PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Forum Dynamic...

Merryprankster
06-15-2002, 12:19 AM
I remember when I came on here how um, there was the MMA vs Kung Fu 'war' going on. Oh sure, we still get some posts like that every now and again, but in my mind, the whole beast has largely been sorted out, with different points of view being clarified. We've moved on to more interesting matters, like making a KFO movie, and having giant threads dedicated to Jet Li.

However, I swung by cyberkwoon, which I typically don't do for the simple reason that I find it to be stifling, and noted that they seem to be having the same conversation that was brutally murdered on here several months ago.

Funny that it's just happening again, somewhere else :) Same comments, same attitudes, same everything.

Interesting.

diego
06-15-2002, 12:21 AM
kinda like the 500mile monkey effect in that japanese island
THE MONKEYS WASHED THE POTATOES:)

Merryprankster
06-15-2002, 12:22 AM
Yup! :)

Mr Punch
06-15-2002, 12:28 AM
Yes, but it hasn't got us loverly peeps!!;)

I like that when everybody was rowing about politics and the war and all that stuff, despite things occasionally getting a bit abusive, a few people eventually came to some kinds of agreement, or at least cordially agreed to disagree, about many of the points.

So, next time 'it' rears its GDA (sorry, KFO-speak for 'ugly head'), we'll be able to start from a little way further down the road...

You see, in this way long-term European diplomatic policy CAN work, over short-term US power-play...!:cool: :rolleyes: :D

You know, I get a bit hacked off at not having the time to participte fully in some of the discussions... and just having to leave annoying little titbits and stirring things...!

:D It's a hard life being a devil's advocate!

Mr Punch
06-15-2002, 12:29 AM
lmao:D

DelicateSound
06-15-2002, 06:44 AM
What did we boil it down to again:

"MMA is a viable system, Kung Fu is a viable system. Both have their places in the MA world. Neither are the Ultimate Fighting System, but both can be turned into a complete and effective system through the hard work and dedication if the individual"

Yes?

Could Ffab and his Nazi minions grasp that concept? :D

It just shows how the diplomatic, harmonious stance of KFO has put it way ahead of places like Cyberkwoon and E-Budo on the evolutionary scale.

Darwin might have been right after all, as E-Budo seems to be empty all of the time..... :p

Le nOObi
06-15-2002, 07:03 AM
The make up of KFO is why i post here. I mean on that cyberkwoon thread the guy who started it thought a good way to defend against a take down would be kicking with both feet at the same time which not only would get you taken down but is also nearly physically impossible! I like KFO because people generally seem more knowledgable about a variety of subjects and dont think that all grapplers will rush in and try to grap both of your legs out from under you.

David Jamieson
06-15-2002, 08:41 AM
Hey, nobody can say that Kung Fu Magazine hasn't put forth the effort to make stronger all of martial arts society.

peace

Royal Dragon
06-15-2002, 09:31 AM
I was even a subscribing member ther until the whole Neal ******* thing exploded over there and a good amount of the people there INCLUDING the Cyberkwoon founder were either defending him, or enabling him. Then, when I got labled a Troll ove the issue, I just lost intrest in that forum. Thos guys are just daffy INMO.

Dragon's list is pretty cool, I'm an overthrown "good" Emperor on a thread there. I have a female advasary ther too, hmmmm interesting wouldn't you say?

KFO HOWEVER has always been the coolest. I can speak my mind here and not have to worry about pompus elitists acting like they are better than me, or the Admins harrassing me with "Troll" tags either. That and there are just a bunch of great guys here who are very knowledgable and fun to agrue, fight and yes.....Dare I say it.....even agree with, sometimes often even!!!:D

That and I get to be the evil all conquering Emperor of KFO land, and have the lovely Queen Whu Shu Chick locked up in MY tower to boot!! (Warning, bend to my will or an army of Mini Me's will be comming for you!!!)

Oh, by the way has anyone seen my bald cat Mr. Bigglesworth?

