PDA

View Full Version : Ironfist

DelicateSound
06-15-2002, 05:06 PM
I hate to do this mate, as you seem to be KFO's most exploited commodity, but I have a weight lifting query [sorry :(]

I'm back in the routine of training in about a weeks time and want a more comprehensive routine. I'm a mesomorph but jog, so scrawny.

At the moment my routine is merely squats, curls, military and bench press, lateral and horizontal raises, three types of crunch and supines.

I'm after BULK, and have only freeweights, so I'm doing 5 reps of a weight a can lift 6 of and adjusting the weight accordingly.

My diet is sorted [Tuna!] but my problem is piecing the puzzle.

Is that a comprehensive enough upper-body workout?
Should some of those routines be substituted, rotated or eliminated?
Anything else I really need?

I'm working from the confines of my garage here, so no machines :(

Sorry to beg for answers, I just know that you have them. :)

yu shan
06-15-2002, 05:41 PM
What do you guys think of the comparison of Tuna to Salmon? I`ve made the switch from T to S, makes a good lunch sandwich.

Go straight to the top DS! Ironfist has very good advice.

ged
06-15-2002, 05:50 PM
lol at ironfist being "KFO's most exploited commodity".

IronFist
06-15-2002, 11:42 PM
I'm back in the routine of training in about a weeks time and want a more comprehensive routine. I'm a mesomorph but jog, so scrawny.

At the moment my routine is merely squats, curls, military and bench press, lateral and horizontal raises, three types of crunch and supines.

Is that a comprehensive enough upper-body workout?
Should some of those routines be substituted, rotated or eliminated?
Anything else I really need?

I don't see any back work. Add pullups or lat pull downs or something. If you do military and bench press, do bench first. If you're going for size, don't forget calves.

I'm after BULK, and have only freeweights, so I'm doing 5 reps of a weight a can lift 6 of and adjusting the weight accordingly.

If you're doing 5 reps, start with a bit lower weight and do like 10 sets with 30 seconds to 1:30 rest between sets. Or, you can reduce the weight by 10% for the second set, and again by 10% for the third set, and then keep it at that weight for the remainder of all the sets. Keep doing sets of 5 until your form gets bad. This is similar to what Pavel calls the "bear" routine for mass. If you're going for size, don't start with too heavy of weights. Maybe 50-60% of your 1RM. Slowly increase it over time. Remember, maximal weight and strength does NOT equal maximal size.

You will probably want to divide it into different days. Perhaps do legs one day, pushing muscles (lats, biceps, rear delts) one day, and pulling (chest, front and side delts, triceps) muscles one day.

My diet is sorted [Tuna!] but my problem is piecing the puzzle.

Eh?

I only help you for free because your avatar looks like a big glass of Guinness!!!!! Very nice :)

yu shan said:
What do you guys think of the comparison of Tuna to Salmon? I`ve made the switch from T to S, makes a good lunch sandwich.

I like Salmon. It's a little more expensive, but tuna is very high in mercury and you shouldn't eat much. I think I prefer the taste of salmon as well.

IronFist

IronFist
06-15-2002, 11:45 PM
Don't forget to eat a lot if you want to get big!

Also, mass routine will probably leave you sore which may interfere with your martial arts.

Good luck,

IronFist

DelicateSound
06-16-2002, 03:53 AM
Cheers mate - much appreciated. :)

I like Salmon, but its such a pain cutting out all of the crap in the tin.... :(

IronFist
06-16-2002, 11:49 AM
Tuna comes in a tin, too.

IronFist

DelicateSound
06-16-2002, 11:56 AM
Yes, but you don't have to de-bone and de-skin it.

IronFist
06-16-2002, 08:42 PM
The salmon I buy doesn't have to be de-boned or skinned either.

It comes in round tins like tuna.

Try Chicken of the Sea brand, it's the best.

IronFist

wooha
06-17-2002, 06:30 AM
I always just eat the skin and bones out of the tin. The bones are usually really soft in tinned salmon, you hardly notice them.. even the larger spinal bits. I reckon they've got loads of goodness in them too.

IronFist
06-17-2002, 11:50 AM
Ok :)

Be careful, though. I've heard you can choke on fish bones (knock on wood).

