PDA

View Full Version : One handed techniques?

umgong
06-16-2002, 07:59 PM
In preparation for self-defense situations, how many of you have practiced using one hand to block and counter? Just in case one hand is injured?

Does your style lend itself to this kind of practice. If so, could you name your style? If not, could you also name your style?

Thank you in advance.

Maestro1700
06-16-2002, 09:25 PM
umgong just so you know like all chinese martial arts have what you describe..

its called no defense, counter it basically means you just "ignore" the incoming attack and go right to counter attack

as opposed to defense/counter

or block/defend or whatever

should answer your question, do some research.

Former castleva
06-17-2002, 06:36 AM
Practiced in jujitsu I believe.

Then you should try to stick into what you have,like:
dislocated right elbow,still have one healthy hand/arm and feet.
If no hands,then legs.
If broken patella (kneecap),well...thatīs it,you can still try though.

If you lose one hand,then you should try to defend with your strong side forward,so you can still block/counter/redirect to a point.
Simultaneous attacks-Outside block against knifehand/hammerfist to head/neck,continued with a knifehand to side of neck.

Just my thoughts.

:)

Ish
06-18-2002, 04:40 AM
the best defense is when you see them move in a threatenuing mannor punch them in the face, or kick them then punch them in the face. you only need one hand to do that but if you have both the other works as an extra cover just in case.

TzuChan
06-18-2002, 05:19 AM
Ish is right .. bet you do WingTsun no ? :)

Stacey
06-18-2002, 08:52 AM
praying mantis does, I know wing chun does.

I have, just messing around. Its not so difficult.

Ish
06-19-2002, 04:27 AM
How did ya guess

SSgungfu
06-21-2002, 06:42 AM
You can practice one handed blocks and counters with any style. What is holding you back? Doing it with the left hand only will improve your left hand techniques obviously.

That is why sometimes people spar using nothing but a certain type of kick, or only using one leg and one arm.

Mojo
06-25-2002, 02:35 PM
I have found that the one handed techniques of Master B. Shun are the best. :D

Merryprankster
06-25-2002, 07:45 PM
Mojo:

Have you seen my sonic screwdriver?

Anyhoo--

I practice with both hands tucked into my belt all the time. Great fun!!!

Sleemie
06-27-2002, 07:04 AM
I study the Hung Fut style and there are actually some cripple techniques that have been developed in that style. There is a form that only few people in the Hung Fut system know that is done exclusively with the left hand, the right hand is held behind your back. I've heard that when our Sifu Tai Yim performs it it's quite impressive. In fact, the entire style is called a left handed style. It was developed that way because just about every other style focuses using the right hand, so by using the left hand it's somewhat of a surprise to your opponents and it can throw people off fighting someone who predominantly attacks from the left side, just as it's tricky for a traditional boxer to fight a southpaw.