AM
Scott, you sneaked that post in just before I pressed submit. Hate it when that happens.

Anyway, really good advice, but it seems more directed at increasing the ability to perform the full splits. Sleemie seemed more interested in improving his kicking skills.

From all my research and experience, dynamic stretching is the best way to do that. I've met countless martial artist that can perform the most amazing high kicks, yet when you watch them performing static stretches in a warm up or warm down, a lot of them have trouble even touching their toes.

What are your views on this?

I would think that it's ok for someone to practise dynamic or isometric stretching at an early stage in their stretching career as long as they're doing it correctly and taking the right precautions. I guess you're right that they may not have the necessary body awareness to know how to perform the exercises correctly, I'm just not sure I'd be quite that cautious.

Hope this doesn't sound confrontational. I'm just interested in a bit of debate to pass some time when I should be working.

This is another one of those areas where there are so many different methods and viewpoints it must be pretty confusing for someone just learning about it.

:)

Scott R. Brown
06-14-2002, 09:41 AM
Sleemie and wooha,

You are both very cordial and I take no offense with your questions. I am always happy to answer.

First, it is important to remember that as with all things every expert has their own opinion based upon their experience. Also, just because someone published a book, or a specific method is popular does not make it the best method to use. Methods of stretching have followed a progression of fads over the last 30 years. Some are beneficial, some are a waste of time. None are inherently better the than the tried and true (and safer) method of slow gentle stretching.

All the methods mentioned in this thread can work for just about anyone. However, our question is how to develop flexibility in the quickest and safest way.

Dynamic stretching increases the opportunity for injury. At Sleemie’s age we want to avoid over stretching because he basically has fewer years to waste recovering from injuries than a teenager or someone in their early twenties. Gentle dynamic stretching can be appropriate, but it is easy to get carried away and over stretch. The general excitement and competitive nature in many martial arts classes will tend to increase the chance of injury. Slow gentle stretching provides greater control and will lessen the opportunity for injury. The reason that slow static stretching is of benefit is that it becomes more difficult to over stretch when you perform dynamic stretching within your class. My life has literally been saved and I have avoided very serious injury a number of times because of my flexibility. It is possible to be too flexible if one’s muscular strength in not appropriate for their level of flexibility. This is why Bill Wallace had to reduce his 200 degree split back down to 180 degrees.

It has been in vogue to criticize the slow static method of stretching periodically over the last 30 or so years, but it is the most tried and true method and involves the least chance of injury and will provide for the most consistently flexible condition through your everyday activitiesA. Of course it does take a couple of years to develop the base, but it is by far the best and healthiest way to develop flexibility, regardless of what the most recent fad mongers say. It really comes down to who you choose to accept as your authority. You can always experiment and see which works best for you. But you at least have my recommendation.

I work nights and need to get some sleep now so if either of you have any further questions for me I will be happy to answer them later today.

I hope I have been of some help to you both,

Scott R. Brown
06-14-2002, 10:01 AM
Sleemie,

Okay a few more comments before I go to sleep. I re-read your post above. and I guess I should say a few more things.

It is not necessarily hazardous to do static stretching prior to kicking. There are certainly some precautions one should take, but it is a foolish statement of Kurz. I have taught Martial arts for over 25 years and have never had a student develop any problems whatsoever from static stretching prior to our training. I consider his comment ignorant or at least ill-informed.

However, having said this I do recommend the majority of static stretching be performed following the workout and not prior. The danger of static streching prior to training only comes about if the training is too intense too soon after the stretching. Or if the student has over-stretched. That is stretched beyond their physical limit, but not necessarilly pulled a muscle. As with all exercise, intensity should be increased gradually to avoid injury.

Static stretching is excellent for developing kicking flexibility, however one must still perform kicks. Nothing is better than performing the specific activity. Static stretching will increase your kicking flexibiilty, but it is primarily necessary to protect you from over stretching when performing kicks. This is very easy to do.

Later on when I have more time I will give you my "kick stretching" program. It is the warm up program I follow prior to performing my kicks. I generally perform my static stretches following my kicking workout.

Sleemie
06-14-2002, 11:34 AM
Okay....thanx again for the information, and I would really appreciate the information on a routine.

On the dynamic stretching.....maybe I should clarify on what I intended on doing with that because it's a very simple routine that I see as being less strenuous and dangerous than performing the actual kicks themselves, unless of course I don't understand it correctly. As instructed by Kurz and wooha, I was simply going to gently raise the leg forward/backwards/sideways in a kicking motion and then towards the end of the lift put a LITTLE bit of velocity on it, and then do like a set of 12 of those for each direction and each leg. Whereas when I do a kick, I'm putting a lot of velocity when I raise my leg to do the kick, so I figured the dynamic stretching is safer than actually kicking.

It sounds almost like I'm back to the beginning with all of this, which is what I was previously taught over the years.....that the best way to improve the flexibility of my kicks is to simply do the kicks, and to do the static stretching to keep from pulling a muscle while practicing the kicks.

I dunno.....I so confuuuused...

Kannik
06-14-2002, 12:51 PM
The main thing to know about and to be sure to do with dynamic stretches is that it is not the same as ballistic stretching and you have to be careful to be sure it doesn't turn into that. The key is to kick your hand while doing the stretches, and to position the hand at about the limit of your flexibility. This does two things: allows your body not to 'slow down' at the end of the swing (since it knows it will be stopped) and prevents one from overstretching.

When you start out, place your hand around waist-height and increase the hand a little bit each kick, feeling your way along. Kicks should be speedy, but not class-speed (and not be a leg lift either). You may feel a bit of tightness while kicking, but you shouldn't feel pain. Over time, you'll be able to start your hand higher and also need less time to achieve maximum height. Stop the drill when you can't really go any higher -- kicking for too long at the same height will train the neurons not to go further.

I used to do this routine every morning after about 10 minutes of joint rotations and light warm-up, and didn't suffer any injury and saw my flexibility increase. And let me tell you, after years of bike riding and studio, I am one very inflexible guy :P. I think 95% of the people in my KF class are more flexible than I...

Hope this helps a bit,

Kannik

Sleemie
06-14-2002, 01:30 PM
should the speed of the kick be consistent from start to end, or should the end of it be a bit quicker with a little more lift to it then the rest of it.

Scott R. Brown
06-14-2002, 02:42 PM
Sleemie,

That program sounds safe enough to me. Slow is always better than fast. Static stretching will increase your overall flexibility faster, but performing both types together will be of great benefit. I am mostly concerned that you protect yourself from injury. Believe me I have injured myself seriously before. Over 20 years ago I actually dislocated my hip performing kicks improperly and with improper clothing. If I had not been exceptionly flexible I would have had much more damage than I sustained. As it was it took about 18 months to completely heal. Because of my flexibility I have no permanent damage. I can kick now as I did then.

My kick warmups are just about the same as the dynamic stretch program that you have designed, except that I don't do any dynamic movements. Think of them as just doing the kicks while holding onto the kitchen counter and stretching the base leg while moving the kicking leg in perfect kicking form. I adjust the stretch intensity by adjusting the height of the kick and the lean of my body. I perform about 20 kicks per leg in sets of 10 alternating legs and do Front kick, Side kick, Front legged Roundhouse, and Hook kicks. It takes about 15-20 minutes depending upon how long I take inbetween sets and how stiff I am that particular day. I still begin my kicking workout slow until my leg muscles get warmed up. These stretches will increase my immediate flexibility, but they do not warm up the muscles enough to perform fast hard kicks.

Don't worry too much about getting confused. You will progress no matter which system you use as long as you start slow and protect yourself from injury. For every person you will find a different opinion. All we can go on is our personal experiences. Soon you will have enough experience to share your own opinion with all of us. You are doing the right thing by investigating the opinions of those that have gone before you. LOL!!! The hardest decsion is usually trying to determine who to believe. Experiment for yourself and you will find what works for you. Everyone's path is slighty different anyway.

