PDA

View Full Version : Length of Wing Chun pole

gnugear
06-16-2002, 09:43 AM
What's the length and what's a common material to make one from ... a curtain rod?

Martial Joe
06-16-2002, 11:34 AM
I am not positive but I think its about 9 feet...and its normaly made from wood, like the wooden dummy...

gnugear
06-16-2002, 04:43 PM
I've heard 8, 9, and 10' ... not sure which (or all) are correct.

PLaTiNuMB
06-16-2002, 05:31 PM
well i'm by no means an expert but...i always thought that the longer heavier poles (anywhere from 9-10 feet long) were only used for training...and that the actual poles you'd use to fight with were something like 6 and a half feet long...i dunno...but yea make it out of wood...something strong like oak... but i dunno...

hope that makes some sense

fantom
06-16-2002, 05:41 PM
Lots of "I don't knows" being posted here. Hope what I know is somewhere near the truth!
Standard length of a pole is 9 foot - made of white oak - very hard but flexably, and springs back straight very quickly!

Pole can be up to 13 foot long, makes it very hard for an attacker to get close.

But if you downsize to a 6 foot pole, you can still do the form as required (southern style), but now both pole endsof the pole can be used, and you can spin the pole vertically by your side (northern style). These spins really will impress your friends.

cheers