PDA

View Full Version : Does kung fu have good kicking combos?

Nutt'nhunny
10-06-2001, 09:20 PM
If so can you describe how they work?

DrunkenMonkey
10-07-2001, 05:17 AM
kicking combos are worthless. Anything above 2 kicks is suicide unless you're cung le

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous

tnwingtsun
10-07-2001, 08:10 AM
4 years of Hsing I, 7 Star praying mantis
and you don't know?

Jaguar Wong
10-07-2001, 05:47 PM
The only kicking combos that I've seen in Northern Shaolin were more like fakes, or using one kick to attack, then the next if your opponent moves out of range, and you need to move back in safely before they can get their bearings.

The most effective combos in KF are the punch/kick combos. Using your kicks to set up the punches or vice versa. Or sometimes using multiple kicks to close the distance, or something like that.

I ususally use the front kick/1-2 punch combo, or the roundhouse (low) to the lead hand jab/backfist, or a lead hand hook (either low, or high, or a combo of both).

Jaguar Wong

Shaolindynasty
10-07-2001, 06:03 PM
Why can Cung le use kick combos and nobody else can? Is he a mutant? I use kicking combos all the time like side/spin kick, this one may sound risky but if you can do it fast you almost always catch them on the spin kick(takes about 2 years to do good enough to really use). Also use a front kick to the shin followed by a side kick on the body with the same kicking leg this one works good to. Front sweep, back kick, followed by a spin kick is a good one. I have a ton more but don't feel like typing any more so I'll post them later.

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

Kung Lek
10-07-2001, 06:11 PM
yes, in North Shaolin there is the 2 kick combo, 1 low 1 high, sometimes the low one is a feign and other times it is a knee or groin kick.

also, front sweep followed by back sweep, followed by a kick is found in the style.

I think that Cung Le has drawn his combos from crosstraining in a few arts.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Waidan
10-07-2001, 08:20 PM
In San Soo we had a couple very solid kick combos. Roundhouse kick to the inside of opponent's knee, followed by sidekick (same foot) to kneecap of opponent's other leg is a favorite of mine.

Sorry if the description isn't particularly easy to follow...but it makes the bad guy say "aah" and fall down.

I guess you could say Bagua is littered with kick combos, but not really in the same sense. Basically if two kicks naturally and effectively follow one another, it's totally valid. (but there's always accompanying handwork of some type).

EARTH DRAGON
10-07-2001, 08:23 PM
Kung fu is not always about fighting and what works in combat for that is just a small part of your training, it is designed to train the entire body as a whole. So you can not judge and delete what you think is right or wrong or what works for fighting becuse if you do you will weaken the foundation of a total complete system! that is why so many total systems have been lost, and what remains are simply styles like so may of non chinese now practice. We actually have 12 combos in our system. While some are very practical for fighting like right mantis kick turn back kick, some are simply to train the lower body to become agile, flexible and grafceful when in movement. A good kung fu system will have the whole pie not just pieces it should have techniques to make you totally well rounded like left and right,upper and lower and inside and out. If you have no techniqes that require you to have total control over every part of your body then you are missing a little piece of a big picture. Ask your self this is the system your are in is a total complete system or just a style of kung fu? do you have healing? accupunture? bone setting? herbology? do you have internal? tai chi? qigong? meditation? and do you have complete combat skills? punches kicks? throws? jointlocks? pressure points? ground fighting? when you look into the depths and if you research you will be quite suprised!

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Scarletmantis
10-07-2001, 08:38 PM
Classical Tai Chi Chuan is a system in and of itself. Why is it necessary to have "Tai Chi" for your system to be complete? It sounds as if you are suggessting that you have combined your 8 step with Tai Chi.

How have you done that, and what in your opinion, is the benifit?

"Master, here is a stick. Please beat me for my insolence." - KC Elbows

Knifefighter
10-07-2001, 10:41 PM
Scarlet:
Did you contact Ryan about fighting in his event?

EARTH DRAGON
10-08-2001, 12:36 AM
I am using tai chi as an example of internal part of a system, this is where many styles lack, the internal aspect or healing aspect of all complete systems. If indeed stlyes have no internal or healing side they are not complete systems.

We do not mix our kung fu with anything for it is a highly respectable art in its own right.
My teachers teacher Wei xiao tung exchanged the entire Wu stlye with our system from the founder of Wu style (Wu ching chan) and I can assure you that Tai Chi Chuan is not a complete system but different famliy styles. but again are kept totally seperate but however they do compliment each other.

dooder
10-08-2001, 01:23 AM
In all the styles that the term kung fu encompasses yes there are good kick combos. I always throw low wheel kick to high wheel kick or low wheel to high hook kick and usually follow up with a side kick or spin side kick. Inward crescent to spin outward crescent is pretty common. low cross leg kick to any other kick works well. There's no reason not to use your hands in conjunction with your feet though.
peace

DrunkenMonkey
10-08-2001, 05:16 AM
we are talking about combos that can be used in real life almost all the time, not combos that you can only do when the opponent does this and this and this. For example, you can usually always employ a front stap/round or a low round/high round or a low front snap/hook kick

not this spin kick ****. in real life you don't use that. if you do, you get your ass kicked

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous

Scarletmantis
10-09-2001, 06:49 AM
Increasingly, your posts seem to indicate that you do not know what you are talking about. 8 Step may be a respectable style of the Northern Mantis System, but as with ALL styles of NPM, it has borrowed from other CMA's.

7* has influences from EIGHTEEN different styles. 8 Step is related to Mei Hua, but borrows Ba Gua Zhang's footwork.

Personally, I think you read an article you don't really understand (and which I disagree with) and started spouting it as rhetoric.

Classical Chen Tai Chi Chuan is a complete system. Perhaps the venerable Tai Chi you have been exposed to is incomplete.

In another post, you said "Aikido is an internal style of Karate". Get your facts straight before you comment on what other people are doing.

:)

Scarletmantis
10-09-2001, 06:56 AM
Are you Lester Griffin? No, I didn't contact Ryan. I am trying to contact you directly, but have misplaced your addey. Mind sending it to me again?

EARTH DRAGON
10-09-2001, 07:30 AM
I am just stating my opinon, I am sorry if yours is different but not every body has to agree.

7* has influences from EIGHTEEN different styles. 8 Step is related to Mei Hua, but borrows Ba Gua Zhang's footwork.

8 step has shuai chiao, tom bei and hsing I where did I say that it has'nt borrowed from other styles.

Personally, I think you read an article you don't really understand (and which I disagree with) and started spouting it as rhetoric.

the article is about kicking combinations what dont I understand?

Classical Chen Tai Chi Chuan is a complete system. Perhaps the venerable Tai Chi you have been exposed to is incomplete.

Chen Is a family stlye not a system. The tai chi chuan I have been exposed to was handed down from my grand teacher who exchanged information with Wu ching Chen the founder of Wu stlye again style not chen or wu system.

In another post, you said "Aikido is an internal style of Karate". Get your facts straight before you comment on what other people are doing

I always thought of aikido as an internal stlye of karate compared to issinryu or gojuryu but maybe I am wrong if I am, I'm sorry but please dont bite my head off.