The most improtant things to remember with stretching is are: 1) be consistent, and 2) protect yourself from injury. From there it just takes time.

I hope this helps.

wooha
06-15-2002, 01:48 AM
Scott,

You didn't mention whether you performed the kicks in your warm-up fast or slow. If you're performing them fast, I'd argue that you are actually performing dynamic stretches. If you're performing them slowly, you're actually performing an active stretch. Either way, this is not static stretching.

In any case, I'd agree that this is a good way to begin your kicking workout.

It is not necessarily hazardous to do static stretching prior to kicking. There are certainly some precautions one should take, but it is a foolish statement of Kurz. I have taught Martial arts for over 25 years and have never had a student develop any problems whatsoever from static stretching prior to our training. I consider his comment ignorant or at least ill-informed.

You agree later on in your post that there is a danger if the physical activity or the stretching is too intense. I think Kurtz is simply highlighting this factor in his writings. His main point is that static stretching isn't actually helpful in preparing for a kicking workout.

I've spoken to several martial artists and gymnasts that have said that after static stretching they've always felt a little less loose when performing dynamic type movements. My experience has always been the same.

Your point about the competetive nature of classes leading to students over-doing dynamic stretches could just as easily apply to static stretching. I've lost count of how many pulled groins I've seen due to over zealous inner thigh stretches. I think if you have faith in your ability to coach your students to use the proper care in stretching, you shouldn't be afraid of using dynamic stretches.

It has been in vogue to criticize the slow static method of stretching periodically over the last 30 or so years, but it is the most tried and true method and involves the least chance of injury and will provide for the most consistently flexible condition through your everyday activitiesA. Of course it does take a couple of years to develop the base, but it is by far the best and healthiest way to develop flexibility, regardless of what the most recent fad mongers say. It really comes down to who you choose to accept as your authority. You can always experiment and see which works best for you. But you at least have my recommendation.

I think you're being unnecessarily cautious. If I can use a metaphor.. Say you needed to get somewhere. In your view walking there is the tried and tested, most risk-free way to get there, and therefore that's the only method you should use. I'm saying it may not be the fastest or most effective way to travel, especially if your destination is far away, like on another continent.

I disagree that these methods of stretching are a 'fad'.

You've given us your history, and it's impressive. You've certainly been doing this a long time. I think I should share my stretching story.

I always wanted good flexibility and concentrated on it in my training. I struggled for two or three years with the traditional static stretching methods you're speaking of, performing them in my warm up and in my own flexibility training. They helped me to an extent but eventually I stopped improving. After several years of not much improvement I decided to educate myself about flexibility. I did as much research as I could, and in doing so discovered different ways of stretching.

Within about three months of incorporating dynamic and isometric stretches in my training, my kicks were higher and looser than ever. I was performing full splits every which way, and felt much more comfortable with my training.

My story is definitely not unique.

Don't worry too much about getting confused. You will progress no matter which system you use as long as you start slow and protect yourself from injury. For every person you will find a different opinion. All we can go on is our personal experiences. Soon you will have enough experience to share your own opinion with all of us. You are doing the right thing by investigating the opinions of those that have gone before you. LOL!!! The hardest decsion is usually trying to determine who to believe. Experiment for yourself and you will find what works for you. Everyone's path is slighty different anyway.

The most improtant things to remember with stretching is are: 1) be consistent, and 2) protect yourself from injury. From there it just takes time.

Definitely.. well said.

Whew.. that was a long post.

Scott R. Brown
06-16-2002, 01:58 AM
Hi wooha,

I do not warm up with dynamic stretching and never do and do not recommend dynamic stretching as a warm up. However, dynamic stretching would be appropriate “after” one is warmed up. I do not believe that I stated my warm up for kicks was a static form of stretching, however if you want to call it active stretching I guess it depends on how you define active and static. If one is in a stretched position and holding the stretch I would call that static no matter what position one is in. It is not active just because it is a standing position or there is some movement involved.

