PDA

View Full Version : Panther Fist

iron_silk
06-16-2001, 02:17 AM
I was wondering how exactly panter fist makes contact? (like with which fingers)

Ben Gash
06-16-2001, 07:49 AM
With all the fingers, impacting with the bent knuckles. Doesn't look powerful, but trust me it REALLY hurts!

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
the wise use them only when they have no choice"
Lao Tzu

iron_silk
06-16-2001, 10:58 AM
I try that on a punching bag, but it hurts too much to use though...how do you train for such use?

Ego_Extrodinaire
06-16-2001, 12:06 PM
Iron-silk,

Just imagine how you feel if in a fight you hit a bony pary of someone. Don't you think you're panther fist would be crippled. I think you'll be meowing like an injured cat. What you think Ben Gash?

Maximus Materialize!

Joker
06-16-2001, 02:03 PM
try using a sand bag to start and as you progress move on to a heavier bag.

dont forget to use some dit da afterwards.

you could also try pushups using leapord fist but you will need extremely strong wrists.

it wont happen overnight but if you put the work in you can be assured it will happen!

dont rush it

Ben Gash
06-16-2001, 03:50 PM
Try tensing forwards into the knuckles (this is also true for finger strikes). As has already been said, use a sandbag.
I've been hit by leopard fists in the head and ribs a fair few times, and the other guy hasn't maimed himself ( I've had some killer bruises though).

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
the wise use them only when they have no choice"
Lao Tzu

alecM
06-16-2001, 04:00 PM
As Ben Gash said with all the fingers, impacting with the bent knuckles. Doesn't look powerful, but trust me it Really hurts! And one of the best methods we use at our school to teach beginners to strike with a panther fist is to start with the fist just about six to eight inches away from the bag (we use a bag with a flat surface) then gradually over a period of time the distance is increased to the full striking distance. After training this way, you have a good strong panther fist for hitting hard.

Saying is not boasting at all. These views and words are mine, and do not represent my Sifu or school.

bean curd
06-18-2001, 10:42 AM
don't tell me you know about CLF. hang on, you don't know ****e about anything, so obviously you are lost with this conversation.

hey i know there's a site you might be interested in its www.moron.com (http://www.moron.com), one of your mates "dipstick" told me to tell you about it

iron_silk
06-18-2001, 11:09 AM
Thanks for all those that helped explain to be the processes involved in training the panther fist. When I learn CLF my master tend not to focus on training on hitting impact and stuff.

I am better in knowing the possiblities involved in panther fist.

Crimson Phoenix
06-18-2001, 11:55 AM
If i might add my two cents....the panther fist doesn't have only one usage: you can use the palm to strike (it's very powerful), use the back of the hand to slap (that makes a frightening noise on the heavy bag) in a kind of backfist fashion.
In white crane when you throw a linear, whipping strike with the outter blade of the hand you can also clench your fingers in a panther fist if you think you might injure your fingers...
But of course you can still use the regular panther fist strike with the bent knuckles...it requires a little bit of conditionning though, and also you won't strike any target this way: you'll focus on softer targets like the neck, the kidneys (front or back), the armpit etc...
you don''t necessarily have to drill the punch in, you can also just shock a region like the temples or the eyes.
Phoenix eye fist is widely used in southern martial arts and it's all about striking with only one bent knuckle...so I don't see why the panther fist with four knuckles striking wouldd be necessarily more impractical or dangerous.
You know, little kids can choke themselves with plastic bags, adults seldom...in the same way, it's not because you can't eat with chopsticks that it's not as good as a fork...what I'm trying to say here is that it's all about knowing how to use things...panther fist is the same, it's not practical if you haven't learned how to use it properly...
Just my two euros heheheheh

Phoenix

Fu-Pow
06-18-2001, 07:51 PM
Phoenix has got a good point. There are certain soft points on the body that you would hit with a leopard fist. As they say "hard hits soft and soft hits hard" (ie use palm strikes on the hard surfaces like the head, use hard strikes like leopards on the soft spots) The soft spots include but are not limited to the throat, floating ribs, sinuses, temple, pressure points behind the jaw bone, solar plexus, armpit, side of the knee and the eye. If you do your leopards correctly they will automatically collapse into a fist if you hit something to hard. The biggest mistake begginers make is bending there fingers back too far. Then if you hit something too hard for you they bend back and it is really painful. Angle your fingers slightly "down" from the plane of the top of your hand. That way your fist will "collapse" is necessary....

Peace :D

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/logo.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee