PDA

View Full Version : Mp

chingei
06-12-2002, 01:40 PM
Just curious. What's the MA scene in the DC area?

many thanks

Brad Souders
06-12-2002, 09:14 PM
If your in DC and want a place to train two words come to mind: Lloyd Irvin

chingei
06-12-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Brad Souders
If your in DC and want a place to train two words come to mind: Lloyd Irvin

all right. that brings 7 words to mind: what the hell are you talking about?

:D

Brad Souders
06-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Hell i don't now just plugging Lloyd's school (which is where merry trains at) :p

apoweyn
06-13-2002, 06:17 AM
the dc area has lots of options. everything from JKD to capoeira. you moving to the area chingei?

stuart b.

Merryprankster
06-13-2002, 07:30 AM
Chingei--the DC area has a lot to offer. The MA scene here for BJJ and Thai boxing is very good. There are at least 4 top notch thai boxing coaches in the area, and two top notch BJJ schools. There are two other BJJ schools with a brown and black belt teaching, respectively, but they have not done so hot in competitions. There is also a place with a blue belt instructor in woodbridge.

NIH has a excellent Judo club, and if you want to just get beat up, Rhadi Ferguson is in the area

There are a couple of wrestling clubs. The area is awash in TKD.

There are several CMA schools in the area, and I have no idea what quality they are.

Ap could tell you more about the JKD and Eskrima scene.

There is one rather odd vietnamese fellow in college park who is apparently rather good, but quirky in some disconcerting ways, from what I understand. Ask Ap. He knows more about that one than I do :)

There's an Aikido school that is supposed to be good but that did not impress me in Takoma Park--on the other hand, it's right down the street from the Capoeira studio.

Water Dragon
06-13-2002, 07:41 AM
There's also a high level Southern Mantis teacher in the area. I want to say he is out of Maryland, but could be wrong.

apoweyn
06-13-2002, 08:59 AM
There is one rather odd vietnamese fellow in college park who is apparently rather good, but quirky in some disconcerting ways, from what I understand. Ask Ap. He knows more about that one than I do - merryprankster

i ought to. the little sod elbowed me right in the fun bag. and i wasn't even training there.

stuart b.

chingei
06-13-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Brad Souders
Hell i don't now just plugging Lloyd's school (which is where merry trains at) :p

all right! please, tell me more

chingei
06-13-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn
the dc area has lots of options. everything from JKD to capoeira. you moving to the area chingei?

stuart b.

just a potential possible possibility for next year. thought I'd start looking around just in case.

chingei
06-13-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Chingei--the DC area has a lot to offer. The MA scene here for BJJ and Thai boxing is very good. There are at least 4 top notch thai boxing coaches in the area, and two top notch BJJ schools. There are two other BJJ schools with a brown and black belt teaching, respectively, but they have not done so hot in competitions. There is also a place with a blue belt instructor in woodbridge.

NIH has a excellent Judo club, and if you want to just get beat up, Rhadi Ferguson is in the area

There are a couple of wrestling clubs. The area is awash in TKD.

There are several CMA schools in the area, and I have no idea what quality they are.

Ap could tell you more about the JKD and Eskrima scene.

There is one rather odd vietnamese fellow in college park who is apparently rather good, but quirky in some disconcerting ways, from what I understand. Ask Ap. He knows more about that one than I do :)

There's an Aikido school that is supposed to be good but that did not impress me in Takoma Park--on the other hand, it's right down the street from the Capoeira studio.

whoa! sounds good.

Many thanks for the info everyone!!

Thai boxing and (of course) Wrestling are of interest. I dig Aikido but...

Merryprankster
06-14-2002, 07:47 AM
chingei--

shoot me an e-mail.

javalentine11
@hotmail.com

I'll try to get to it in the next couple of days.