I have never actually read Kurz so all I know about his writing is what has been posted here. I can say that he is wrong about static stretching being of no benefit in preparation for a kicking workout. While I do not generally warm up this way I have done so more times than I can remember and still do so at times. It has provided me with an excellent form of warm up if I am not kicking first thing in the morning. If I do my kicks after I have been up for 4-8 hours then my muscles are already warm from moving around and if I statically stretch prior to performing kicks I experience no problems. I think Kurz is incorrect in his evaluation of the efficacy of static stretching.

As to the competitive nature of stretching in class: I think you have over stated your case. While stretching can be competitive it is no where near as competitive as more active forms of training where control is more difficult for a beginning student. Warm ups are generally lower key activities and static stretching instruction should include constant reminders for the beginning students to follow proper protocol. There is much greater control of stretching intensity when performing static stretches than dynamic activities of any kind. In other words, over stretching from static stretches will generally occur because of lack of attention to your body or not following directions properly rather than from over enthusiasm, which is much more likely to occur when performing any type of dynamic activity.

You are correct I believe it is better to be slow and sure than risk error and injury by going too fast. My argument has been that dynamic stretching may appear to provide more efficient and quicker results to those with little knowledge and experience; however, this is an illusion. When one is a beginner or has not performed sufficient research into a matter it is easy to misinterpret data and reinterpret data according to what we want to find. I disagree with Kurz’s opinions as stated within this thread and have years of evidence and personal experience to argue against his opinions.

If you had participated in the fitness culture as deeply and as long as I have you would perhaps recognize the tendency for fads within the culture. Fads are rampant and rife with foolishness. There has been no significant increase in the knowledge of training in the last 50 years or more. Even the many fads that come about have been done before and I am not arguing that all of the fads are useless; they are just not original or new discoveries. There has been no significant knowledge gained in a long time. It is just the same knowledge repackaged for the ignorant masses for the purpose of marketing.

I would say that if you have received no significant benefits from your static stretching, then you were doing something wrong. Since I do not know you or your progression in training I cannot say what your error was, but from experience I can say that it was there somewhere. I would also argue that the benefit of your dynamic stretching program was born out of your static stretching foundation.

We can go back and forth concerning these matters and all matters under the sun. It comes down to who one chooses to accept as their authority. The question always remains, who to believe when authorities disagree. The answer is that each person must investigate for themselves and find the method that works best for them. There is never only one way to do anything. One should gather information from numerous sources and apply and experiment with the knowledge and then decide what works best for them.

dbulmer
06-16-2002, 10:16 AM
Scott et al,
One thing that Kurz does mention particularly in his video is that you have to strengthen muscles/muscle groups before doing isometrics. I am 40 and finding his methods useful but I also find light static stretches useful too. I think it suits Wing Chun though probably not other arts.

Kurz stresses the importance of having a strong back before you attempt dynamic exercises. He argues that when kicking you are putting quite a bit of stress on your abdomen so before trying kicking he suggests you do exercises to strenghten your back. I don't think the book stresses this as much as his video. For kicking after you've strengthend your back he suggests you try adductor flyes upto a set of 100. When you can do that comfortably he suggests you add a pound of weight and go to 100 repetitions. After that, add more weight and reduce the flyes to a maximum of 30 and then 15 (with more weight).

In general, I am a lazy sod and don't bother with that but I do try to do leg raises in all directions.

Kurz recommends a light session in the morning and a light session before your main workout. After your light workout he then suggests some static stretching or isometrics. (He suggests isometrics should be omitted if you are tired).

I don't do the morning sessions as I cannot always find the time - sometimes I prefer extra sleep over stretching !!!!).

In the WC key class I do static stretches are fine because the intensity increases at each stage. The cooldown consists of more intense stretches - personally I prefer to do dynamic stretching then over static stretches because I find dynamic stretches are a better cooldown for me.

Very good thread this.

wooha
06-17-2002, 07:31 AM
Scott

You didn't exactly answer my question, but from what you wrote it appears that you're performing slow movements in your kicking warm up. The reason this kind of stretching is considered different from a static-passive stretch, is because in holding out the stretch, you're actually activating the agonist muscles. When an agonist is tensed, it's counterpart antagonist muscle reflexively relaxes.

