PDA

View Full Version : Relaxing, no hard stuff, just how do you relax :)

TzuChan
06-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Just wondering if there is something, to get your mind of everything, relax at the fullest, without having to sleep, or something, just wondering ..

I'm having exams and could definatelly use it ^^

taooftaichi
06-17-2002, 06:49 PM
If you know the Tai Chi form, that is one of the best methods of relaxation.

You can also do Chi Kung exercises, of the milder sort, slowly and gently.

One of the simplest ( not necessarily easy), is slow deep breathing. Try just counting your breaths. If your mind drifts off and starts to think of other things, gently bring your attention back to counting your breaths. Do not force the breathing to be exceptionally slow or deep, just allow it to become gradually slower and deeper.

Many people have found that 15 minutes of meditation can substitute for 30 minutes of sleep.

HuangKaiVun
06-17-2002, 06:56 PM
No, there isn't.

Take it from a guy who's been through medical and graduate school. A test is SUPPOSED to be stressful.

Just be a man and tough your way through it.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
06-18-2002, 06:22 AM
Standing in wuji, focusing on dan tien, sinking and letting everything go to the ground, relaxes me.

Naturalkilla
06-19-2002, 01:09 PM
Yo TzuChan,

My personal experience from my last two years in college has been that I don't lose any sleep the night before a test, I stay very relaxed during tests, and I only seem to need about 7-8 hours of sleep a night instead of 8-9. I do the Yang long set several times a day and 20 minutes+ of staking as well (I'm good with time management, if you haven't guessed already). This has to be one of my favorite benefits of this type of practice. Try it, it should work for you, too.

See ya:D

shaolinboxer
06-19-2002, 01:12 PM
The only defense I ever found against exam stress was graduation.

fa_jing
06-19-2002, 02:43 PM
Yeah, when I was in school, I tried all sorts of things to keep from stressing exams. Unfortunately, going to all of my classes, taking copious notes, and beginning to study weeks before the exam, were not among these things. :)

Anyway, I found out that whether I was totally nervous, or totally cool, made very little difference during the test. After 5 minutes or so, you settle down and start working. Even if you're nervous or tired, you'll perform about the same. The only thing to worry about is blanking out completely - something that's only happened to me twice in my academic career, once my freshman year of highschool, once in my freshman year of college. I couldn't tell you what caused this.
Yeah, graduate, that's a good idea!

-FJ

CD Lee
06-19-2002, 08:57 PM
From a guy who has had way too many hours so to speak in college and universities, trust me on this one...you want to relax for an exam???

Study until you KNOW the material as best you can. After that, literally, there is NOTHING you can do to improve your test score. That should relax you, it did me. I got so worked up over a technical exam once, that my whole semester was riding on, that I became sick, and was almost at the point of throwing up right before the test. I started sweating, freaking out...and then when the test was handed out, I just could not stress one more ounce. My whole body relaxed suddenly with the sensation that there was nothing I could do any more than know what I knew at that moment. I was so relaxed at that moment, I took the test almost with a smile on my face like I was dreaming! I never stressed over an exam ever again after that. I did however, get seriously focused for exams so that would not have to happen again.

TzuChan
06-20-2002, 04:08 AM
****, you're all missing the point, I was just pointing to the exams as to stress the stress .. euhm lol. But all I really wanted to know was, do you know some things (related to MA of course) that MA do to deeply relax, well, you see em do it on the tourneys, just wonder what the hell they're doing ..

Kristoffer
06-20-2002, 06:28 AM
There's many ways to relax, not just doing tai chi or chi gong :D Drink tea, or something cold. Drink lots of water and plan your time. "from 3-6 I'll study, then eat, then study 1 hour, then go for a walk" etc etc..

dezhen2001
06-21-2002, 05:40 AM
i think everyone has a different way of finding something they can do to relax... for me it's practising qigong, or going for walks etc.
I remember when i did karate, i used to practise my forms a lot and used to enjoy just going through them. Sometimes i would just randomly make up combinations if i was feeling angry or stressed and let all the emotion out through my movements. Actually if i'm really upset or angry i do that now and it helps me. Also some things such as not clenching the fists, keeping the hands open and relaxed etc. may also help :)

hope it helps :)

david