PDA

View Full Version : Offense or Defense

ewallace
06-19-2002, 08:57 AM
In many sports it is said that defense wins championships. Although fighting is not always a sport, I am curious as to how many folks here fight from a primarily defensive mindset.

fa_jing
06-19-2002, 09:04 AM
Your not going to win without offense. Ideally, I like to initiate with one defensive move, then come in with the offense. Reality sometimes differs.

-FJ

ewallace
06-19-2002, 09:05 AM
Right. I was meaning more along the lines of using defense to set up offense, rather than just going on the offensive at the onset of the confrontation.

Black Jack
06-19-2002, 09:22 AM
Offensive-it gives you a proactive advantage-it gives you some measure of control before any chaos, allowing you to set the starting pace, be that pace to be pre-emptive or just to leave dodge or find a way to de-esclate the situation through verbal judo.

Defensive should be involved before handwith your awareness.

It depends on the situation though on how hard you go in, like is it your lovely but drunk aunt bee trying smash your nose in with her high heel at the family Christmas party ofr not kssing her under the mistletoe or is it some unkown construction worker hooked on meth trying to brain you with his claw hammer becuase he see's ants crawling out of your eyes.

CanadianBadAss
06-19-2002, 09:49 AM
huh? Why make a distinction, they're the same thing, you're attack is your defence and defence is your attack. I supose if u studied Ving Tsun this would make more sence, because we use the same movment to attack and deffend at the same time.

Black Jack
06-19-2002, 09:53 AM
Canadian,

I understand that thinking, but what I believe the poster was in reference to, and I could be wrong was should you "wait" for an attack or be "pre-emptive" and go on the attack.

To say they are both the same is just mixing terms and subtle shades of gray.

ewallace
06-19-2002, 10:04 AM
Black Jack has the correct interpretation of what I was asking.

KC Elbows
06-19-2002, 10:14 AM
I guess I would make on offensive defense, make a few assaults that were not all out assaults, but more seeing the opponent's tendencies. Maybe bring things in close a couple times to see if they go for the clinch a lot, then back out, try long range to see what their skill was there, always maintaining a strong defense, then, when I had learned all I could about the opponent, move in for the kill using what I am best at against what the opponent is worst at(mind you, if they are skilled, their weakest area might be stronger than my strongest).

If I get the feeling the opponent is too skilled, run or shoot them in the eye.

Dark Knight
06-19-2002, 10:24 AM
Pre-emtive strike? "I knew you were going to hit me so I took you down before you moved"

I move first, I hate to get hit so Im going to try my best to be the fastest draw.

CanadianBadAss
06-19-2002, 10:32 AM
ohh... i see. If you know you're going to fight what would be the point of waiting? To wait for him to screw up and then take advantage?
From the little sparring experience i have from a local bjj club, any time i didn't move in and pressure them right away i eventually got taken down(this could just be because im ****y tho). The way i could handle them was to close the gap right away pressure them from the start. Thier boxing was weak, and because I was already in contact and right in on them, they didnt really have room to do that leg shooting in thing, so the would just drop down and try to grap the legs, but since i was in contact i could feel the second they started to do it, an i could just go into a sprawl. But after a while they cought on and started faking to drop and i would go into a sprawl and they would start kneeing my in the face...
But over all the waiting approuch didn't really work for me. If waited I ended up playing their game and falling for their traps, f|_|ck what they do, do what you train and make them play by your rules.(unless your game is to wait, in which case im confused).

I'm not sure if what i just said has any thing to do with topic any more, i cant even remember the topic was, i think it's just that i like to brag about sparring with BJJ people. Because maybe deep down i want people like rolls to except me, and say they love me, i love u rolls.

shaolinboxer
06-19-2002, 12:41 PM
Move second, arrive first.

Former castleva
06-20-2002, 03:19 AM
Defense:First try to see how far they are about to go,possibly first test you out a bit.Keep your personal space so they canīt surprise you (donīt let them get close) If they start moving offensively closer to you and showing dangerous signs,Iīd take it seriously and maybe as a physical threat.
This could be the time to take them out.I would consider defense as a "patient" way to stop the conflict.You have to know when itīs it "right",needed and justice to act.If attacks like strikes are already thrown by opponent,there is very little doubt about future.
Advantages:Possible advantages of not closing in immediately would be-countering:1.Once an opponent attacks you he passes some of his safety to you.As an example.if he throws a right cross,he exposes some of his target areas,also giving the change to apply controlling techniques (if still possible to demonstrate what he commits),breaks or throwing by manipulating his arm.
2.Moral and possibly legal advantages:You already know where conflict began from.You did your best to stop it with loving ways,you also have no change to escape.
Opponent has been showing extremely dangerous signs of threat,by them,I mean more or less direct attacks,robbing of personal space and safety,attempt to commit bodily harm.

Offense:Dangerous signs of word and body.
Direct physical attacks (fighting moves) have not been thrown.
Possible ripping of personal space.
Seriously threatening talk.Again,hard to escape from situation.
Try to find out what they are after (try to see if they are really after you),if you can help them some way,help them.They might be in a situation as desperate as you.
If nothing else helps,and they keep applying pressure,attack.
Disadvantages of spontaneous attack:
Just like your opponent in previous mode,you are exposing something of your structure,making your balance and root degenerate,to a point.
Advantages:
Gift of surprise might be on your side.
Donīt have to worry about countering,yet.
This is also supported by philosophy:
-Your life is in danger,why should you wait?
-You rather break than become broken
-You did what you could to prevent

The end:
Both of the paths do have something in them from each other.
Each situation is different,what happens may vary.
As many of us learned,plain insults and verbal attacks donīt count (they will only unbalance those with "sensitive" punches and those low on self-confidence)
Shaking the fist trough the air from a distance is not the same as punching with the fist from close-range.
Both of these methods are defensive in nature,only slightly different application.

guohuen
06-20-2002, 09:45 AM
For me deffinately offensive unless I'm baiting my opponent.