For example, if you were to hold out your leg in a front kick position, the quadricep (agonist) would be doing the work in keeping your leg in a stretch position. Your nerve-muscle reflexes would make your hamstring (antagonist) automatically relax, thus allowing you more range of motion.

In a static-passive stretch (eg.. performing the splits), you're using some kind of external resistance to maintain the stretched position (eg. the floor). In this case you'll encounter a stretch reflex in your hamstring causing it to tighten up and resist the stretch.

Although I can't say I've participated in the fitness culture as long as you have, I definitely know what you mean with regard to fads. I've seen more than enough to know that you have to question everything you read or hear. However, that doesn't mean you have to immediately dismiss everything that comes along just because it's different from what you already know. In this case, some of these 'fads' are fairly well backed up by solid science, and have been proven to work in numerous studies.

This is the first page my google search pulled up, you'd be interested in all of it, but in particular read the second half under 'What kind of stretching works best?'.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0250.htm

It's also interesting to point out that a lot of these 'fads' aren't actually so new. They're just enjoying new exposure. Not long ago I was reading about a particular style of Yoga that utilised methods very similar to PNF stretching.

From what you've written so far, it seems to me that you've got about 25 years of experience in the flexibility area, but in all that time you've only ever used one particular method. Just out of interest, have you ever experimented yourself with isometric, dynamic or PNF stretching, or even known anyone that has? Do you know anyone that's put serious time into practising these techniques and has come back to you and said "No, they don't work"?

You're right, we can argue about this on and on and never really get anywhere, because different things work for different people and so on. What's keeping me in this discussion though, is this 'fad' thing. That makes me uneasy, because it smells to me like a convenient way to discredit something without much research or information.

Scott R. Brown
06-17-2002, 08:23 AM
wooha,

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

It is not that I don't look into it. It is the info is not new and and has been around the pike already.

I like the way you disagree though.

wooha
06-17-2002, 08:55 AM
Heh heh. :D

I like the way you like the way I disagree.

Nice debating with you. :)

Sleemie
06-17-2002, 10:21 AM
I like to see you guys disagree this way, it's very constructive and respectful.

With all of this information floating around in these posts, I've given up on finding the ideal stretching routine, so....what I'm looking to do is just make sure that I'm not doing any DON'TS....never mind the ideal, I'm only looking for any serious don'ts....so, tell me which of my following routines are don'ts, if any:

1. Getting warmed up by practicing my punches and stances, including sitting in my horse stance for as long as I can, which really get's me warmed up and the blood flowing and sweating. Then, doing my kicks, then do the dynamic stretching, which is simply the kurz leg lifts to the front/back/side, and then finishing it off with my static stretching...

2. After my workout at class, finishing everything off with the dynamic stretching and then the static stretching.

3. Before class....doing about 5 minutes of jumping jacks to get warmed up, then doing my dynamic stretch routine and then static stretching then having class.....

btw, class consists of about 10 minutes of static stretching during warm ups and then sitting in our horse stance for 3 minutes. Then class itself is practicing our kicks and some punching and blocking techniques.

dbulmer
06-17-2002, 11:46 AM
Sleemie,
To start with I'd do joint rotations from head to foot or foot to head.

Next a little jogging on the spot then punching to the side and the kicking movements but done in a very relaxed way (Kurz kicks)

Then your work out (punches/kicks etc)

Then your stance and some static stretching.
If you feel energetic (some isometrics).

After your workout drink plenty of water and relax !

wooha
06-17-2002, 01:46 PM
Sleemie,

I can't see any serious don'ts in that routine. Give it a try, experiment. Try to find a routine that you feel works for you. That sounds like as good a starting point as any.

I have to say this has been an excellent thread. It's nice to see a serious insightful thread debated like this, especially on KFO, where serious insightful threads are about as rare as single attractive women.

No_Know
06-18-2002, 06:05 PM
Three (3)