PDA

View Full Version : JKD Question

sungzu
06-13-2002, 01:18 PM
was jkd ever finished?

curtis
06-13-2002, 05:33 PM
I am sorry to say NO.
If you like I wrote a artical called JKD IS DEAD, We realy had a good time talking about that one. It should still be on file if you look it up.
have a good day. C.A.G.

Cyborg
06-18-2002, 04:01 PM
No is the correct answer. However, it wouldn't be "finished" even if Bruce was alive today. So long as anyone is alive they should be refining what they do.

curtis
06-18-2002, 06:54 PM
Cyborg
Perhaps you are right. Although I belive Bruce would have built a stronger core of leaders to carryon. but I belive in the end the same would happen, (JKD would fragement .)

There are a few people who know, but more dont,and those who dont, seem to rune it for everyone.

If JKD isnt dead, its slowly dieing.

I hope I am wrong, but thats how it looks, to me.
C.A.G.

Sensei Kunz
06-19-2002, 05:55 AM
I am afraid that one more generation of JKD practioners will finally kill off the true essence of it. Currently, there are really only a few instructors here that know the true art of JKD. It has been evolving through the eyes and interpetation of ech practioner. Many thnigs have been added with each individualized instructor. However, as long as you keep the main foundation and concepts of JKD, then and only then is it still alive, barely!

For the majority of instructors today, it has become commercialized and flaunted for the almighty dollar. Today, there are only four people who I personally know that still have the inside tract, Lamar Davis, Tim Tacket, Bob Bremer and Dan Inosanto. However, Mr. Inosanto has a bigger agenda recently over the years on many other styles that he teaches, other than JKD.

JKD will always be in the practioner's heart and mind.

myosimka
06-19-2002, 07:17 AM
Solid martial artists who might welll serve it leave routinely rather than put up with this kind of crap.

You feel there are only a few, fine. State that. But to name names and thereby disparage untold numbers of JKD practitioners is a big part of the problem. I may not like Vunak that much but I certainly see Inosanto's roots in there in some places and I would never claim he doesn't do JKD. (Personally I am a big fan of Burton Richardson) And to say that Ted Wong's not doing JKD? That's the reason this MA is ripping itself apart. All this BS political crap.

Sensei Kunz
06-19-2002, 07:59 AM
Your jumping the gun with your statements, sir! I said, referring tothe ones Ipersonally know. I did not say that Inosanto was not teaching JKD. The reason for all the political crap, as you put it, is with such hot attitudes that write before they think!

Kindest Regards,

myosimka
06-19-2002, 08:59 AM
Indeed, just as you didn't think about how inflammatory your remark would be. What's the point of stating such a low number with the CYA comment of "I personally know"? Unless it was to draw the effect that resulted. Ie. stating that very few practice 'true JKD' while still having an out when you are called on it.

Also I didn't mention Inosanto in my response at all despite your backhanded remark which effectively lowered your number to 3 while still CYA. I was discussing Vunak's Inosanto roots. So your reiteration of that clearly indicates that you didn't read my post before you rushed out your reply. Hey kettle, you're black!

Also, your 'I personally know' caveat fell well after this statement: "Currently, there are really only a few instructors here that know the true art of JKD. " You can certainly attempt to adopt a holier than thou attitude with me and attempt to deny your inflammatory political remarks but there they are. You don't like them then don't make them.

And at this point, I'd like to add that while I don't know you from Adam, I have never claimed that you don't "know the true art of JKD". I never said that about Davis or his former devotee Prather. Even when they continued to bad mouth the people under whom I train. Why not? Because I don't know whether they or you do or not. Maybe your JKD is great but I acknowledge that so is Thornton's, Vunak's, Wong's, etc. I just want to cry foul on the superior attitudes I often see in this community.

And lastly, no matter how one looks at it. If you either don't know Ted Wong or think he's not doing 'true JKD' I hope everyone takes that into account when you make sweeping generalizations about the state of affairs in JKD.

