PDA

View Full Version : Links to broken cheap wooden dummies. help!

dragontounge2
06-16-2002, 05:41 PM
Can some one give me some links to cheap, used, or broken wooden dummies. Or some one who is selling one. Ironfist you gave some links at ebay but I cant find them. help:(

IronFist
06-16-2002, 08:47 PM
Why do you want a broken dummy?

Just buy my book and build your own :)

IronFist

dragontounge2
06-17-2002, 05:43 AM
because im a cheap poor b@stard :eek: and need a dummy bad!
Gimme some freggin links!

Rolling Elbow
06-17-2002, 08:57 AM
I'm waiting on a book which cost me about 20$ U.S (once you factor in the shipping.) You can make a dummy virtually out of anything..doesn't have to be perfect, mine won't be.

If all else fails, i'll sell you one i build for cheap! Forget the e-bay dummies, they are still trying to sell home made Mook Jong for 850$ + and it doesn't include a stand or shipping. Ridiculous. Its a peice of wood or PVC for god's sakes.

If i were you, i would enter "wooden dummy" as a search on E-Bay. There is a gentleman named Shinmen who is selling a manual for 12$ that shows you how to make a traditional Mook Jong using a PVC body. I couldn't get those plans cause i am in Canada and not the states. If you are in the states, get em, looks like a quality manual. Very simple, very attractive mook jong.
That is the best i can do because beleive me, i've exhausted my search for wooden dummies and related info on the net....besides, you know that once you get one, the magic goes away and you are stuck with a peice of wood in front of you! If you can't use your imagination, your screwed. Yet another reason NOT to spend 1,000$ on something your imagination might not have time for.

dragontounge2
06-17-2002, 09:42 AM
Hey thanks, but check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1837264251

any good??

Rolling Elbow
06-17-2002, 10:15 AM
YES

That thing is beautiful but again, its 500$ U.S for a half dummy! Man, PVC body is as durable and is lighter when it comes to transporting. Ask yourself whehter or not its worth the cost. For under 100$ and some man hours, you can make your own. 500 U.S..anmd still that doesn't include shipping :-/ ...trust me, make your own. I should get my plans this week and will commence building, i'll let you know how easy it goes. Maybe i'll even post one of my ******* creations on E-Bay!

dragontounge2
06-17-2002, 10:29 AM
dude the bid as at 20$$ right now.

Rolling Elbow
06-17-2002, 10:59 AM
News Flash..

RESERVE PRICE is set to 500$ Meaning, he won't sell ya sh$t unless you meet the minimum! (500$) Its there in clear writing..i mean, do you think he'd sell it for that low? Its hardwood and finely crafted!

dragontounge2
06-17-2002, 11:12 AM
Isnt the reserve for the custom made one??

Rolling Elbow
06-17-2002, 11:19 AM
lol, that is one of the "custom " made ones. He is showing one model. He makes a variety based on what the customer wants. I mean look at the peice of junk being sold for 125$. The portable one...how can fine crafted mahogany be worth 20$. That is all, just think about it. :)

IronFist
06-17-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Rolling Elbow
If i were you, i would enter "wooden dummy" as a search on E-Bay. There is a gentleman named Shinmen who is selling a manual for 12$ that shows you how to make a traditional Mook Jong using a PVC body. I couldn't get those plans cause i am in Canada and not the states.

That's me. You can get them in Canada, I ship anywhere. Just make sure you pay me in US dollars.

Oh yeah, that Personal dummy thing that someone posted a link to looks bad. The arms are at the wrong height. On a dummy, the upper arms should be as close to the same height as possible. His are like 2 inches difference. Also, his has no leg.

Why would you pay his reserve price of $500 when you can buy my book and build a perfectly traditional one for about $250 including stand? (heh, sorry, had to plug my book again).

If you want more info, go to my webpage (address in my sig. below). There's a little more info than what is listed at my auction site.

