PDA

View Full Version : General Choi Hong Hi passes away

PHILBERT
06-17-2002, 08:24 PM
The Founder of Taekwon-do
General Choi Hong Hi
1918 - 2002

It is with great sadness and a feeling of unprecedented personal loss, that I inform all Taekwon-Do practitioners worldwide of the death of my father General Choi Hong Hi, the Founder of Taekwon-Do, on the evening of Saturday the 15th June in the city of Pyong Yang in North Korea.

There are no words of comfort to members of our extended Taekwon-Do family worldwide, which will placate the feelings of utter desolation that his passing has produced.

While we mourn the death of a man whose life spanned two centuries, let us not forget the legacy, nor the indelible impression that he has left in the lives of all who are dedicated to the essence of the beloved art of his invention.

At this time of bereavement, I know my father would commend us all if we continued, with the same vigour and zest which personified his life, the promotion of Taekwon-Do worldwide.

Master Choi Jung Hwa

http://www.itf-admin.com/

Saw this over at E-Budo.com

rubthebuddha
06-18-2002, 12:37 AM
:(

Nevermind
06-18-2002, 07:08 AM
I spent about 3 years in ITF Tae Kwon Do and always marveled at the stories I read about General Choi. My old instructor actually knew him personally and was urged by him to move to America to spread TKD over 30 years ago. The man devoted his entire life to TKD and even continued to practice diligently in his final years. To me he was an inspiration. He always seemed to be in perfect health which is why I am so stunned right now. The martial arts world has lost a great individual.
Pil Sung.

dre_doggX
06-18-2002, 11:12 AM
:( sorry to hear this.

DelicateSound
06-18-2002, 12:11 PM

A man of true skill. Will be sorely missed.

guohuen
06-18-2002, 12:17 PM
It was a long run at least. "When an old person dies, it's like a library burning down."

Former castleva
06-18-2002, 01:07 PM
His time came.
Great thing he certainly left one´s track for the MA world.
So I guess he could have laughed,as he lived a significant life.
Peace,
:cool:

MonkeySlap Too
06-18-2002, 01:55 PM
Sad to see him die, but what was he doing in Pyongyang?

Black Jack
06-18-2002, 02:36 PM
A shame.

Incase nowbody posted this already we lost another Grandmaster this year.

This one a real deal warrior, ww2 combat veteran and legendary pioneer of Filipino martial arts in America.

Grandmaster Leo Giron head of the Giron Escrima Arnis System, he was awarded the Bronze Star for Meritous Achievement during his time in the Pacific Theater which was 8/44 to 6/45.

He served in commando operations under General Douglas MacArthur as a Sergeant in the Allied Intelligence Bureau in Lozun. During ww2 he had many close combat encounters with armed japenese soldiers carrying bayonets and samuri swords, they all lost to him and his trusty bolo, the real deal.

A tribute to this great martial artist can be found at this site.

http://inosanto.com/martialarts/bios/giron/girontribute.htm

guohuen
06-18-2002, 05:39 PM
Missed that one. Thanks Black Jack.