PDA

View Full Version : Wtf?

DelicateSound
06-16-2002, 03:57 PM
There are 124 Wing Chun techniques, which are grouped into eight sections. Each of the first three sections is composed of 20 movements; the fourth and fifth sections each has 15 movements; the sixth and seventh sections each is made up of 10 movements; while the last section has 14 movements. Yip Man thought that the seventh and eight sections were too dangerous to be taught publicly. Therefore, he deleted the seventh and eight sections. There are only 116 movements of the Wing Chun dummy taught now

This serious?

:eek:

TjD
06-16-2002, 04:01 PM
i doubt it, i was taught 8 sections of the dummy

sigung could have made them up for us dumb gwailo however :)

peace
travis

TjD
06-16-2002, 04:03 PM
that and most of the dummy if not all is very dangerous; in using the techniques in sparring; i find that most of the shots go to some vulnerable area

palm strikes go right to the kidneys, things of that nature

peace
travis

TzuChan
06-16-2002, 04:10 PM
When do you guys start practicing the dummy ? I want to practice it too, but they don't do it in my WingTsun class, and it is no BS class, otherwise I don't think my Sifu would be head of WT in belgium .. but is it possible to learn it by yourself (although I'm not thinking about starting with it yet, them dummies cost like .. A LOT !!) Anyone here who does it by himself ? It looks like the greatest thing to do, next to sex, at home if I watch some videos :)

TjD
06-16-2002, 04:23 PM
the dummy is my favorite form :)

sifu taught it to me after about 2 years.... but i think i was very lucky in learning it so quickly

and as to learning it by yourself, i wouldnt reccomend that; get a qualified sifu to teach you, if your doing it by yourself youll miss out on a lot, and probably only serve to train bad wing chun

and getting rid of bad habits isnt very easy :(

peace
travis

TzuChan
06-16-2002, 04:28 PM
ok m8, thanks, that must explain why I don't see them doing the dummy, I only train once a week, and all of us, are doing SNT. There's classes for other levels on different days, on ohter places.

TjD
06-16-2002, 04:31 PM
our sifu usually teaches the first two sections of it after chum kiu, and after youve gotten a decent foundation doing 2 handed chi sau

then you learn the rest after biu jee

(however i learned the whole dummy form before biu jee *shrug*)

peace
travis

IronFist
06-16-2002, 09:41 PM
I started learning the dummy right after slt.

But we all know my lineage is the best, so that's why :D :rolleyes:

No but seriously, in my ignorant opinion, I don't see why you couldn't practice any technique on the dummy. That's what I did. Say you learn tan da or whatever. Practice it in the air for a while, practice it on a partner, then why can't you practice it on the dummy? Beats me. I'm sure someone will tell me, though :)

IronFist

Wingman
06-16-2002, 10:46 PM
No but seriously, in my ignorant opinion, I don't see why you couldn't practice any technique on the dummy. That's what I did. Say you learn tan da or whatever. Practice it in the air for a while, practice it on a partner, then why can't you practice it on the dummy? Beats me. I'm sure someone will tell me, though

Ironfist,

IMHO, you can practice any individual technique on the dummy. You can even practice your two man drills on the dummy. You just have to make some adjustments because the dummy is immobile.

I think what they are saying about practicing the dummy after you learn chum kiu is the "dummy form". The dummy form is taught after you have an understanding of chum kiu.

TjD
06-16-2002, 10:57 PM
i was definately talking about the dummy form :)

sure you can practice individual drills like punch/kick, whathave you on the dummy, but its probably no different than doing the same thing on a punching bag, and it might be better to practice those things on a wall bag

peace
travis

wingtsunmonk
06-18-2002, 10:35 AM
TzuChan,

I too am studying WT, in America, and have found that even though I do not yet know the wooden dummy form, I have been using movements from the
wooden dummy from day one. For example, the "universal solution" we use in the opening of our Lat Sao drill is a movement taken from the wooden dummy form.

Ask your Sifu about this. You may be suprised at how much wooden dummy you are already using.

WingTsunMonk

anerlich
06-18-2002, 03:33 PM
The TWC dummy "form" consists of 11 sets, 108 moves in total. Plus there are several other extra sets, some of which are recombinations of moves from other sets, some aren't.

Students at our school are generally introduced to the dummy in periodic special seminars, with no specific length of training or qualifying grade or period required. It is then visisted in class regularly. Students are expected to have developed reasonable facility on the dummy around the time they start Bil Jee, though some sets (outside the first 11) are not shown to the student until they reach instructor level.

IronFist
06-18-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by wingtsunmonk
For example, the "universal solution"

What's that?

IronFist

kungfu cowboy
06-19-2002, 12:14 AM
I believe it's reversing the Big Bang.