IronFist

DelicateSound
06-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Hmmm. Deboned/skinned Salmon is expensive for a poor student in the UK.

You CAN eat Salmon bones though. They're soft and chewy :D

Be careful to chew though dude. :)

Liokault
06-17-2002, 01:24 PM
Is tinned salmos farmed? Don't farmed salmon get fed loads of crap that stay in them till you eat them?

They get stuff to keep parisites and infections off as they life so close together. They also get red dye in their food to make them salmon pink.

They are also cause enviromental damage where they are farmed.

I am not sure if tinned salmon is always farmed but I avoid it just incase.

wooha
06-17-2002, 01:53 PM
You can buy wild salmon in cans. I've got a tin of wild alaskan salmon in front of me right now.

Ironfist,

you can choke on anything if you try hard enough. The other day I did a full-on choke on a mouthful of rice. Mind you that was because someone near me ****ed and I ****ed myself laughing. Man that hurt like hell. :eek:

IronFist
06-17-2002, 03:09 PM
So farmed salmon is bad?

IronFist

wooha
06-17-2002, 03:18 PM
I try to avoid it.

Not sure if everything Liokault said is true, but I've heard some things.

Serpent
06-17-2002, 08:02 PM
Most farmed animal products are bad to some degree. Supply and demand. You have limited farming space, yet you need maximum output, so the quicker you can grow your animal the better. For that reason, most farm animlas are pumped full of antibiotics to prevent disease spreading in the over crowded spaces and growth hormone to make them bigger more quickly. Churn 'em out and start on the next batch!

Pretty gross really. All those chemicals stay in the meat that you eat. Remember, you are what you eat. That's why I'm a (unt! ;)

Ahem. Anyway. Apparently the chicken used in KFC is about the worst. By all accounts a chicken that hits the burger bun in KFC is only 14 days old, yet so pumped full of growth hormone and force fed that it grows to mature size in that time.

Ewww!

All just what I've heard, but if you try organic meat you will notice the difference. Big time!

scotty1
06-18-2002, 04:23 AM
That's pretty rough man because KFC chicken tastes good. :(

OK - what happens then if you eat too much mercury (in tuna)? I am probably the South's beiggest tuna eater.

DS - if you're after good cheap fishy protein you can buy big tins of mackrel and sardines from supermarkets. Both are jam packed with protein and are cheap. Check 'em out man.

Swimming in the sea...

Swimming in the sea...

Swimming in the sea...

Are soles.

:D

ElPietro
06-18-2002, 11:36 AM
If you want to add mass have your routine focus around the big lifts, namely bench, deadlifts and squats. Doing these three things will incorporate virtually all muscles in your body. Then you can add in smaller muscle groups such as shoulder, triceps, traps, some added hamstring work, biceps, etc. Keep reps in the 6-10 range although, you could designate maybe your first set as a strength focused set and do maybe 3-5 reps and then drop the weight for you next set or two to get into a higher rep range.

But all this will be for nothing if you don't eat additional calories. Just try to get a good amount of protein and fat in you. Take a good amount of carbs and protein post workout but avoid fat at this time.

You can even eat junk food etc...depending on how quickly you want to bulk up. I wouldn't worry too much about the differences between salmon and tuna...it's not like that will be some miracle change in body composition. The oil in salmon is better for you but it's not going to make you suffer much.

Another piece of advice would be to make sure you get enough sleep and are allowing enough time for your body to recover before you hit the iron again. Your growing will occur outside the gym...so make sure you do the things you need to to give it what it needs. A good potent male multivitamin would be my one recommendation as a workout supplement. All the rest can be done with food and there isn't anything you absolutely need to have.

Hope that helps. :)

dragontounge2
06-18-2002, 01:03 PM
Eat plenty of vitamin A & E.

A- Spinach
E- wheat germ

Vitamin A will help build muscle, And E will speed recovery time.

IronFist
06-18-2002, 10:57 PM
I agree with everything ElPietro said.

Except, I still advise against eating tuna more than once every week or so because it is high in mercury.

And make sure you drink enough water. 1/2 to 1 gallon daily.

Good luck,

IronFist