PDA

View Full Version : JKD Mental Training

SSgungfu
06-20-2002, 10:21 AM
There are no specific exercises as far as meditation and chikung in Jeet Kune Do. Chikung is not a traditional form of practice (it is, and it isn't.) Chikung works with the basis of Chinese medicine, which Bruce studied and acknowledged in his writings. But this post is not about chinese medicine...

I practice meditation and chikung exercises everyday, along with my other training aspects. To neglect the mental part of training could be seen as distilling what is not useful in the system.

However, when studying JKD your aim is to realize the truth for yourself, and to become an all-around trained fighter. Not only in your kicks and grappling etc, but in your mind as well. Using the Eightfold path (its just a name, you may call it something else) you identify a weakness, train that weakness into becoming a strongpoint.

Your mind will be trained when you train physically, promoting discipline, focus, and stregnth of character. I have also added Taichi to my practice to understand body mechanics and also as a meditative discipline

You could say that Taichi goes against what JKD believes in, because I'm adhereing to a style or a form. But I see it as MY TRUTH, my JKD. To criticize anyone for what they do in their practice is to go against the philosophy in JKD in the first place - there is no right or wrong, there just is. My truth, and your truth.

Well in liu of what I've said above, I'm curious as to what all of you practice in the mental department. Breathing exercises, meditation, yoga, taichi, chikung, zhauzhang, or just reading the tao of jkd? I've seen alot of threads on here lately that lack solid replies. Hopefully we can get some more thoughtful topics, and show the rest of the board members that JKD isn't composed of a bunch of thoughtless jocks that hit the gym everyday and make fun of classical artists while they do it. hahaha.

"The perfect way is only difficult for those who pick and choose. Do not like, do not dislike; all will then be clear. Make a hairbreadth difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease." Bruce Lee

SSgungfu
06-22-2002, 08:24 PM
not all at once...

jmdrake
06-27-2002, 11:10 AM
Hello SSgungfu,

I think that tai chi is very compatible with JKD. After all Bruce Lee learned tai chi from his father even before learning wing chun. One of Bruce Lee's students Daniel Lee, who is a tai chi master, has written articles about tai chi principles that can be seen in JKD. And don't forget that there is a strong "chi" aspect of wing chun that people often don't think about. There is a good article at this site entitled "Putting the Chi Back In Chi Sao".

http://www.wingchunkungfu.com/index.html

Also don't be discourged that there isn't much response to this thread. Often the thought provoking threads are short. It's so much easier to talk about who's badmouthing who or who certified who how ect. Here is a forum that often talked of the mental aspects of JKD.

http://www.chihand.com

Regards,

John M. Drake

SSgungfu
07-02-2002, 05:59 PM
Thank you very much for your post. :) I will check out that site.
Hope to talk to you again.