"It's just a name."

Sensei Kunz
06-19-2002, 10:05 AM
Correct, it's just a name!

Just a note! I am too old and too tired of posting on these forums. Many times, people read between the lines and interpret or just have nothing better to do than attack. Believe me, i'm not talking about you. However, I think I will be leaving all forum for a needed rest and just plain tired of the political wars.

Yes, I know of Ted Wong and you are right about others being well qualified in teaching JKD. The statements I made stand true, even though, as you put it, are generalized. I am not here trying to start a bunch of bull!

I hope everyone enjoys the forums.

Your Servant

curtis
06-21-2002, 07:05 PM
Sensei Kunz
I HOPE YOUR not gone to long. I personal injoy your writeings.

I know of three men who may not know JKD but I belive,Thay knew about Bruce Lee and the ways he fought.
Thay are.
James DeMile. Jessie Glover, and Howard Williams.

I belive any of these men could give you (anyone) a quick head start to finding out what is JKD (your own Personalized excellence in self defence.according to Bruce Lees standards.)

Sincerely C.A.G.

Sensei Kunz
06-21-2002, 10:38 PM
Kindest Regards and Always Your Servant

jmdrake
06-25-2002, 08:59 AM
Hello all,

For the record there has been enough bad mouthing from both sides! And also for the record had someone said "the four people I personally know who really know JKD are Dan Inosanto, Paul Vunak, Burton Richardson and Richard Bustillo" I wouldn't have gotten my shorts in a knot! Sifu Kunz didn't mention Taki Kimura either. Does that mean he was trying to purposefully slight him? Of course not! And trying to make an issue of where in the post he said what is just plain silly! You like Burton Richardson, fine. Personally I think he's a nice person, but I'm not crazy about his book. Not unless he can explain what the heck a "headstand pose" is used for. His articles are sometimes good, but sometimes they leave me scratching my head. But hey, that's my opinion. I do like Ron Baliki's stuff, even though he does things differently than they way I would, but at least I can see the practicallity of it all.

Regards,

John M. Drake

myosimka
06-25-2002, 02:28 PM
JMdrake, my point is that he stated "For the majority of instructors today, it has become commercialized and flaunted for the almighty dollar. Today, there are only four people.." To say that and then to name names is indeed a slight against other instructors. I don't care who they are. I personally can't stand one of the guys he listed but I don't speculate that he doesn't "know the true art of JKD". The politics of JKD are killing it and that post was typical of the politics.

You want to say that these 4 or those 5 are great go ahead. Try to avoid putting it in a post where you state that others don't know the true art. Try not to put it a paragraph where you state that the others have commercialized it.

EG: "Most MAs are commercialized crap. BJJ is the only art I know of that realistically practices and works." How many times have we heard this? Yes, it is a slight on other arts even if I don't state them by name. Substitute instructors for MA and names for BJJ and you get the core of his earlier post. It was political and I called it that. It was a slight, unintentional or not, and I called it that. It's just not necessary and it has become par for the course in JKD.

And I'm not 100% thrilled with Burton Richardson's book either. I have no interest in Zulu stickwork but I sure do like his attitude.

Of course, you are welcome to your opinion. But if you start flinging mud and saying that others don't know the true art, then you've stepped into the politics game and I'll probably say something then too. Instead of the potential for free physical expression in the MA and individual exploration, JKD has become a nightmare of isolated camps, politics and namecalling. And I'd like to see that changed more than anything about 'the true art' itself. But hey, that's my opinion.

Demi @ CSPT
06-27-2002, 07:31 AM
There is nothing to finish. How do you finish something that most people have not even begun.

Bruce Lee said "JKD means hitting someone with a chair." How many people train to fight with chairs?

The smart ones are "cutting down" on the use of the term JKD.

Demi Barbito

www.DemiBarbito.com

Rafael
06-27-2002, 08:26 AM
It's only a name ...don't fuss over it .

RF-