View Full Version : Wu Song Kao

r.(shaolin)
06-19-2002, 04:12 PM
Hi Buddhapalm

Some time ago you

buddhapalm
06-20-2002, 01:16 AM
Hi r.,
Yes I did ask. But I ask so many questions, I forget what I am asking sometimes :-))

In my curriculum I have a Northern form called in English "Wu Song Breaks Manacles". I have the quanpo/chart in Chinese.

The form begins with hands together as if chained, then performing some double handed punches and blocks, followed by snapping the imaginary chains on the right thigh (Golden Rooster Stance), then the rest of the set is without chains. It is a nice set.

I wonder if it is related to your lineages. I was not sure if this was Lohan, Mizong, Fanzi Quan or from some other unidentified school. My Grandmaster would have learned this in Canton between 1915 and 1950 sometime.

Thanks for your posting. Any information regarding your systems version would be most interesting.

Do you know any details on the history of this form ?

Thanks again.

Buddhapalm

Richie
06-20-2002, 01:53 AM
My sigung and sifu knows that form. I wonder if it is the same.:D

r.(shaolin)
06-20-2002, 07:10 AM
Well its sounds like a very similar

buddhapalm
06-20-2002, 11:14 AM
Dear Ritchie,
I saw some pictures of Tai Sing Pek Kwar's form in the last edition of this Kung Fu Magazine. It only showed some pictures, but looked different. If I see the video I will know for sure. Greetings.

Dear r.,
The beginning sounds very similar. Opening, chained double front punch in stomping cat stance, left chained high left block in left horse, right chained high block in right horse, chained 360 degree block in front and jump into left horse and double punch, snap chains as you described, fall back into hero's stance, step forward with uppercut.....

Also quite a few wide single hammerfist type moves later.

This set seems to contain lots of hidden qin na. It has a section with a left punch and right front kick simultaneously done then right punch and right back kick simultaneously done.....also lots of jumps changing direction landing in low hero stances (seems like leaping arm bar type qin na).

I was wondering if it sounds the same at all.

May I ask about the emminent monk Shan Yun ?

Also does your lineage/research have any information on a Monk Yuan Tong/ Yuan Tung T'an ? He was the Lohan Sifu of Sun Yu Feng (Master Ma's Sifu). He would have lived in the late 1800's, early 1900's I believe.

This is interesting.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

r.(shaolin)
06-20-2002, 05:15 PM
Do you know if Shifu Ma's l

buddhapalm
06-20-2002, 07:33 PM
Dear r.,
According to Shifu Ma's Son and disciple they have not heard of a
Wu Song Kao. I do not think they know a Wu Song Dao either, but I have to check on this one.

NorthernShaolin may have some interesting perspective on this topic also. NS, have you heard of these forms within Master Ma's lineage ?

My Grandmaster studied with Master Ma before Master Ma's son or other disciple (I talked with) were born, he studied somewhere between 1930's and 1950. It is "possible" that the form Wu Song Kao was passed down during that time from Master Ma to my grandmaster. It is also possible that my grandmaster Dea Bak Do learned the form from someone else, I am still trying to figure it out.

Since your Lohan system has it and since Master Ma learned Lohan Men from Sun Yu Feng, I thought that it may be a Lohan set too....if my set even came from Master Ma.

You mention Shanyun learned from Jeishi. Do you know which system this master practiced ? Could it have been Mizong Quan/Yan Ching Quan ?

A little off topic, do you know anything of the Shaolin lineage of the two handed dao (Miao Dao). There is supposed to be a Monk Chengs two handed Saber form which is documented by manual somewhere.

Lastly, did my description of Wu Song Kao sound like yours ?

Thanks

Buddhapalm

r.(shaolin)
06-21-2002, 07:04 AM
Hi Buddhapalm,

In the form we do, there is a number of

northstar
06-23-2002, 09:42 AM
I think I heard about a version of this form where you pick up a dao after breaking the manacles. Is there such a combined fist-dao form?

GeneChing
06-24-2002, 12:40 PM
You all know that Wu Song Tuo Kao is our cover story of our issue on stands now (Jul/Aug 2002.) The issue has an Outlaws of the Marsh theme. Check it out http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/mag.html

NorthernShaolin
06-25-2002, 10:08 PM
Buddhapalm,

Sorry but the answer to your question is: no, I do not have any knowledge as such.

stimulant
02-23-2004, 02:40 PM
It should be called 'Wu Song Tuo Kao'

its part of the mizong lineage oringinally I believe.

It should include a roll with no hands over right shoulder, several jumpkicks, and lots of low stances. all in all a real leg killer.

GeneChing
02-23-2004, 05:20 PM
...to the wu song tuo kao cover story (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=234).

anishthayil
01-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Here is a list of Wu Song breaks manacle (武松脱拷 Wǔsōng tuō kǎo) forms for reference

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFlez5XeYh4MsO0CS1clTZaZ4yW7ttxzJ