PDA

View Full Version : attn: DelicateSound

Ryu
06-17-2002, 01:56 PM
I am going to hang out with my friend tonight, and I'll ask her then about the translation of "Beautiful Springtime." I may not get a chance to post until later on tonight, so I just wanted to let you know I didn't forget. :)

I'll post what she says here on this thread.

Ryu

DelicateSound
06-17-2002, 02:03 PM
Cheers mate! I never for a moment thought you'd forget.

Is this the hot Japanese friend? Tell her if she's ever in England...... I'll introduce her to Oatcakes :D

Ryu
06-17-2002, 09:36 PM
Um... :( seems like a lot of fighting just suddenly sprang up here. Tonights a training night so I'll post the info and go.

DelicateSound, I asked my friend, and she was able to translate "beautiful springtime" into more or less "beautiful spring season."

What she came up with was "Bi Shunki" (Bi meaning Beautiful, and shunki meaning Spring Season.)

However, these don't really go together in the way the Wing Chun word would. So "Bi Shunki Do" would not make a whole lot of sense. :) Just words strung together.
I knew that would probably be the case, but there you go.

I know another J-girl who actually has some rankings in martial arts (or used to) so her opinion might be better.

Ryu

jon
06-17-2002, 11:53 PM
uh
I dont call WING CHUN "Beautiful Springtime" becouse the translation in MY laungage really doesnt make a whole lot of sence.
Is it slimly possible that Japanese would also just call wing chun - wing chun?

Shadow Dragon
06-17-2002, 11:57 PM
Hi.

More likely that they will use the Japanese reading for the Characters:

Shao-Lin = Sho-rin(shi)
Chuan-Fa = Kem-Po
etc.

Cheers.

P.S.: Didn't Mat study WC in Japan??

Ryu
06-18-2002, 12:16 AM
Shadow Dragon's correct.

I have the kanji to Sek Ken Do as well, and my friend only recognized the Ken and Do kanji. "Sek" she said she hadn't seen before and was probably an older Chinese character (or something to that effect.)

If Matt studied WC in Japan then your answer's right there! :D

I'll ask my other friend when I get a hold of her. But again, remember that these are "martial art" terms. Not everyone will be able to translate perfectly. :)

Ryu

Shadow Dragon
06-18-2002, 12:26 AM
Ryu.

I know that Xing Yi Quan(Kei - Ii - ken) also uses a Character that is not commonly used in Japanese.

Peace.

Mr Punch
06-18-2002, 01:14 AM
sorry chaps, tearing hurry.

guess you want this: in Japanese wingchunkuen is eishunken. the kanji for wing/weng/ei is NOT beautiful, it means 'read', 'recite poetry', or sometimes 'laud' or 'praise', so 'praise spring' is a better translation.

There are some styles of wc that use the kanji wing/weng meaning 'beautiful' but they are in a great minority. check out rene's site for more info on the translation/derivation.

but here it's eishunken:

ei (or yomu) pronounced like a short, pure (only a slight dipthong) 'eh'

shun (haru) =spring

ken (not actually used in Japanese but they can read it and you can find it in martial texts)= fist

peace
bye

DelicateSound
06-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Mat - Yip Chun calls it "Beautiful Springtime", the WSL lineage "Praise Spring".

Either 'll do - cheers for the translation Mat. :)

Ryu - It's OK dude, I forgive you. :p Kind of.

Mr Punch
06-19-2002, 03:32 AM
DS, if he uses the translation 'beautiful' it is some kind of marketing tool, or to try and make it more palatable to a western audience somehow.

The character he uses, and most of the other wingchun/vt or whatever styles use means 'praise', 'recite' or 'read'.