PDA

View Full Version : Just lookin 4 kempo

Kay k
06-14-2002, 06:31 AM
hey do any of you practice Kempo? just thought i'd ask as this is the forum for other arts isn't it? :confused: does anyone practice kempo? i know it's not that popular but i enjoy it. :( xx

Kay k
06-20-2002, 07:16 AM
well....okay i guess that kind of answers my question. :(

Dark Knight
06-20-2002, 12:05 PM
Kempo is a big description. Can you narrow it down? What style of Kempo. Is it Okanowan? Villair? USSD?....

Kay k
06-21-2002, 08:48 AM
it WAS okanowan. i think, he didn't say... is there much difference?

omegapoint
06-22-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Kay k
it WAS okanowan. i think, he didn't say... is there much difference?

Yes there is and the end product is similar. Kempo is Japanese for Chuan Fa, or "Fist Style". It's a very general term. Do you train in Ryukyu Kempo (founded by Shigeru Nakamura), Matsumura Kempo (Yuichi Kuda) or another branch? Is it a Hawaiian influenced Kenpo/Kempo like Kajukenbo, Tracy's, etc.?

BTW it's spelled "Okinawan". If you were an Okinawan stylist I think you might know that though (at least you'd better). In Okinawan Karate the history, name and meaning of that name is an essential requirement for rank testing, even at the beginning belts. Okinawan karate and kempo are descended from Shaolin Chuan Fa (Ken Po) as taught by Chief Military Attache for China Shifu Iwah. Originally it was only taught to family members and good friends. Sokon Matsumura the founder of all Okinawan ShuriTe and Kenpo was the bodyguard and chief combat instructor for the bodyguards of Shuri castle (until 88 years old). Okinawa is a very small country that takes pride in its heritage. It's a respect thing that most westeners can't understand.

You must understand this if your Sensei/Shinshii is teaching you correctly.

Royal Dragon
06-23-2002, 07:07 AM
Does THAT count?

Kay k
06-24-2002, 07:58 AM
well he WASN'T teaching me correctly that's why i quit...

dnc101
06-28-2002, 08:30 AM
If you want to know more about it, go to:

http://indigo.ie/~kenpoed/

Or search for American Kenpo Ireland. They should be able to point you to a school in your general area.

If you can't find a good Kenpo school at this time you should consider another style. The Philipino Martial Arts are good, and they mesh well with most other external styles if you later change. Or do grappling now and striking later. Best bet is to visit all your local schools and see what strikes your fancy.