PDA

View Full Version : the sexiness of conflict

Shaolin Punk
06-13-2002, 01:00 PM
we love conflict. i notice there are more readers, and posters who come out of the wood work when there are conflicts.

i figure this is why the news is always looking for the hard stuff, where there are disasters, conflicts, turmoil...b/c we love that stuff, and we love to talk about how terrible it is.

so what's my point? i guess the point is that KFO is secretly really happy when there are major conflicts happening, b/c it means more public involvement, which ultimately increases their bottom line. of course, if it gets to the point of challenges, and users of this forum losing face, that's bad for their business, so they stop it there.

so from a business stand point, keep those conflicts coming!

Cody
06-13-2002, 04:13 PM
Conflict reflects an absence of union, yet great conflict (of sorts) can give rise to the creative process. Hence, the reference you give - the battle between and coming together of opposites.

Conflict can encompass debates or contests re interesting ideas. The dictionary suggests, then, that the word might emphasize the process rather than the end. When this sort of conflict escalates to arguing and the exchange becomes purely adversarial, the topics at hand might suffer, as the process does. Yet, there is much to be learned even then.

The admin of KFO would favor hearty discussions, of course. The boards are a vehicle for discussing unpopular ideas, opinions, judgments german to MA practice, and to the practioners themselves. I don't necessarily see these admin. stopping the process of open exchanges of ideas when loss of face is involved. I think that would be a degree of censorship which would undercut the worth of these boards. I do not think that the more severe verbal exchanges please them merely as a business stimulus. (I assume that's what you mean by "major conflicts.") At least I would hope not. I do not favor sensationalism, that antidote for boredom which you speak of.

The challenges you refer to become tyrades which disturb many and serve no purpose in terms of information or resolution. A challenge need not be public in order to be valid. The nonsense of the negotiations of challenges with one or more parties cavorting, possibly without intent or without mutual initiation of correct arrangements if the thing can be agreed upon to begin with, is a waste of everyone's time. It's an ego trip. It's bad for business because it is junk.

Conflict/disagreement over information of many kinds is also healthy. It's creative, corrects misinformation, and exposes truth, falsehood, hopes, strength, frailty, and the best and worst people can be.

I would agree to keep discussions going, even to the point of conflict (a sharper discussion with distinct polarity). I would go further than than, when it becomes necessary. It becomes annoying to me when this is seen as entertainment (good for business), because it's not. It's serious.
It is not easy to understand how the Claws connect to the mind and heart. Why a certain person will not answer in kind, or will temper it, while another will strike repetitively. I'm not referring to matters of etiquette, but to the beating of hearts. I would leave my sensibilities and supposed status at the door, in terms of use of language. Yet, discussion gives options. And that is the wonderful thing about KFO. That this is so. That options live. That we can read and see and decide that what is right or wrong for any one of us might not be so for another person. This is a matter solely of personal choice in my view, but I realize that is not so or all. We see how different people handle visceral emotion. The expression, the words, have weight, without distinction between I and thou (imo). The words, the feelings, are a reality of life. This is allowed, Here, in order to establish a common ground when there seems to be none left.

That common ground being the universality of human suffering, what causes it in the individual and in the groups, and how relief can be found. This relief can be aided by exchange of ideas and feelings, by compromise (but not being compromised by Anyone), by introspection and by facts and interpretations of events. It goes on. Politics can make use of the same machinery. I've said my piece. Hope it does some good.

Cody