PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Chan and his Cable Flex

Kungfu boy
06-17-2002, 03:10 AM
Has anybody seen or used one of these? I saw it on a late night infomerical. Apparently he and his stunt team use it religously. You know, I always thought that JC was probably the most unlikely to put crap out on the market just for money, I hope I'm still right but......well you know.

IronFist
06-17-2002, 12:00 PM
I forgot what the Cable Flex looks like, do you have a link? I was also very surprised when I first heard about it.

Did you know that Jackie Chan has his own line of eyewear (http://www.ai.wakwak.com/~underline/eyegear.html) ?

IronFist

Ruah Boxer
06-17-2002, 12:18 PM
http://www.cableflex.com/WC_Main.html

I found a link for you since I've seen this thing too. There's also another version out that Goldberg the professional wrestler is trying to sell through an infomercial.

IronFist
06-17-2002, 03:25 PM
You know, I love Jackie Chan. He's my favorite action star, and I love his movies.

But, whoever wrote that informercial knows very little about anatomy and resistance training. Many of the "facts" they give are inaccurate and misleading.

The creator of this machine doesn't even do lateral raises properly in his demo.

Sorry Jackie, you need to stick to making movies :)

OMG! I just looked and it's $120!! I was going to say, for $20 or $30 or something it might not be that bad. Hell, for $30 you can get a door gym from Walmart which is kind of the same thing except it goes on your door.

IronFist

Kungfu boy
06-18-2002, 05:58 AM
I figured it was crap but didn't want to believe JC had sold out....breaks my heart dude. And no, I didn't know about the eyewear. But I guess thats what happens to a guy after he has a animated series made about him. Its one of those sunday morning cartoon things....

Later

Sleemie
06-18-2002, 07:33 AM
Speaking of the door thingies from walmart, does anyone recommend using something like that for stretching? At times when I do my stretches I feel like I could use some type of equipment to help get further in to the stretch.

wooha
06-18-2002, 08:17 AM
I know how you feel. I always used to feel like I needed some kind of extra help for my home stretching. I never tried any kind of machine or contraption though. At one point I did come up with some kind of kinky Van Damme style arrangement involving two karate belts and my bed, but eventually I just found ways of using the floor and various bits of furniture to get the necessary leverage.

A training partner always makes a pretty good stretching machine.

IronFist
06-18-2002, 11:25 AM
I don't know how you could stretch with the Walmart door thing.

IronFist

Sleemie
06-18-2002, 12:02 PM
I may not be thinking of the same thing, but what I had in mind was a piece of equipment that's designed for the purpose of helping you stretch. You know how when your sitting down stretching and trying to reach your head to your knees or if your legs are spread apart and your trying to reach your head to the floor how sometimes it's a struggle to pull yourself down, but if you had some type of pully or something that you could grab on to for extra leverage...kind of what a stretching partner would do.

Former castleva
06-20-2002, 07:06 AM
This was posted in KFQM a while ago.
I think it was pounded to dust but itīs so hard to believe that Jackie would lay his weight on bad commercial (or that machine,Chuck Norris had a bit similar commercial of some slightly similar machine some time ago)
I believe that if it would get negative fame they would come up with some reasonable explanation but I donīt know.

Rolling Elbow
06-24-2002, 09:54 AM
I watched the add yesterday while trying to get my gf intrested in some type of exercise (she quit TKD cause it was bunk, and after her surgery she has been out a month and has gained considerably i think !)....off track, BUT the Total gym as advertised by Norris is similar but better because you are using your own body weight as resistance rather than turning a nob.

My dad bought the original Total Gym about 15 years ago. The thing looks ancient and is allot larger than the new one but in my opinion , it is better because it could be adapted to heavy weights and withstood more vigorous training sessions at a greater incline. In any event, what i wanted to say is that my bro built his body on that thing plus our old exercise bike and jesus, he looked like a greek statue. Today we are much older and he now uses a ski machine in conjunction with the total gym and free weights, but he still built his foundation on the total gym and he's even bigger now...it works if you work at it. As for the Jackie Flex..hmmm, don't know about that. Looks like it could be benneficial. Anyone seen those Winsor Pilates tapes with DAisy Fuentes? That's what i am trying to get my girl friend into! **** she's stubborn!

IronFist
06-24-2002, 10:52 AM
Did he build his legs on it also?

IronFist

Rolling Elbow
06-24-2002, 11:18 AM
No..

that was one of the complaints. My bro used to bike for 20 minutes, but he would increase the tention as he got more tired. That seemed to do it.

When i was using it, i found that the leg attachments was a neet idea because you could slip it under the frame and it was used for light squats. Kind of like a commercial type of equipment, it is a platform where you rest your feet onand then do squats. The problem is that it jams your feet too far back, isn't the most stable, and doesn't seem to handle the weight of a body on the slide plus the weights added to the sliding portion of the machine. they should have made an extension peice so that you could work weighted squats. There are hamstrig curls and other things you can do though..in fact, there is even supposedly an advanced body building workout that can be done..all kidding aside, its a great workout. Like the bo-flex or any other cable machine, you would still have to supplement it with squats.

Iron, you find that Human response dummy yet? On thinking about it more, i like it less and less. Gonna go traditional.

IronFist
06-24-2002, 01:17 PM
I would doubt that an "advanced bodybuilding workout" is possible on any home machine :)

I couldn't find it at amazon. Do you have a link?

IronFist

Rolling Elbow
06-25-2002, 10:05 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordenk/sfighter.htm

this is the commercial dummy that he has based his human response dummy model on. Same thing, but using a tire cut in half, and springs on the arms. The thing that sucks, is that the arms only bend up and down, not side to side...i also suspect that the legs attached to a spring may give a user a false sense of security because depending on where the knee sits, there could or could not be weight on it..you'll see what i mean. (i hope)

also, what do you think of steel pipe with pvc over top for arms? Should work no?

GeneChing
06-25-2002, 10:21 AM
That's what you guys can get me for Christmas. JC eyewear. cool.

northernJump
06-25-2002, 12:11 PM
Probably less well know is that Jackie owns a chain of Chinee resteraunts in Japan. I ate there once - its a fairly generic Hong kong style chinese food but pretty cheap for downtown Tokyo.
http://www2.gol.com/users/aworks/Jackie/New%20Files/ritenow/jcktchn.html

GeneChing
06-28-2002, 10:53 AM
But I bet the good eats would be at Sammo's. Now there's a MA star who should open a restaurant.

Former castleva
06-29-2002, 02:48 PM
I bet.
Iīve heard heīs a good chef.