PDA

View Full Version : Do you Train like you Post ?

Wongsifu
06-17-2002, 03:07 PM
Hi guys , its the phantom poster again, I check up on the forum every few weeks wanting to get back into the flow of things posting as i used to.
I remember back almost 2 years ago when this forum was my inspiration to practise for hours on end , i would post at midnight until 1 in the morning and practise from 1 until 4. Every night without fail. Mostly due to ppl like Rolls bringing out the best in me :D Giving me a reason to better myself in kf beyond my level to compete professionally.
It was so much fun laughs at ralek , talking about kung fu and anything funny we could find.

Then the forum started to go sucky and now im sorry to say the forum is a joke. This forum is meant to represent kung fu and kung fu dudes, us , Does this forum represent you ?
DO YOU TRAIN LIKE YOU POST ?

Look at all the posts , i cant find one without a whinge in it one without the words bjj in it and worst of all i cant find one that is a ctually related to kung fu !

If this was a Ferrari forum , every single post would be to the extent of jee i saw a nice mini today. Or whinge whine those guys in that civic dont like me cause ive got a ferrari.

Is this how you train you run a lap and tell the teacher

:( waaaa im tired , you stand a stance and you wanna go home to mummy.

Go visit another forum and see how much people like what they do not like this forum.

So many people have left this forum and its a shame.

Look at the real world nobody really gives a sh!t or a Fu(k what style you do. They will cuss you because it is a competitive sport, Imagine if football was the same, you know waaaa lemme cry to mommy cause the other team scored and they said we are no good.

Brad Souders
06-17-2002, 03:21 PM
Did you just mention BJJ. Don't you know this is a Kung Fu forum and not a BJJ forum. Why does everyone mention BJJ. I've never even posted the letters BJJ in any of my posts and will never post BJJ in any. Now lets get back to KF and drop the BJJ talk. :D

wooha
06-17-2002, 03:25 PM
I've been hanging about on the other boards, particularly the Training and Health board. There's quite a few really good discussions going on there.

Seems to me the main kung fu forum here is more like the off-topic section.

Still I usually find it fairly hilarious. You guys come up with some funny stuff every now and then which helps me pass my time at work. :D

By the way, I think this (http://www.turdtwister.com) should be the prize in the next KFO competition.

KC Elbows
06-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Wong, in all fairness, many of the topics that were talked about back in what you see as the heyday of this forum have already been covered just fine, and so we can go back and look them up instead of having to recreate them. Are the members of the ferrari forum making new threads to discuss proper brake pad removal when there is already a brake pad removal thread that sums it up nicely? No. Occassionaly, new topics come up, but there is no point rehashing the old ones since many of them are already here.

Also, I was lurking on this forum during the heyday you're talking about, and it wasn't so different, except some of the topics haven't been covered yet. You guys fell for Ralek just as much as the present bunch fall for Stacy or whoever else.

Not meaning to flame here, but I just don't buy this golden age cr@p.

However, you do have a good point about the fact that many are on this forum to be on this forum. I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that, as long as people have lives away from this forum.

HuangKaiVun
06-17-2002, 03:33 PM
The reason you "cant find one without a whinge in it one without the words bjj in it and worst of all i cant find one that is a ctually related to kung fu" is because you train kung fu EXACTLY as you post -

terribly.

Xebsball
06-17-2002, 03:34 PM
Brad, who are you making fun off, its not funny

Wongsifu
06-17-2002, 04:07 PM
**** i forgot to mention bruce lee, jackie chan and jet li in that post :D

No in all seriousness guys, wouldnt you like to see this place with more of a kung fu is cool feel, rather than, this feeling of
we are the desparate warriors, regroup the weary tired hungry soldiers, we are the silk pyjama wearers who are forever being picked on

I come to this forum and what do i see

1 striker beats grappler
2 90% of fights go to the ground
3 what grapplers think of us

thats 3/25 posts on the first page some1 sees when they come to this forum. Im not aiming this at the people who posted those but just looking at #3 what grapplers think of us we have such a good reputation in the martial arts world it amazes me.

Just read that post its a beauty. On their forum they tottally maul KF and then they actually admit that some of their guys are being D!cks on this forum.
And we always fall for it.
:D
Dont you guys want to be proud of doing kung fu and show that to people .

Hau Tien
06-17-2002, 04:17 PM
*ahem*

Isn't what you're doing here called "whinging"?

