PDA

View Full Version : Can you up root an opponent

dragontounge2
06-13-2002, 06:50 PM
How do practice? any info is appreciated...

Water Dragon
06-14-2002, 07:01 AM
I've only done it a few times, and then, it was on accident. But basically, it's not a push, it's a compression. What happens is as the guy is pushing into you, he's kinda compressing you into the ground. If you "juice" at the right point, he gets uprooted. If you do get it, you'll be surprised because it doesn't feel like you did anything.

The best uprooters I have seen are the I Chuan crowd, you might want to ask one of them. They're very good at it.

gazza99
06-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Its very simple,
Connect with their center, then use your own root to move theirs, upwards, sideways, whatever...
Gary

TzuChan
06-16-2002, 03:49 PM
Are you guys kidding ? Sounds like magic to me no ? :)
Could you tell me what MA you are talking about, or post some links, sounds pretty deep to me, but I think I'm understanding this totally wrong. But please explain

Water Dragon
06-17-2002, 05:01 PM
TzuChan, it's a pretty vast subject and I tried to give an overview. I still don't understand it completely myself. Maybe you have a more specific question as to what I wrote?

Waidan
06-17-2002, 06:28 PM
It's funny how terms can be interpreted so differently between styles and practitioners.

I've never thought of "uprooting" to be anything more than causing your opponent to lose his alignment, thus disconnecting him from his root (generally, the earth). Doing so will lessen their power and perhaps mobility.

We might, for example, practice unbalancing the enemy by breaking their spinal alignment and causing them to become "double-weighted" (to use another loaded term) on their forward foot.

I'd go on but it's quite academic from there, and probably not what you're looking for.

ddh
06-18-2002, 12:58 AM
Try first pressing downward and then thrust up and out.:D

blacktaoist
06-18-2002, 06:12 AM
Don't think about uprooting your opponent when trying to uproot him. Learn to move your own body when push hands or sparring with other martial artists.

dragontounge2
06-18-2002, 06:48 AM
Well I personally study wing chun but had a friend who studied with, cheng man-ch'ing and he was very good at uprooting. So I posted on the forums.

Water Dragon
06-18-2002, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by blacktaoist
Don't think about uprooting your opponent when trying to uproot him. Learn to move your own body when push hands or sparring with other martial artists.

Well, BT, that wasn't the question now was it?

However, you are 110 % correct and said the same da.mn thing my teacher used to tell me! LOL :D

TaiChiBob
06-23-2002, 07:06 AM
Greetings..

My own experience, and the basis of lessons taught to me were pretty simple.. raise the opponents center of gravity..

during push-hands, press the opponents' elbow toward the torso and lift upward.. unless they are skilled at relaxing and rotating the shoulders, they will rise with the upward motion and break their connection with the ground.. a light push or shoulder press at that point usually sends them stumbling..

When pushing-hands and you find the opponents' center, the most effective press/push is perpendicular to a line between the heels.. however, this requires the push/press be generated in a horizontal circular motion, with success being dependent on your own foundation and the ability to transfer the circular energy with your legs..

"Parting the Wild Horses Mane" is a superior technique for up-rooting.. as you intercept incoming tactics, control the wrist, slide your forearm up into the armpit, as you press upward with your lead leg rotate the waist in the direction of the opponents torso.. (you may notice quite a few other options here)..

Just some observations, hope they help..

Tadzio
06-29-2002, 03:21 AM
Hi.
I would tell you to don't think about uprooting so much, at least in the eraly stages. The most important think is to learn how to stand properly. Sounds simple but it's not. Learn hot to stand, how to move, and the rest will come, so fast, that you won't even notice it.
Blacktaoist, hard you will be in China. Perheaps we could meet and play together. I live in Shanxi and O'm often in Beijing.
T.