PDA

View Full Version : Ranks, Titles & Other Such Bull!

Tsuruken
06-09-2001, 04:24 AM
A Personal View:- By Ron Goninan

Rank, titles …. Something everyone in the martial arts focuses upon at one time or another. But what exactly is rank and title worth? The answer in my humble opinion …….. stuff all! :eek:

As one who spent a reasonable amount of time of my personal involvement within the martial arts (I’ve been involved in the martial arts for 30+ years) looking to rank and titles, I can honestly say without any doubt or hesitation that I think the whole issue of rank within the modern perspective of the martial arts is nothing but bull! In saying so, I mean no offence to anyone within the martial arts world, I am simply stating a personal view. :)

Firstly lets examine briefly just what is a rank in the context of the martial arts. It is a mark of the personal relationship that exists between the teacher and the individual student. It is based on the teacher’s knowledge of his/her teachings and or art and the skill and personal advancement made by that of the student within same. It has no relationship to those outside of that style, group, association or dojo (although many will seek to make it an issue). :(

Titles are equally the same: representative of the relationship developed between the individual teacher and student. :)

My personal view of ranks, well honestly, up until recently, I thought them to have value, depth and meaning. In many ways, I guess I still do. I am proud of the ranks I received while on Okinawa from my Sensei. Not because of the rank mind you, but because of what they represent … the relationship developed between two people! They are a wonderful cultural link and true works of art. My former teacher is a master calligrapher of the highest degree! But that’s where it ends.

I have touted these ranks in the past that is true. But the truth is I am a “nobody’ in terms of the martial arts and contrary to what others “out there” may think, say, write or spew forth, this is exactly what I am. I am a simple (some may say very simple!) unskilled man of little talent and knowledge but I try to do my best and that's really all that matters. If I am to be viewed as “good” (whatever that means!) at what I do or teach within the martial arts then this is up to others to decide after meeting me personally, spending time with me both on and off the dojo floor. The simple honest truth is If you are “good” people will know by the way you treat others in everyday life, not by the rank and belt you may or may not wear. :cool:

For those people who have sought me out and who are still following my teachings, I am nothing important nor do I claim to be. They know my worth as a person and within the martial arts and they understand the views I hold true to. If I am afforded any respect by my students it is because I have personally earned it via my actions and teachings and not by imposing ranks upon them as a means of boosting myself.

To me the martial arts are something I love doing. It is not how I make my living so I have very little commercial interest other than the continued up-keep of running the dojo. The martial arts and my involvement in same is a personal pursuit.

The same goes for titles. Do I have a “title?” Yes. Do I force this down my student’s throats? No! Just about all of my students call me by my first name in the dojo and I would not have it any other way. My students are my friends. Some in the martial arts would say this is offensive, others would say that its not correct etiquette and they may well be right but by whose views and standards?

Anyone “out there” in the big old wide world of martial arts are more than welcome to come to my home or dojo for a visit. Be it as a friendly visit or simply to satisfy their individual curiosity. I have no grudge to bear against anyone and I think that my wife and I make reasonable hosts. You can respect me. You can like me. You can hate me. Either way the decision will be yours. You can make your decisions as what rank you would like to "label me" after meeting, talking with and or training alongside of me. I’ll even shout for the beers (although I’m a Bourbon man myself!). ;)

My rank? I have none. Why? Why not! It’s not important to those outside of my association / style. What is important is what type of person I am and I think I’m doing okay in that area.
My ideas and way of teaching are to some unique, often going against the views of others within the martial arts world today. To others, they may seem “off the planet”. To a great many “martial artists” I know I’m seen as is seen as being a 'whacko lunatic' type of character. A rebel. Many dismiss my views as being bulldust!. But that’s okay, each holds true to his own views, nothing wrong with this as this is the way of the world and human nature.

Many have attempted to assassinate my character as a person involved within the martial arts. And I wish I had a dollar for every martial artist that has belittled my views and my teachings! I have had my name posted on numerous Internet boards, sometimes in a positive manner, often in a humorous way and yes even in a political manner, in turn revealing the politics and insecurities of others.

Some even admire me for what they view as being my commitment and enthusiasm to Budo (which is really just one of my loves in life). My message is simple:- It's not the style. It's not to be found in one's fame or lack of it. it's not about having thousands of students and schools all over the world. It's not about being a "big gun". It's not about having a certificate from Okinawa, Japan, China or downtown Cobar for that matter! It's about friendship and living your life as best as you can. It's about being strong enough in your heart and mind to take a stand for what you believe in, even when it goes against popular opinion, and to hold on to what you believe in, all in the face of adversity. It's about people, not the martial arts. It's to be found in making good people, better.

I’ll gladly let you share your art with me. Teach me what you wish to. I’ll be grateful for your time and patience. Perhaps even I may have something of value to offer you?

Let’s be bloody honest. In today’s martial arts world, ranks are dime a dozen. They are like opinions and bums …. everyone’s got one! :p

And it almost goes without saying that many ranks out there should be introduced to the respected bums as a means of toilet paper. :D

The “human” element of the martial arts is being lost. Very few schools view their teachings as human relationships. To many (not all) it can be business or politics. I’m not against the business of teaching the martial arts, not at all. I just think that people come first.

The old arts were not so much about style but about people. Diploma’s, certificates, scrolls, documents and titles mean bugger all without the human element.!

Diploma’s, ranks, certificates and titles don’t make people. People make people!

Who you learnt from, what you learnt, all these things matter little. What is important that you have learnt something good or bad and can make your own decisions as to what is right or wrong. No piece of paper or the words negative or positive of others can take away from this truth.

(God, don't you just love these "Smilies!")