I mean really... skip the posts you don't want to read. No one holds a gun to your head to make you read anything.

I see a fair share of trolling and other behaviors around here... but it's not any different any other place these days. Hell... it wasn't any different years ago... there were just fewer people around online.

Whinging about whinging doesn't make it go away;)

Of course... now you could say I'm whinging about you whinging about whinging. *shrug*

Hau Tien

fa_jing
06-17-2002, 07:08 PM
A lot of us don't bother to read or post in those "Grappling vs. Mothra" threads. So, the trolls don't get properly drowned out, and the threads go on, and some people get ****ed. I think, however, that very few people would actually leave KFO because of this - why wouldn't they just ignore those threads? And we all have to agree that the "fun" threads are generally entertaining, if at times boring. Again, if you have an interesting idea, post it.

-FJ

Merryprankster
06-17-2002, 07:22 PM
Wong--

You're boring.

I'm sure I'm one of the guys you're talking about.

Feel free to visit me in DC and find out how I train. Most people don't last an entire class the first few weeks.

Just because you don't post much here doesn't mean that those who do don't train hard.

Some of us are just bored at work in the middle of the night.

Xebsball
06-17-2002, 07:35 PM
MerryP, at least have some respect, even if you disagree with the mans opinion.

Merryprankster
06-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Xebs--I don't think I have to show any more respect than is shown to me--or the other individuals who post on this forum on a regular basis. I'm not a big turn the other cheek fan. When somebody says something that is both disrespectful and not necessarily true, I fly the bull**** flag at full mast.

I NEVER question anybody's personal training on here--it's not my place, and it's not his either.

Note--I didn't question Wong's training--I'm sure he trains hard. But the insinuation that others don't because of post volume is untrue. The MANNER in which he did it wasn't particularly nice.

I'm not exactly offended, but I don't particularly like what I percieve as arrogance--it burns me.

On the other hand, it's perfectly possible I've simply misinterpreted.

Xebsball
06-17-2002, 07:52 PM
ok dude i just thought the boring thing was a bit excesive but its ok dont mind.

Gabriel
06-17-2002, 07:53 PM
Well, grappling is something, imo, that we should address in CMA. Although I agree we shouldn't dwell upon it. I have found the views of grapplers on this forum of some use to how I approach my practice. Check some of the other forums besides the main forum. You will find enough CMA stuff to fill your head no doubt.

Also, I have read up on KFO history, pathetically enough. ;)
You're telling me the "Golden Age" was when Ralek and his cronies were around? Or perhaps the wonderfully edifiying conflict between Reemul and TWS? Maybe a more interesting read for a conflict minded person. But better? Better is an objective term. Depends on where your priotities are.

Gabriel

Merryprankster
06-17-2002, 07:58 PM
Xebs--fair enough! :)

Brad Souders
06-17-2002, 09:01 PM
I can see where you could think i was making fun of someone. Or maybe i just don't have something stuck up my arse. MerryP don't put smiley faces behind your comments some people don't understand what it means. This just proves more that u are a troll you freaken city boy.

Merryprankster
06-17-2002, 09:04 PM
I challenge you to a NHB match to the death by bukkake Gargle-Choke.

You go first....

Gabriel
06-17-2002, 09:06 PM
Ewwwwwwwwww

Water Dragon
06-17-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Wongsifu
DO YOU TRAIN LIKE YOU POST ?

Well, I trained until I puked today. I'm actually hyped because I can rarely push myself that hard. And all I did was my CMA "warm ups" ;)

Agreed about the post count. I think about 95 % of my comments are posted from work.

Brad Souders
06-17-2002, 09:10 PM
I would accept your challenge but my aura is on vaction maybe,we can setup up a slam dunk contest on a 7 ft rim instead. Just remember though i'm a di(k 8---->

* Hey we maybe having a small submission tourney in our school in November. Would be anything special just getting a bunch of schools together to compete and have a good time if you are interested in coming up. I'll drop u more details as they come.

Merryprankster
06-17-2002, 09:14 PM
Provided I'm not working, I'd love to come.

Gi or No-Gi?

Water Dragon
06-17-2002, 09:15 PM
Just don't show up in a gi-string, OK

Merryprankster
06-17-2002, 09:16 PM
Death by Anal Laceration? No thanks.

Xebsball
06-17-2002, 09:19 PM
"Or maybe i just don't have something stuck up my arse."

