PDA

View Full Version : What is Lee Shing's Shaolin Wing Chun?

loaddown
06-19-2002, 12:03 PM
Dear Readers,
I’ve learnt a style of Wing Chun that belonged to the Lee Shing lineage. I am in fact a very distant junior disciple of Lee Shing many generations removed.

However it now appears Lee Shing had learnt a couple of different styles of Wing Chun. For instance from many literatures, I learned Joseph Lee Sifu is a distant senior. Now I learned Lee Shing had learnt and had past down Pien San as derived from GuLo. Joseph Lee Sifu appeared to be strongly influenced by the GuLo Pien San style. Austin Goh is another distant senior and he too appeared to have strong ‘side body’ or Pien San flavour.

The style I have inherited is more ‘straight body’? than ‘side body’ and is derived from Ip Man and ‘Shaolin’ Wing Chun. Ip Man of cause is famous, and generally, I know the history of this style as well as the next wing chun enthusiast. The Shaolin Wing Chun part though is a bit of a mystery to me. Can anyone tell me more about this style? I don’t think it has much to do with Vietnamese ‘Shaolin’ Wing Chun or ‘shaolin’ Wing Chun of the Malaysian Cho family.

Any help and information on Lee Shing’s Shaolin Wing Chun is much appreciated.

Wai-Sing Fung

reneritchie
06-19-2002, 01:18 PM
Lee Shing sifu learned Gulao (Koo Lo) Wing Chun in China (I think from one of the Fung's, maybe Fung Sang), then Yip Man WCK in HK. His students seem to have varying combinations of these two approaches (usually the basic Yip Man system plus the Gulao system grouped into a Dai Nim Tao set), and some have put together other sets as well.

Rgds,

RR

dbulmer
06-20-2002, 06:36 AM
Rene,
In practical WC terms what does this mean? What differentiates it from Yip Man WC?

best wishes
Dave B

reneritchie
06-20-2002, 06:41 AM
Hi,

Well, there's a lot of difference within Yip Man WCK from teacher to teacher already. That aside, the biggest difference would be the inclusion of the Gulao material in the "Dai Nim Tao" set, which while the same core material, is organized differently and usually favors the Pien San (Side Body or 'flanking') tactics in application.

Rgds,

RR