PDA

View Full Version : Hindu stuff

Serpent
06-17-2002, 08:05 PM
Can someone explain to me what a Hindu squat is and what a Hindu pushup is, and why they're so good? I keep hearing them mentioned but have no idea what they are, how to do them or why they're beneficial.

I thought a Hindu Squat was taking a dump in the street! ;)

Kempo Guy
06-17-2002, 09:13 PM
Check out www.mattfurey.com for descriptions and pictures of how to do a hindu push up (another name is 'dive bombers') and the hindu squats. Try them and you'll find out why they are good. :D

Serpent
06-17-2002, 09:55 PM
I can't find them! Ther's one pic of a Hindu Squat under the Exercises section but it doesn't really give much away. There's no search function on the site that I can see.

Am I just being dense?!

:confused:

IronFist
06-17-2002, 10:13 PM
Furey took his pictures down because he didn't want people to get the stuff for free, I guess. I have another site with pics of Hindu squats, let me find it and I'll post it.

IronFist

IronFist
06-17-2002, 10:17 PM
Bottom of this page: http://www.catchwrestle.com/catchoftheday.htm

IronFist

Serpent
06-17-2002, 10:37 PM
OK, cool, I got that. Do you jump or just stand? Could you also do it jumping for plyometric gain?

What about the Hindu push-up, any pics on that?

IronFist
06-18-2002, 11:32 AM
I guess you could do them jumping, but not too often. They're mainly designed to increases cardio and leg endurance. They say 500 is a good goal.

I know what a Hindu pushup is but I don't know where there is a pic of one online. It's like the pushup where you start with your butt up in the air... uh, I think some people call them dive bombers or something. I dunno. Sorry dude.

IronFist

Ruah Boxer
06-18-2002, 12:13 PM
http://www.testosterone.net/articles/153combat2.html

This should have everything you need.

Sleemie
06-18-2002, 01:42 PM
Okay...who's followed through and stuck with this a while, and what kind of results did you get???

Kempo Guy
06-18-2002, 03:07 PM
Serpent,
Sorry to give you the wrong information. Last time I checked on Furey's site, they were still there (but that was a while ago...).

Sleemie,
I've been doing hindu pushups and hindu squats off and on for a while, but since I don't do these two exercises by themselves I can't give you a proper answer.

I actually prefer doing pistols and/or 'deck squats' over the hindu squats. All in all, Hindu squats definitely increases your strength/endurance. In terms of the Hindu pushups, I have found it works well for the shoulders, and it actually increased my ROM (range of motion).

KG

Ka
06-18-2002, 05:36 PM
A good polymetric excerise incorpating what you have been talking about is the good old burpee.
From the standing position go down into the squat place your hand in front on the floor and jump your feet back into push up postion,jump your feet back into squat spring up and perform one star jump, go back to squat and continue.

Do 100
enjoy :D

Serpent
06-18-2002, 09:11 PM
Thanks all, now I understand! I might start working these in and see what happens.

IronFist
06-18-2002, 09:53 PM
Ka, what is a star jump? You mean like a jumping jack?

IronFist

Ka
06-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Hey Iron
Yes I think you guys call them jumping jacks but I will describe it best I can

From standing swing both arms in an arc above your head at the same time spring your feet out to either side to as wide as possible,spring feet back to centre,arms swing back down to sides.continue
Nothing complex but once put it into the burpee it will wear you down real quick.

Sleemie
I like all these excerises and have found them to work well.HPU are just one type in my training routine.I think they are all effective warmups and conditioning excerises.I would also recommend Bridge (back arche then place weight on your head and neck)

IronFist
06-18-2002, 11:17 PM
Those are jumping jacks, except we don't spread our feet as wide as we can, just to about shoulder width or a little bit more.

Spreading them as wide as you can might get you pretty close to the splits which could be dangerous for this type of exercise.

IronFist

Ka
06-18-2002, 11:36 PM
your right that was poorly written, basically shoulder width or a bit more.

PLCrane
06-19-2002, 05:22 AM
I looked at the picture of the Hindu squat and even tried a few. Is there a reason for coming up on the balls of the feet? I've worked really hard over the last few years to keep my heel planted when I get low, so it felt awkward.

Kumkuat
06-19-2002, 06:49 AM
Aren't dive bomber and hindu pushups different?