The Emperor

Lice
06-15-2002, 11:09 AM
Well, I think the folks over at CyberKwoon are feeling a bit defensive... and not entirely for no reason. (See http://www.mma.tv/TUF/DisplayMessages.cfm?TID=44988&P=131&FID=1)

Some of the MMAers had good intentions, but there were a few that came along that just ruined the entire idea. I hope some of them stay and contribute, just as I like the contributions of ground and MMA fighters on this board. The ones that were there for the sole purpose of proving the uselessness and foolishness of kung fu through mockery and insults... well, **** 'em. :)

MP, in case you haven't seen it, here's an interesting quote from the UG board:

Kung fu online isn't any fun any more because forum members Jimmy23 and Merryprankster have educated them sufficiently.

PS: The leg shooting defense of a handstance and kicking with both legs was a joke. Or, at least that's what he said later.

anton
06-15-2002, 11:00 PM
yay this place is the best!!

Merryprankster
06-16-2002, 12:01 AM
Let the self congratulatory circle jerk begin! :D

And as a closed door student, I have discovered the secrets of KFO posting. Note:

**** OFF ****ers.

Study your forms and meditate, and you too can discover how to use your chi to circumvent the "laws of forums..."

Admins--I promise not to do it again :)

DelicateSound
06-16-2002, 03:46 AM
Admins - I can't make that ****ing promise. Sorry. :D

MPS - Was it Grandmaster Ewallace that taught you? Apparantly Ironfist learnt it from a rival school. He must die....

We must challenge him in a Swearing Bee! :D

Let's see Chang Style Novice win that one then....

.....the big crapweasel. :p

Merryprankster
06-16-2002, 03:50 AM
Nah, I figured it out myself. :)

And buddy, I'm in a sea going service--if somebody can outswear me than I must hang my head in shame, buy them a pint, and learn from the grandmaster.

I've heard things that would make satan blush. :)

DelicateSound
06-16-2002, 03:58 AM
US Coast Guard right?

I did 6 months out sailing on a Brig. We hit a Force 10 in the North Sea and I learned to swear then I can tell you.

Merryprankster
06-16-2002, 04:03 AM
Brigs are cool.

Two masted full rigged jobs, right?

DelicateSound
06-16-2002, 04:13 AM
Yeah, from Course to Royal.

The aft Royal was "my" sail. i.e: My responsibility to haul and set.

I never had a fear of heights until I was up there. Sigmend Freud is a liar :D

It's probably not the best to be 60ft up a mast when you discover your fear of heights. :eek:

What's Coastguarding like? Is it the pirate-fighting, drug-battling action film that 1980's TV would have me believe?! :)

Merryprankster
06-16-2002, 04:20 AM
No. Although that depends. Day in and day out at the small boat staions around the country, people are rescued and property preserved. Those in the forefront of the drug war (not my fault, don't blame me) do their thing.

I was Mainmast captain on EAGLE--a three masted Barque. From Main Course to Royal was my responsibility---but the ships made of steel, so setting sail with on person per sail is impossible--you can have one person tend the clew, bunt, and bunt-leech lines for the t'gallant, royal, upper and lower, but the braces are so taught on the large steel yards that you really have to have two people on each brace eased--and SEVERAL to haul. Fortunately, the lifts on the top four were fixed so that made it easier--you just trimmed with the braces and clews....

Good days....

"On the fore, on the main, on the mizzen, ready about!"

"On the main braces, ease starboard, haul around port!"

Good times. You know you're starting to get it when you can stopper a brace by marrying the lines. A dangerous practice with so much tension--but so MUCH faster than using a chinese stopper--much less a rattail!!!

Merryprankster
06-16-2002, 04:31 AM
I gotta bail man :( We can talk about this later though!!

What was the name of your brig? Ever been on Eye of the Wind? Or seen the Eendracht? Eendracht is just BEAUTIFUL!

DelicateSound
06-16-2002, 05:01 AM
My ship was the Stavros S Niarchos, or the British STA.

The nicest ship I've ever seen was the Mexican Navy's training ship the Quathimoc. Man that was a nice ship. We moored up alongside it in Dundee at the Tall Ships Race festival. Compared to our boring tub of crap it was heaven.

