PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar in Vancouver

whippinghand
06-15-2001, 07:28 AM
Does anyone know where I can learn good Hung Gar in Vancouver, Canada?

Fire Horse
06-15-2001, 11:10 AM
I reprinted this list from the previous posts about Vancouver clubs and added one or two more. Good luck! No shortage of clubs in Vancouver

1. Liang Shouyu Wushu Club @ Buddhist Temple in Japan Town

2. Raymond Cheung's Shaolin Hung Gar KF @ Kensington & Riley Park Centers

3. Shung Ying KF Club & Renfrew Center

4. Mathew Wing Choi Lay Fut KF @ Strathcona Center

5. Victor Fu's Internal KF @ 58th & Victoria

6. Kin Fung Athletic Group @ Rupert & 1st

7. Fred Kwok's Wing Chun KF @ Commercial & Hastings

8. West Coast Chinese Martial Arts @ False Creek Center & Fitness Quest

9. Ritchie Chow Dragon Style KF @ Kerrisdale Center

10. Hon Hsing Athletic Club in CHinatown

11. Yue Shan / Tibet Lama in Chinatown

12. Wong Ha Club @ Jackson & Cordova

13. George Young My Jong KF @ Strathcona Center

14. Philip Poon’s My Jong Law Horn KF @ West Richmond Recreation Centre, Richmond

15. Richmond Kung Fu Club, Richmond, BC

16. Queen Elizabeth Park Sunday mornings abounds with external & internal teachers by the dozen

17. Jack Wong's Traditional Kung Fu Training Centre (Surrey, BC) (Hung Gar & Taiji Mantis)

Wong Ha Club (now known as Choi Lee Fut Federation of Canada) is @ 306 Jackson St. Not the nicest area of town and is not nearly as well attended as it was 20 yrs ago. You better be able to speak Cantonese.

Mathew Wing is @ Strathcona Community Center on Keefer & Jackson (near Chinatown). A student of Wong Ha & Peter Wong (senior student of Wong Ha & teacher @ Hon Hsing Society).

Shouyu Liang is @ Japanese Buddhist Temple on corner of Powell & Jackson (enter by the alley way). Best to go there on Friday evenings or late afternoons Saturday & Sunday.

7 Star Mantis Jon Funk Tues, Thurs & Sat @ West End Community Center.

iron_silk
06-15-2001, 11:10 AM
But unfortunately I don't know all of them. I do know of Ken Low, he teaches on Fraser Street, he is very famous and skillful, yet also expensive (in my opinion). If you can't find him in the Yellow pages, then leave me a message and I will get it for you.

I also know of my friend who's brother instruct in Hung, but i will have to wait to get some more info.

Do you already practice?

Tekarius
06-15-2001, 11:12 AM
Yup I know Sifu Raymond Cheung teaches Hung gar in Vancouver. His adress is 5175 Dumfries St. (604 718-6200) Also Sifu Stephen Chang teaches Hung Gar.

Yes Sifu Ken Low teaches Hung Gar, actually I used to study under him. He used to teach in Fraser Street but now he moved to the Jewish Community Centre. As to price, Sifu Ken Low charges 80$ for twice a week. He also teaches Wushu and Northern Shaolin kung fu.

[This message was edited by Tekarius on 06-16-01 at 02:18 AM.]

iron_silk
06-15-2001, 11:28 AM
thanks for the update, I would've hated to give the guy wrong info!

Tekarius
06-15-2001, 11:30 AM
hehehe,np dude

WuMan
06-16-2001, 05:59 PM
Does Ken Low also teach My Jong Lohan?

iron_silk
06-17-2001, 12:42 AM
yes he does!

Tekarius
06-17-2001, 12:45 AM
Yes Ken Low teaches my jong law horn kuen. There are five major forms: 1)Tan tui
2)Cheung Kuen(long fist)
3)Jeet Kuen(sectional fist)
4)Han Kuen(walking fist)
5)Peaceful fist

whippinghand
06-17-2001, 03:18 AM
I checked out a few of the schools on the list, including Ken Low, and Raymond Cheung. The one I was most impressed with, which was not on the list, was Western Martial Hall, on West Broadway. The sifu there was by far the most proficient. This guy knows power, and understands his Hung Gar.

iron_silk
06-17-2001, 05:30 AM
really? perhaps it is worth a look, to see if this master is as impressive as you have mentioned. very interesting indeed

diego
06-17-2001, 06:46 AM
11. Yue Shan / Tibet Lama in Chinatown

im going to look in the yellow pages in ten.......