IronFist

dragontounge2
06-17-2002, 12:08 PM
Ill probably buy your book Iron. It is 250$ with the stand? Why so much its a pvc body right? and just wooden arms?

Rolling Elbow
06-17-2002, 12:09 PM
Iron...

You make a **** fine Mook Jong. I also applaud you for making the plans available to the average Joe. I thought i read that you would only ship within the states so i went and bought another book :-( Your was my first choice though. Two questions, how long will it take to ship and how does one get a hold of 9 inch diameter PVC. I've done some initial looking and they don't stock it in our hardware stores.

P.S- What is a price quote to send to Ottawa, Canada? (Nation's capital) Can i purchase it through ebay to expediate the purchasing process?

Thanks.

Hau Tien
06-17-2002, 12:47 PM
Check out construction sites for PVC pipe. I just picked one up the other day that was a piece of scrap... cost me a case of beer that I gave to the construction manager.

You should be able to find all sorts of diameters there... I chose an interior diameter of 10"... but the dummy my style uses is a little thicker, and the arms are completely stationary (And the dummy itself spins.. it's been a challenge to take my Sifu's wooden design and adapt it to PVC pipe... but I just need to drill out two pieces of metal, and I'm ready to assemble:) I'll take some pics when I'm done:)

Hau Tien

Rolling Elbow
06-17-2002, 01:03 PM
This thread is getting interesting....

What is your style? How easy is it to make it spin? What are the advantages of a spinning dummy?

dragontounge2
06-17-2002, 01:12 PM
Hau Tien
are you also chilong from CK.

Hau Tien
06-17-2002, 03:05 PM
CK? Hrm... not sure I know that abbreviation... but I do use the nick Chi-Long on IRC and on a comic book art board I'm on (Digital Webbing)... Odd that you'd make the connection, though, so I'm likely the same person (Unless you just pulled my AIM username from my profile?)... just don't know what you mean by CK?

As for my style, I study 7* Praying Mantis under Sifu Mike Purnell in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada. I also train in Luk Hup Ba Fa (Liu He Ba Fa) under the same Sifu.

The dummy design I'm using comes from my Sifu, as showed to him by Master Kwing Fai Kung. I'm not sure how much further back it goes from there...

But... yeah... it spins... not too hard to get it to do so, when you sit down and think about it. Really, it's just two pipes, one inside the other, with some grease. Works pretty good.

Another difference I forgot to mention was that ours doesn't have a leg on it either... we do have a couple of kicks in the dummy form I'm working on, but instead of kicking a leg, we kick the body of the dummy.

Benefits of a spinning dummy? Well... if you mess up, it gives you a pretty solid smack as it spins. I believe the reason for it is that it trains you with a king of moving target. For instance, when you strike the arms one way, the dummy spins, and you have to remember to block the incoming "strike" from the dummy.

I'll take some pics when I'm done... like I said... all I need to do is get some time to drill out two pieces of metal that will be used to bolt the PVC body to the spinning frame, and I'll be able to assemble it.

Hau Tien

dragontounge2
06-17-2002, 03:09 PM
CK= cyberkwoon

Hau Tien
06-17-2002, 03:16 PM
Oh. In that case, no, I am not the same Chi Long ;)

Rolling Elbow
06-18-2002, 09:37 AM
Received my wooden and human response dummy plans in the mail yesterday..actually looks quite simple to make the thing if you are willing to forego the traditional looking arms and pegs...as long as it is strong enough, i suppose that is all that matters. I would recommend Iron Fists book though..even though i didn't get it (due to thinking it would nto ship here), i think it will give you a more traditional looking mook jong then the one in the book i received. Cheers!

p.s- i thinki may be going with a fence post rather than PVC. Comments or thoughts? ..can't beleive Korea beat my Iti's :-/ ..oh well its great for soccer!

dragontounge2
06-18-2002, 09:41 AM
blind skies and fortune? changes fill my time in the midst I think of you and how it used to be.:confused: :eek: ;) :p

IronFist
06-18-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Rolling Elbow
Iron...