We came off our ship, a bland steel tub and onto this all wooden triple-masted monstrosity that was decorated like Rio in Mardi Gras. And the food..... man those Mexican sailors had it good. The *******s kicked our arses at tug-or-war too. :(

I was Mainmast captain on EAGLE--a three masted Barque. From Main Course to Royal was my responsibility---but the ships made of steel, so setting sail with on person per sail is impossible--you can have one person tend the clew, bunt, and bunt-leech lines for the t'gallant, royal, upper and lower, but the braces are so taught on the large steel yards that you really have to have two people on each brace eased--and SEVERAL to haul. Fortunately, the lifts on the top four were fixed so that made it easier--you just trimmed with the braces and clews....

For the Royal and T'gallant [sp?] we were OK, but the upper and lower topsails needed three people on the braces, and on the course we needed five or six! This was a mixed-sex crew though, so it can be forgiven! [Sorry gals!] To haul we started off with several people on the course and lower topsail, but it got to the stage that for hauling anything below the t'gallant we just divided the biggest blokes into groups. :D

We never had any sails fixed, that must be much easier. Git! :D

I'll "TTT" this thread if it wanes MPS nice to fing a fellow sailor on here. :)

Gabriel
06-16-2002, 05:44 PM
Ya buncha limey squids! :D

"You know you're starting to get it when you can stopper a brace by marrying the lines. A dangerous practice with so much tension--but so MUCH faster than using a chinese stopper--much less a rattail!!!"

:confused: :rolleyes: :D

Gabriel the "Landlubber"

Merryprankster
06-16-2002, 07:10 PM
Gabe--if you want the biggest blast of your life, scrape a few thousand bucks together and hire yourself out as a deckhand on a tall ship. You won't regret it.

Delicate--the Cuahtemoc was built on the same general plans as Eagle. The difference is that the upper and lower topsails on the fore and main are completely fixed. On Eagle, the Sagres II and a couple other sister ships, the upper and lower yardarms are moveable, and raised up and down by halyards. It makes setting them easier in heavy wind, because you clew down FIRST, then use a walkaway on the halyard, and take advantage of those huge blocks and leverage to raise the yard.

I was in the Cutty Sark Tall ship race in 1996, from Rostock to St Petersburg. I seem to recall the Russian Ship Mir placing first, and the Eendracht third or something.

Our pig came in near the bottom. Eagle can take a beating, and pulls 17 knots hull speed with a high wind off the quarters, but we had really light winds to St. Petersburg. In fact, we were pushing to get underway on time (they delayed us) as a storm front moved through because we knew our rigging and ship could take it with no danger--We would have FLOWN to St Petersburg. I remember when to converging lows developed, one from the south and one from the north--the converging systems created a river of fast air between them--we shot right down the pipe at 16.5. That's LIVING.

Cuahtemoc also has a giant spanker on the mizzen, as I recall. Eagle has divided that into an upper and lower mizzensail. It makes tacking and wearing a little easier because you can get partial forces on the ass end of the ship, instead of the big huge one past the pivot point. The downshot is it takes more manpower--you've got an entire extra set of inhauls, outhauls, and vangs...

The guys on the Cuahtemoc were total *******s to us. Each of their midshipmen carry a knife around, and one of our guys asked to see it---they got all ****y, and one of them busts out:

"No,no--I cannot give ju my knife--if I give ju my knife, I will have to kill ju."

Um, yeah--chill out, head over to the Alexander Hamilton (the Beck's ship with the green sails) and have yourself a beer pal :).

Hey-did you ever run into funny stuff with other crews? All the guys from the "macho" countries were telling our female crew to go get them coffee, asking if the women were there for entertainment, saying how nice it was that we were allowed to bring our girlfriends and mistresses, etc.

I was dying laughing when that happenned. Of course, some of our crewmembers were less than amused. :)

wooha
06-17-2002, 08:28 AM
MPS - Was it Grandmaster Ewallace that taught you? Apparantly Ironfist learnt it from a rival school. He must die.... :eek:

Hey, did you forget who it was that first discovered and exploited the flaw in the system?

That's right, it was me.. all meee!

Credit where it's ****ing due.. 'Grandmaster Ewallace'? .. pleeaase. :rolleyes:

Xebsball
06-17-2002, 08:34 AM
Ok, i guess this thread evolved beyond my understanding