WTF is that supposed to mean

Brad Souders
06-17-2002, 09:26 PM
Brad: "Or maybe i just don't have something stuck up my arse."

Xebsball: "WTF is that supposed to mean"

Brad: :rolleyes:

Merry if i have my way it will be no gi. but my guess is it will be an all day thing and we will do both.

Xebsball
06-17-2002, 09:32 PM
Hey!!
Listen!
I do NOT ADMIT that you speak to me in such a ofensive way!
You dont have the MORAL STATURE to take advantage of my understandings or misunderstandings of the english language!!

Brad Souders
06-17-2002, 09:37 PM
Are u sure your not from Columbia instead?

Hell i'm still trying to find your anger. Let it go man, LET IT GO!!! :eek:

Merryprankster
06-17-2002, 09:39 PM
Have you worked out the rules and divisions yet? Just curious :)

Brad Souders
06-17-2002, 09:46 PM
Weight classes i'm not sure of. Rules?

HAHA Right now i'm putting together a point system.
Here is what i'm thinking for no-gi.

1/2 point for a takedown/throw where you go down with the person

1 point for takedown/throw and you keep standing after the throw

No points awarded if you land in the oppenents guard.

Stalling = 1 point lose on stand up

I'm thinking of of having no points whats so ever on the ground.

Out point them by exciting takedown or sub them that's it.

What do you think a good time limit would be?

Merryprankster
06-17-2002, 09:49 PM
With those rules? 10 minutes.

Now, realistically, that can't happen, so why not settle on 6? Long enough for the experienced chess matches and short enough for the newbies.

The problem I see is lay and pray. Somebody can have good takedowns, and know just enough on the ground to make it LOOK like they are busy when they have no intention of working for pass or sub.

Have you considered Abu Dhabi rules?

joedoe
06-17-2002, 09:54 PM
If I trained like I post (note the number of posts I have :)) I would be a grandmaster by now :D

[Edit] Doh - I lost about 3000 posts!!!!!

Brad Souders
06-17-2002, 09:56 PM
The only thing i want to avoid is someone running up points without doing much of anything. Like mount 4 points, moves to crossbody, back to mount 4 points, etc...

Gabriel
06-17-2002, 09:56 PM
Brad: I think that your particular brand of humor can be misunderstood even by someone who is well versed in the english language (ie. its their main language) Thats ok though, I have a peculiar sense of humor that few understand.

I do think its mean spirited to abuse someone like Xebsball who may not understand what you're saying, as its an obscure and sarcastic. In what i have read from Xebsball, he seems like an alright guy, and knowledgeable in his art Xing Yi. I do not think you should treat him in the manner you have done so...

Gabriel

P.S. watched your promo, lots of good stuff in there. :)

Brad Souders
06-17-2002, 10:01 PM
Thanks.

My intentions on the one post where not to insult his understanding of the english language. I didn't relize till after i'd already posted that he was from Brasil. So if he thinks i was busting on that then i publicly apologize for that i was only messing around and joking with you X_ball.

Merryprankster
06-17-2002, 10:01 PM
Lemme check the Abu Dhabi rules and see if they can be modified to avoid the lay and pray or the "Points by Pinning Drill" :)

Brad Souders
06-17-2002, 10:04 PM
let me know what you find. We need excitment. Just wondering is Womack training with you guys full time know. I see he still fights under SOS. I have him and Grove fighting in the finals of the 96 AAU National Sport Sombo Championships Final. It was a very good match.

Xebsball
06-17-2002, 10:06 PM
Group Hug!!

Brad Souders
06-17-2002, 10:09 PM
hold up there big fellow ;)

Merryprankster
06-17-2002, 10:13 PM
Brad,

Check these rules out, and see what you think of them:

http://www.adcombat.com/submission/ADCC2001/index.htm

I would elminate the points for the full mount and knee on belly. There are plenty of submissions from crossbody--it's just as dominant IMO and if people LIKE it but are forced to go for points via full mount or knee on, WTF?

I'd keep guard passing points to encourage getting by the legs.

I would NOT score sweeps that are the obvious result of a submission defense. If somebody achilles locks me and I stand and kick through to mount to avoid the lock, I don't think I deserve points.

Or, what about the below?

1 clean takedown
.5 for takedown in the guard
1 pt pass guard
.5 pt for a full blown submission attempt that requires an active defense (defined as the guy has to STOP what he is doing and focus on getting out of trouble for 3 seconds)
1 pt for back mount with hooks in
1 pt clean sweep
.5 pt for sweep into guard or half guard.

