PDA

View Full Version : Proper Breathing

Merryprankster
06-13-2002, 07:45 AM
Hey guys--proper breathing--what do you think?

I've never had a problem with breathing, while I know plenty of people who forget to breathe or breathe in gasps or hyperventilation.

In my case, I theorize the following:

VOICE LESSONS.

I was a chorus, jazz ensemble, barbershop quartet, show choir and glee club geek in high school and college.

Nothing teaches proper breathing and breathe control quite like singing (or playing an instrument that requires air)....

See--I'm not so closed to esoteric ideas :)

scotty1
06-13-2002, 08:03 AM
Fu*king weirdo.

Seriously though, I've never had a problem breathing once my cardio's sorted out.

norther practitioner
06-13-2002, 10:05 AM
I was a chorus, jazz ensemble, barbershop quartet, show choir and glee club geek in high school and college.

I don't know if geek is a strong enough word.....

I think a lot of people have a problem with this b/c they don't get the internal training that they should, and much of the breathing exercises and such come from taiji and chigung.

Former castleva
06-13-2002, 01:01 PM
I do simple breathing excercises at times (part qi-gong)
Breathing is very important,if we donīt breathe we pass out.Doing breathing excercises is said to develop the whole body.
And I bet breathing is worthy in martial arts.
It is said that even the strongest fighter tires quickly without proper breathing.
My own breathing style is pretty simple.
I strike-I exhale
I donīt-I inhale.
But good thing you brought this up,Iīd really appreciate information on breathing,for thereīs lot to know.
Breathing,mouth,or nose...
dantian or plain...
full or minor catch of breathe..

norther practitioner
06-13-2002, 01:11 PM
Some say an open mouth is a chi leak

fa_jing
06-13-2002, 01:24 PM
I first learned buddhist (diaphragmatic) breathing as a member of a famous boy-choir - which I quit after the first full year, too many "wierdos," not all, but some-- Glad I left with my bung-hole intact...Had some singing (classical) lessons later on in life, plus 12+ years of playing the trombone, improved my air. However, the mechanics of breathing are slightly different, obviously due to the consideration that you will be receiving blows to the belly - I think the concept of "support" helped me to understand Taoist or Reverse Breathing, at least for the intake portion of the breath I think it's very similar.

-FJ

Ryu
06-13-2002, 01:28 PM

In the words of the immortal "Nelson Munst" from the Simpsons... Ha Ha!

LOL :D JK, MP

KC Elbows
06-13-2002, 01:37 PM
Fa Jing,
I wasn't aware that choir was such a dangerous place.

kungfu cowboy
06-13-2002, 01:38 PM
Here is a buttload (http://www.focalpointyoga.com/Breathtechniqu.htm). The three part ujjayi technique is my fave for yoga and general mood/mind control.

Water Dragon
06-13-2002, 01:46 PM
The best practical advice I ever got on breathing:

Just remember to breathe out, you'll inhale naturally.

fa_jing
06-13-2002, 02:18 PM
KC - you have to be careful with any single-sex establishment where adults have access to children away from their parents - since we toured, this was the case. Actually, it was the other kids that freaked me out the most, like I said not all of them, and we were all pre-pubescent, but some seemed like they belonged to "Future Fa_gots of America." No offense to the gay, but I have a natural aversion to contact with this kind of culture - and the choir directors were all flamers. I think there was an article in the news recently regarding the Princeton Choir College - that was not my group, and I never saw anything like that personally - but I had a sense that some things were going on.

-FJ

P.S. Sorry to gross anyone out, just watch your F*cking kids!!