PDA

View Full Version : Ryu!

DelicateSound
06-15-2002, 03:49 PM
Dude, you know that army of Japanese hotties that you have working for you :D

Could they translate "Wing Chun" into Japanese for me.

I'm just curious after the JKD=Sekkendoe thing.

Be much appreciated mate. :)

Ryu
06-15-2002, 04:19 PM
My army is depleting, Delicate :( :(

Yeah I can ask. :) But they're not knowledgable in anything martial art related. So.... they might not know what "wing chun" even is let alone how to translate it. But I'll try. I'll show them how it's written in Chinese, and maybe they can figure something out.

Isn't wing chun just the name of the founder? (I.E. Wing Chun Fist? ) I don't know for sure, so could you tell me what it means in English too?

Thanks.

Ryu

DelicateSound
06-15-2002, 04:26 PM
God I'm stupid - I told myself to remember to put that. [slaps self]

It is widely accepted as "Beautiful Springtime."

Some say that is literally means "Humming a song to oneself in springtime" but that sounds pathetically long to me. Beautiful Springtime will do fine. :)

Wing Chun is the name of the girl who Ng Moi [WC's founder] taught the style too first.

"Wing Chun Kuen" means Wing Chun Fist.

I presume that "doe" is Japanese for fist right?

Cheers again Ryu! :D

[You need a new recruitment drive. Ever see the 1940's posters? It could be a "Your hareem needs you!" situation!]

Ryu
06-15-2002, 04:30 PM
Do = way or path.

"ken" can be translated into fist (or sword too)

Sek Ken Do (although Sekken depending on how it's written can mean a lot of things including soap, sweeping over, etc.)

Beautiful Springtime. I'll ask for you. It might come out weird though... I mean as far as a "martial art" sounding name. But I'll do what I can. :D

Ryu

DelicateSound
06-15-2002, 04:36 PM
I knew "do" but not "doe" With an "E"! :p SOmeone once told me it meant something cool. But obviously not too cool or I would have remembered it.

"Ken" is fist then. So already we have StreetFighter characters called fist and school*. If I find out that "Guile" is the Japanese word for lubrication then the Capcom HQ is seedier than Tokyo Central of a night-time. :D

Cheers for asking Ryu. What happened to the hareem BTW? I thought they were loyal like puppydogs?

* I know - interpretation....... :p

Ryu
06-15-2002, 04:44 PM
Good friends always are. ;) It's best to know who's a friend and who's not.

Hey, no prob. I'll try to get the translation for you on monday. :)
(there might be some people on this board who can help you too.)

Take care,
Ryu

DelicateSound
06-15-2002, 05:10 PM
You got that right mate. All too true.

I've tried 1000 Eng-Jap dictionaries and ALL require Kanji.

D a m n e d I n t e r n e t ! !

Cheers for the translation Ryu - I owe you a beer :D

DelicateSound
06-16-2002, 07:54 AM
TTMFT my Greek compadre!