PDA

View Full Version : Choy Li Fut practioners in Vancouver, B.C.

iron_silk
06-13-2001, 08:58 AM
Hi there! I am new to this forum but I was just wondering how many of the Choy Lay Fut (or should I say Fat) are out there and uses this forum?

I personally learned choy lay fut awhile ago from master Wong Ha and due to certain situations have not recently taken any more.

I just wanted to see if any of you are interested in perhaps enlightening me of some info. Such as I had (for some reason) believed we practiced the family style of Choy Lay Fut and I believed someone a while back mentioned it was Hong Sing?

Thanks for your time!
:)

Fu-Pow
06-13-2001, 07:33 PM
I do CLF. I'm part of the Hung-Sing Branch in the U.S. We just had a tournament in Vancouver and competed against some of Hilbert Yee's? students. There CLF looked very different than ours. It seems that they had a lot of wushu mixed in (no offense). I've never seen Wong Ha perform but I've heard he is very good. I think there are 3 branches Hung-Sing, Hong-Sing and Wing Tsing Tong (which is the family style).

Peace

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/logo.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

CLFNole
06-13-2001, 07:40 PM
Hilbert Yu was a student of Wong Ha and mixed CLF with wushu. I first saw his students in Seatle in 1995 and asked my sifu Lee Koon Hung if this was Choy Lay Fut. He just shook his head.

I have met some of his students and they were pretty cool. Although I personally don't like to mix styles together I don't have anything bad to say about them. To each there own.

Peace.

premier
06-13-2001, 10:09 PM
Wing sing tong is just the group of advanced students (masters themselves) taught by Chan Yong Fa personally.

We call our style simply Choy lee fut. I don't think there's any official branch name, because the whole choy lee fut community is concidered as one big happy family! :) But if you absolutely need to have a name for our branch, I think "Chan family choy lee fut" is good.

iron_silk
06-13-2001, 11:33 PM
I am some what aware of the different Choy Lay Fut styles out there, and of course am aware of the many famous masters of such...but I was really wondering which specific style was practiced in Hong Kong. I realize that perhaps master Hilbert Yiu's interest had applied of wushu into his curriculum, but still he had learned from Wong Ha, and there I was really just curious about the specific style of Choy Lay Fut I had learned.

Just curious, I got nothing against which specific style to which, nor is it really important, I just thought someone might know. Especially if you practice Choy Lay Fut in Vancouver.

Thanks everybody!

Fu-Pow2
06-14-2001, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the info.

I thought I saw wushu mixed in with the Choy Lay Fut. I didn't really care for it. It seemed to lack the fluidity and power that characterizes CLF. No offense to Hilbert Yu, I competed against his students in forms at the tournament and they beat me in weapons and hand forms. Wushu is good for somethings!!

As for Wing Tsing Tong....that is very interesting. I got that name off their logo and I assumed it was the name of the organization. Thanks for the clarification. :D

I don't think anyone here is putting down a specific branch. However, I will say that when you start mixing styles as Hilbert Yu has done you better really know what you are doing (like Chan Heung) or you art can really suffer. :D