You make a **** fine Mook Jong. I also applaud you for making the plans available to the average Joe. I thought i read that you would only ship within the states so i went and bought another book :-( Your was my first choice though. Two questions, how long will it take to ship and how does one get a hold of 9 inch diameter PVC. I've done some initial looking and they don't stock it in our hardware stores.

P.S- What is a price quote to send to Ottawa, Canada? (Nation's capital) Can i purchase it through ebay to expediate the purchasing process?

Thanks.

Rolling Elbow,

When I'm at the post office tomorrow I will ask about shipping charges to Ottawa. Shipping to Canada would probably be about a week. To get a 9 inch PVC pipe you need to check the yellow pages for plumbers and sewer workers. Call them and ask them if they have a piece of 8 inch (inner diameter) PVC pipe they would sell you. Often they will ask what it's for... if you don't want to go into the MA thing just say it's for an art project.

IronFist

Former castleva
06-20-2002, 11:39 AM
Buy an actual dummy,
and break it.
YouŽll get broken cheap dummy.;)

Honestly,
Network of www may still cover information.
This may be a strange tip but if you do have a forest around you,you might go out looking for trees/wood which cover wooden dummy the most (IŽve personally seen such,may be hell of a job but IŽve seen such...)
Even with wooden dummy being a hard thing to find,you can still build makiwara (striking board) or phoenix eye striking post with relatively tiny effort and money.

I hope this might help some.
Cheers.
:)

Rolling Elbow
06-20-2002, 01:08 PM
Yes,

BUT you cannot practice combinations that involve feeding off and through the limbs of an opponent on a flat makiwara board.... I am going to build a hybrid of a traditional dummy mounted on a spring-tire loaded base to absorb the shock. Its gonna be fun folks...then again, i also plan to write a book, join a band, dump my girl friend and win the lottery...(o.k o.k, not dump my gf, just beg for a little more "own time")

IronFist
06-20-2002, 05:04 PM
Rolling Elbow, shipping to Canada would be US$2.00.

Not that I don't want you to buy my book (poor college student... need money...) but have you looked at a martial arm? (http://www.martialarm.com) ? It might be a cheap alternative and its kind of like a makiwara with an arm or something.

Check it out and tell me what you think.

IronFist

IronFist
06-20-2002, 05:35 PM
Wait, scratch that. I just checked and the martial arm is $220! It used to be like $100 I think. For that $220 you could almost build a dummy my way.

IronFist

Rolling Elbow
06-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Iron, the martial arm is a peice of s#$T. Anyone with half a brain could attach a board with a springy arm to a wall or punching bag and have at it! I wanted something funcitonal and traditional so i could practice sensitivity, stick, and actual taijutsu drills.My instructor has adapted taijutsu trapping and shifting to a form pattern for use on a dummy. With his experience in Wing Chun, CLF, and phillipino stick and knife fighting, its a fine peice of work. I've decided i'll use traditional measurements but build a stand using tires to cushion the imapct and possibly a spring loaded leg.

p.s- Iron, what are you using for the arms? Do you suggest students go out and buy the arms from a company and then just build the rest themselves? Are you familian with Janich's human response dummy? Amazon sent me two copies cause i complained my order was late. I'll trade ya right up! His book cost 2$ more than yours!

IronFist
06-21-2002, 03:36 PM
It's a piece of ****? I thought it might be, but I've never used one so I didn't know. I also thought it was a lot less expensive that it really is.

I've never heard of a human response dummy. I think I'll go look it up.

For the arms, I had mine built by Asheville Woodcrafters, which is what I suggest everyone do. The arms are perfect, and Asheville does it for much less than anyone else. I also included mesurements and everything incase anyone actually wants to do it themselves, however, I included the disclaimer that building arms out of wood yourself is very difficult if you're not an experienced woodworker.

I'm thinking about writing an essay called "how to tell if your Wing Chun dummy is a piece of crap" or something. Cuz there really is a lot of crap in the field. What do you think? :D

IronFist