PDA

View Full Version : better for kicks?

TjD
06-14-2002, 01:14 PM
which lift would be better for more power in my kicks

deadlift, or squat?

i go lifting in the morning, and do 1 set of 5 deadlifts currently
(basic P2P stuff, 1 set of 5, increase every day, when i cant hit 5 take a couple days off and start higher than before)

then i do a bunch of kicks each night :)

so, which would help more, deadlift or squat?

peace
travis

Scott R. Brown
06-14-2002, 08:06 PM
TjD,

Neither, the best exercises to develop power are:

1) Power Cleans or Clean and Press
2) Hang Cleans and Press
3) Push Press

If you have never performed these exercises it is imperative that you get proper instruction first. These are the exercises that professional atheletes and Olympic athletes use to develop power for their sports. Cleans are above and beyond any other exercise for developing power. Olympic power lifters are noted for being able to slam dunk a basketball from a standstill. This is possible with the 350 lb. Power Lifters as well as the 145 lb. atheletes.

3-5 sets of 3-6 reps at 35-85 percent of your 1 rep max is all you need to do. It is not recommended to do 1 rep maxes when the athelete is not a Power lifter. This is because it is imperative to use proper form and and the heavier the weight the increased possibility of injury. Also, the heavier weights will not necessarily provide you with the optimum power output. Most coaches recommend the lower percentages. What you are trying to develop is called "explosive power" and studies have shown that very heavy weights to not significantly increase power output, but do increase the chance of injury.

TjD
06-15-2002, 03:51 PM
acutally my current schedule includes cleans

i do a set of deadlifts, take a rest, a set of clean pulls, take a rest then a set of power cleans

then i do some calf raises; stomache and upper body

i was just wondering if perhaps squats would be better :)

guess not

the reason i only do 1 set instead of 3-6 is because i like to do kung fu every day, and if i do multiple sets im usually too worn out to practice well

thanks,
travis