Add a .5 penalty for guard pulling and I think you're set.

Brad Souders
06-17-2002, 10:18 PM
We are also thinking of allowing neck cranks and heelhooks but if someone catches it deep to possibly have an agreement with everyone the refee will step in at this point and stop the match. Even though its just a fun get together/ small tourney some people just won't tap.

Brad Souders
06-17-2002, 10:20 PM
Also IMHO crossbody is the most effective position in grappling even over the mount.

Merryprankster
06-17-2002, 10:32 PM
I have an admittion to make...

Even though I'm an ex-wrestler... I'm a guard puller and a guard guy. Sweeps sweeps and more sweeps.... Can't get enough of them.

KC Elbows
06-18-2002, 04:47 AM
This is the most evil hijacking of the week.

Guy comes on to complain about too much grappling talk, not enough kung fu talk, and it gets hijacked and turned into "Grappling: What rules do you like?".

MerryPrankster is the devil.

scotty1
06-18-2002, 05:05 AM
Yeah! Take it to the other arts board boys, come on, move along.

Seriously though, Wongsifu, stop whinging man. ;)

KC Elbows
06-18-2002, 05:24 AM
I didn't know there was a "g" in whining.

scotty1
06-18-2002, 05:27 AM
There's not. The word I wrote was winjing.

Christ KC, I'd have thought you'd be up with the language, being a writer and all. :)

scotty1
06-18-2002, 05:32 AM
I train like I post - very often incorrect.

I also train likeI have sex - not often enough
not long enough

Merryprankster
06-18-2002, 05:41 AM
KC--I hadn't even noticed!

What delicious irony!!

Thanks for pointing it out.

And I agree--should be on the other arts board. Mea Culpa.

KC Elbows
06-18-2002, 05:47 AM
Merry Prankster and fusball is for the devil!

Sorry, I'm sure a Waterboy quote didn't renew Sifu's faith in the forum, but it's not grappling related.

The problem with this forum is all the "whinging". This forum was so much better when that one guy posted the thread "I know what I woulsd be if I were a hot women attracteds to me, is it wrong to hit a guy named Tom who has nothing to do with this?" After that thread, everything went downhill.:D

Merryprankster
06-18-2002, 05:51 AM
hmmm...

I thought it was "debil?"

Thread...deteriorating...rapidly...

Must redeem...

Too late....

KC Elbows
06-18-2002, 06:05 AM
I stand corrected. I really need to work on my ability to write dialect.

Merry Prankster and fusball is for the debil.

Thank you MP.

scotty1
06-18-2002, 06:45 AM
KC have you really never heard whinging before?

KC Elbows
06-18-2002, 06:48 AM
No, I thought it was whining, but I could be wrong. However, it seems unlikely, as after years of marriage, I thought I was an expert on the topic.:D

scotty1
06-18-2002, 06:52 AM
Yeah man, two seperate words.

Whinging, to whinge.

Whining, to whine.

Same thing, different words. Perhaps a difference in pitch.

Wongsifu
06-18-2002, 07:28 AM

All i gotta say is

1 its whingeing and whining

2 no merryprankster you egotistical B@stard i wasnt refferring to you in fact i wasnt even reffering to BJJ blokes.
i was referring to kung fu guys who keep whining. As opposed to most mma or boxers who actually do bother to train.

3 whining and trying to make people take a step back and look at themselves is 2 different things.

4 Why do most kung fu people on this board suffer from delusions of what they believe was said compared to what was actually said ?
Were you lied to as children ? When i say the grass is green , i didnt say eat sh!t and die and roll around on the grass.
I said the grass is green.

5 I never profess that the golden age was when ralek was around in fact that age had 5 times the amount of bjj posts around , but there was more talk of kung fu as well.

6 Im so glad this thread turned out with more posts about grappling than about kung fu :D

See you next year

ewallace
06-18-2002, 08:15 AM
I didn't know there was a "g" in whining.
Uhh...yeah it usually comes at the very end...whining

KC Elbows
06-18-2002, 08:21 AM
B@st@rd!!!:D

guohuen
06-18-2002, 08:28 AM
Mom!.....Mom!.... They're picking on khung phou again!......

Stop your whinging and go play with your sister!

Awwww!....... I dhonwanna!