:)

Ron Goninan - Chairman
Okinawa Butoryu Gohokan
Australia

MonkeySlap Too
06-09-2001, 07:45 AM
I have found the rank thing to only be of use when I am teaching publicly. When it is a small private group, you can choose your students. When you teach publicly, your students choose you. In order to keep order in the class, rank and etiquette srves a valuable purpose.

Don't be so hard on yourself. If what you said isn't obvious to someone else in the arts, they need a shrink anyways...

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

fiercest tiger
06-09-2001, 09:11 AM
when you say RANK! are you meaning belt or name calling as in sensei?

see the whole belt thing doesnt mean much, but when you start out in kung fu, usually the "to dai" reconizes his si hing's, si bak, si suk, sifu, si gung etc. this is a type of ranking, but also used sometimes in families to describe brother(younger or older) mother, sister, uncle etc, but most now in martial arts!

i have designed a ranking system in YKM because i feel that some people need a goal in training and if another colour sash or belt helps them to get better or train harder than do it. i also believed that YKM needed to be systemized because of the great amount of information and training in the style. other YKM may be different! as a egotistic manner i dont think it helps the mind!

anyways thats my thoughts ;)

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Tsuruken
06-09-2001, 01:02 PM
MonkeySlap Too:

I do not teach on a public level. I personally select the people that I wish to join with me on the journey. They are not my students, but my friends and travel companions.

My point was not to say that rank has no purpose just that far too many place an all-encompassing value on it.

By the way, do you know of a good "shrink?" I see quite a few people on this board who need this information! (LoL) :D

Fiercest tiger: I guess both rank & title. I feel that the Chinese Martial Arts system that you referred to is far better then most systems of 'recognition'.

Best wishes and thanks for your thoughts! :)

(Come on, Admit it! You like these "Smilies" too!)

Ron Goninan - Chairman
Okinawa Butoryu Gohokan
Australia

CLOUD ONE
06-09-2001, 04:44 PM
If you were teaching for money (sorry for a living).
What would your view be then?
In your opinion can one teach for money?
What would you be teaching?
I respect the way you feel and commend you on your honesty.
Do you judge a master on how many students he has got?

word
06-09-2001, 08:05 PM
word , you are right, credentials dont mean crap, you know why americans care about credentials ? it's becuase of their worldview and how american works, people see progress and view people VERTICALLY not horizontally, vertical progress is what's on paper, trophys, good grades, how much money you make and all that crap in life, but horizontal progress is not the material things, it's more of the personal things, such as growing as a person, leadership etc....

so in america where we go to school for an "X" amount of years to get a degree, get awards, i pay 10 bucks for something then i getsomething in return, but you know what, this totally doesnt go with chinese gung fu because, just look at the saying' courching tiger, hidden dragon....... do you gusy know what that means? it's a popular saying in kung fu that when you learn kung fu you should have no ego and just be humble to get better and to learn more, even if you are good there is still soemone better because the #1 guy still has yet to come out, like a crouching tiger , hidden dragon, i can get credentials easlily, join 8 step's sifu program, pay all my fees, take as many pictures as I can, email mantis sifus around the country , talk about crap like how i wanna help improve the art and talk aobut history and a few sets, and then go to tournaments and shake hands with these sifus, take pictures, win a few trophys cause tournament kung fu people out there suck and put all that crap in some brag binder, this is all credentials here, WOW, more of an american thing dont you see foo?

and like for me to say i'm meeting sifus and taking pictures, the typical american can easily buy into it, typical american like who? YOU!!! you freaks see like 1000 views when someone posts some crap on " CHI" but you see like 20 views on something like the " DAN TIEN" which is where the freakin chi is stored in the first place, good one guys, and also , it's pointless to argue about kung fu if person A is good and person B is a typical american cause person B has NO CLUE TO WHAT person A is talkin about, person A can talk about theoryt, application, sensnitivity, moving chi along the meridians etc, ther's no way to explain that to typcial foos likle you guys

look at jon funk, has all hte credentails, is this kun fu good? no, he cna't fight ,......imagine you are walking up and down the street around the block and see this old man in the garage pracrticing, and you learn from him for 20 years, do you have crednetials no!! it dont matter in the chiense culture for crednetials about kung fu....thats' more of an american thing, so you foos gotta realize here's a culture conflict, and i understand whY YOU GUY See things the way you do, but it's wrong budddyy.

oldwolf
06-10-2001, 12:33 AM
Well said Ron

"And the crowd called out for more"

Tsuruken
06-10-2001, 02:05 AM
More positive replies than negative!

Cloud One: Hi. If I were teaching for money my view would still be the same. Integrity comes from the person within and not from the amount of dollars that crosses hands. Can one teach for money? Sure, Patrick McCarthy Kyoshi is one good example of this as he maintains the integrity of the art.

I judge people on the way they are both in and out of the training hall. I look to the person first, not the "martial artist". I don't think it matters if the person (I don't like the term "master") has 1 or 100 students as long as they are honest and teach their arts with integrity and passion. Thank you for sharing your views! :)

Word: Thank you for your views. Although for one who uses the sign in name of "Word" you'd think your grammer and spelling would be a little better! Word, I am not an "American" (not that I have anything against Americans). It always helps for one to get their facts straight before uttering their "words". And yes, you are correct, I did not understand one thing you wrote in your post. Your point being? You have a ready wit, please let me know when its ready! :D

Oldwolf: Thank you very much for your support. Always give the crowd what they want!

:)

Ron Goninan - Chairman
Okinawa Butoryu Gohokan
Australia

CLOUD ONE
06-10-2001, 02:48 AM
Ron- thanks for your answers. you are a wise man.
How do you become a good judge of character?

you are reluctant to use the term 'master'
Is this a goal or title that cannot be acheived?

Honestly speaking- can anyone teach?