PDA

View Full Version : Hey Fire Horse!

iron_silk
06-15-2001, 11:19 AM
You seem to know a lot about the kung fu activities around Vancouver, so I was wondering what is your back ground?

Just curious!

Fire Horse
03-10-2002, 10:30 AM
Hello,

Sorry it's taken me a while to repond. I haven't visited the site in a while and just saw the post. I live in the Vancouver area.

I am actually a beginner in Kung Fu. I have been a serious student for about a year. Before I began, I searched forums like this one to see what was available in the Vanccouver area as well as aking friends.

Also I made a point after I started to attend tournaments and meet people. My Kung Fu brothers have been very good about inroducing me other students of other clubs. I started studying My Jong Long Horn (a northern style), but have been practising Praying Mantis for the last 9 monhs and loving it.

Cheers

iron_silk
03-11-2002, 06:26 PM
This was message was so long ago that they don't even have a date for when it was originally sent.

So where do you study Praying Mantis?

Fire Horse
03-12-2002, 10:15 PM
Yeah, it's been a long time.

I'll e-mail you, if you want to ask me more questions

cheers

Fire Horse

Fire Horse
03-12-2002, 10:24 PM
Hi Iron Silk,

I can't seem to send you a message. Could you send me a message via my profile with an e-mail, and I'll reply back

Thanks

firepalm
03-13-2002, 02:19 AM
Come on Iron & Silk Fire Horse has to be with Jack Wong @ Surrey's Traditional Kung Fu Training Center as he is the only Tai Chi Praying Mantis teacher in the greater Vancouver area. His My Jong studies were most likely with Phil Poon, George Young or perhaps Chris Taylor.

iron_silk
03-13-2002, 02:46 AM
I replied as a nother new post by accident...guess still haven't gotten use to the new buttons and stuff...sorry guys!

please check another long time no see!

iron_silk
03-13-2002, 02:52 AM
I can't seem to be able to access your email...something about the user request not to be released in this bulletin.

sorry man!

Fire Palm

don't see you online much at all...and Firehorse could be studying Seven Star right?

Fire Horse
03-13-2002, 03:19 PM
Firepalm is correct, I originally studied MJLH under Phil Poon (though I've met George and Chris) and study TJPM under Jack Wong. By the way, both are excellent instructors.

What is your background?

iron_silk
03-13-2002, 06:27 PM
I am a beginner in kung fu.

Although I only got interested in kungfu when I was like 15, I was first exposed to it when I was 5 years old. I learned Choy Lay Fut from Wong Ha. Though I forgot got a lot of it, I still try to practice what little I remember now. Between 9-15yrs old I lost interesting kung fu totally.

At 15 I tried some wushu with Sino Chinese Martial Arts, I don't know how to write the instructors name but I know some people call him by an English name Benson. Although the place really help my fittness level (I still really fat) but I got some experience and realize the way he taught wasn't really for me. Also although there were some good students, some were questionable...I'm not going into that!

So I started searching for other instructors. I had every intention of going back to Choy Lay Fut but a couple of years ago I left due and I fear returning, due to my seemingly lack of committment. But I tried a class with Bruce Fontaine and found his approach to wushu instruction fascinating. Although I prefer tradional over modern I think his modern method of basic training would benefit me greater in the long term.

Wow my life story in kung fu...people say I talk a lot...hope this isn't too much for you?

iron_silk