PDA

View Full Version : Knee problem

youshang
06-13-2002, 09:10 AM
Hi there, need some help with this. I do a series of stretches three times a week, now and again I can't stretch my left leg properly. The problem feels like it's at the knee, on the inside, like if I were to stretch it more it would tear something. :eek:
Does anyone know of any ways of relieving the pain or working towards eradicating the problem? (Other than applying an ice pack after the stretching.) :( Thanks

This should really be in the training section, forgive me I'm new. Any herbal things that could help with the pain?

pvwingchun
06-13-2002, 12:18 PM
Knees are tough to figure. Once they get screwed up that is it. I would check with a doc. In the mean time gloucosamine/chodroitirn never hurts, if it works it works, only works for about half of people, plus it takes a long time to kick in. Itreally doesn't sound like a problem for G/C but as I said it never hurts.

Try and stretch every day but not to the point of pain. Make sure you are stretching properly. Talk to Physical Therapist about a proper routine.

Have bad knees myself and G/C helped me.

Only advice I am not oa Doc.

greendragon
06-13-2002, 04:14 PM
knee circles before stretching. standing, feet together, hands on knees. make circles about 12" coming up on the balls of feet slightly. one way for 10 reps then the other

David Jamieson
06-13-2002, 05:19 PM
I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on T.V :D

One of the muscles that can cause tightness in the area of the inside knee is the sartorious muscle. it's a long muscle that runs from inside you at the anterior iliac spine, wraps around the anterior surface of the femur and runs to the inner side of the knee joint. It unites vis a vis tendon with three other muscles and the rest.

Anyway, to stretch the sartorius muscle (and others):

Stand with your feet and legs together. Raise your arms above your head and slowly do a side bend and extend (pop) your hip to the side while keeping your feet planted. Side to side motions done slowly and held at the terminus will stretch this muscle and perhaps relieve some of the tension after a time of doing it.

Runners call this an I Band stretch and it refers to the group of muscles that attach at the back and hip and run to the inside knee joint.

peace

yu shan
06-13-2002, 11:24 PM
watch how low you do your Tai Chi. Be comfortable and upright. Be-ware of Tai Chi done low! Some postures yes...