PDA

View Full Version : Shaui Chiao, a long shot!

Cipher
06-18-2002, 12:13 PM
Okay, I know this will be a hard question to answer but, does anyone know of a place that teaches Shaui Chiao in the Louisville KY area? I've tried my darndest to find something on the net but you guys always seem to know were things are located. I would like to learn some grapling to SUPLEMENT my Wing Chun training and before I think about turning to the darkside BJJ (Joke) I would like to look for a Chinese grapling class.

Here is another horrible question, if there is nothing were I live what is everyones view on using a Video tape to learn? I have always learned hands on in a class or personal instruction do I don't know what to think of a video tape, of course I would not learn the bulk of my training from a tape but just in certain areas. Oh-well, any help would be great.

SevenStar
06-18-2002, 12:56 PM
sell out. step to the darkside. seriously. The BJJ class may also have good Judo players that teach (mine does) then you learn both throwing and ground grappling. judo and shuai chiao are extremely similar.

If you can't find a SC school and absolutley don't wanna go to the bjj school, try to find a good taiji school.

Cipher
06-18-2002, 01:12 PM
Ha ha, I don't mind BJJ, i think it is neat too, not as much Kung Fu of course, but I think it is good to be well rounded in all areas. I have been reading some of the Shaui Chiao material and have been interested in it anyways so I thought I would try and find a school around here if I can.

Former castleva
06-18-2002, 01:21 PM
Donīt go to BJJ,it really sucks big time (;) ):p oops,my mask slides,to reveal my darkside..;)

If you canīt find a Shuai Chia kwoon,and still find the art interesting,a tape (books etc.) could come to play.I probably donīt even have to say that...you knew it already? OK,it was previously said.
You would still get the idea of what it looks like,is about,maybe what it feels like (sorry,no falling on your head included ;) )
If you would actually train,tapes could give "fill" your training a bit more,clear things up (so when&if you enter training someday,excessive instruction could come in handy)
Thatīs this about help-
itīs 40$
;)

Water Dragon
06-18-2002, 01:40 PM
The closest Shuai Chiao school to you is in Columbus, OH at the University there.

We hold seminars a few times a year here in Chicago. They could work provided you find a good Judo school or can find some good "throw dummies" to play with. I recommend the BJJ guys for throw dummies.

greendragon
06-18-2002, 02:23 PM
it is rare to find it presented separately from a system. try some shaolin schools like hung gar or whatever is in your area and ask if they will teach it. or traveling to a weekend seminar will give you something to train on.

Water Dragon
06-18-2002, 05:34 PM
Cipher, you are of course welcome to join the Shuai Chiao mailing list.

SevenStar
06-18-2002, 10:26 PM
There's that d amn plug again :)

Cipher
06-19-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
Cipher, you are of course welcome to join the Shuai Chiao mailing list.

That sounds cool. How do I sign up?

Water Dragon
06-19-2002, 09:06 AM
All I need is an e-mail address. You can post it here or send me a private message.