PDA

View Full Version : Left forwards.

Tvebak
06-20-2002, 01:13 PM
I just spoke to my uncle who was a boxer in his youth, and he told me that the reason that boxers usually have their left side forwards is because of the way the internal organs is situated in the body, í have heard the same from Xingyi people.
Anyone of you know if this is true?

apoweyn
06-20-2002, 01:17 PM
Um, I'm no physiologist (and I may be about to prove that in spades), but aren't we pretty close to symmetrical?

The conventional explanation for the left-side lead is to keep the power hand in the back where it can generate even more power. Since most people are right handed, most boxers are left lead.

Stuart B.

Shooter
06-20-2002, 01:42 PM
Well, Apoweyn, you might wanna consider how much less coverage the rib-cage offers the liver on the right than on the left.

Kristoffer
06-20-2002, 02:27 PM
Never heard of it.. Sounds interesting

Xebsball
06-20-2002, 02:42 PM
I had not heard that theory, but im just a begginer.

I put my left in front cos im a lefty in legs and righty in hands.
So this way i am keeping my best balance and can kick with my front leg.

Shooter
06-20-2002, 02:55 PM
Kristoffer, the liver's left lobe is much smaller than the right and the dividing line between right and left lobes falls in line with the sternum. The right lobe is positioned lower in the troso cavity, making it more vulnerable to strikes.

If you place the middle finger-tip of your right hand on the tip of your sternum and let your hand lay horizontal on your abdomen, the area that your hand covers is roughly the spot where liver-shots are most likely to put an opponent down. If the opponent goes backward or to the side as they're struck, they're usually ok. If they drop or lean forward as the strike lands or immediately after it lands, they'll be out of comission for a few minutes.

Tvebak
06-20-2002, 08:04 PM
I dont think that the liver thing is the only reason that people fight with the left forwards...but it may be part of the reason, and a reason that people maybe have forgotten in some places, i spoke to one of my friends who is a pro boxer, and he never heard of it...
Actually he said that the only reason he fight with the left forwards is because hes teacher told him to...no explanation.

Budokan
06-20-2002, 08:57 PM
Jeez. How some people over analyze things.

Right-handed boxers lead with the left so their power hand is in back. Vice versa for southpaws.

Life can sometimes be so simple.

Shooter
06-20-2002, 09:25 PM
...the original question asked whether the position of the organs has anything to do with the idea of leading left...

Protecting the liver may be incidental to the purpose, budokan. But it was something one of my old boxing coaches pointed out to me as well.

IronFist
06-20-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Tvebak
I just spoke to my uncle who was a boxer in his youth, and he told me that the reason that boxers usually have their left side forwards is because of the way the internal organs is situated in the body, í have heard the same from Xingyi people.
Anyone of you know if this is true?

I've never thought of that before. Very interesting!

IronFist

Former castleva
06-21-2002, 02:51 AM
That liver thing sounds reasonable.

scotty1
06-21-2002, 02:59 AM
The liver thing does sound reasonable.

But it seems like too much of a coincidence to me that best positioning for the liver also coincides with best position for right handed people.

apoweyn
06-21-2002, 07:09 AM
Shooter,

I wasn't aware of that. Cheers. I think I'll remain a right leader, all the same. But that's very interesting.

Stuart B.

IronFist
06-21-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by scotty1
The liver thing does sound reasonable.

But it seems like too much of a coincidence to me that best positioning for the liver also coincides with best position for right handed people.

How? I mean, there was a 50% chance of this being the case :D

IronFist

SevenStar
06-21-2002, 11:05 AM
Interesting....This is something khun kao should probably comment on. I haven't heard that one either, but I have heard that the plum when done correctly creates presure on some meridian that corresponds to the bladder, and the knee strikes are directed at the bladder, which causes serious damage in an opponent. I dunno how true it is, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Shooter
06-21-2002, 12:40 PM
This is something khun kao should probably comment on. I haven't heard that one either, but I have heard that the plum when done correctly creates presure on some meridian that corresponds to the bladder, and the knee strikes are directed at the bladder, which causes serious damage in an opponent. I dunno how true it is, but it's interesting nonetheless.

:rolleyes: Typical. No disrespect intended toward Khun Kao, but why does everyone here insist on being spoon-fed by people whom they deem to be an authority?

So few of us seize our own authority or train with the purpose of being self-determining. Folks who assert their own authority are laughed at or put on the "ignore list" by those too faint-of-heart to find their own truth or look deeper than the view offered them by others...rather than seize it for themselves.

This isn't about liver-shots (even though it's basic ring-fighting knowledge). It's about what plagues CMAs and how its players believe that the cross-training hype will supply the cure.

Read Fu-Pow's "style vs style" thread... It points to all the diversions and limitations people impose upon themselves and their martial art. Rather than shed some blood and real sweat, they'd rather "ignore" the truth and remain a prisoner of their of own fear.

Shuai Chiao has everything in it already. As does Tai Chi, Hsing-I, Bagua, Shoalin,... I'm not talking about purism either...

Find Chris Mckinley or Scott Sonnon if you don't have the keys to unlock your own potential and that of your martial art. These guys are non-territorial and aren't style-specific in what they offer.

I'm done here...Best of luck to you all in your training...

Black Jack
06-21-2002, 02:50 PM
Shooter,

Just for the record I thought your second paragraph was excellent. It sums up my feelings on training in a nutshell.

Peace and I hope you stick around.

SevenStar
06-21-2002, 03:27 PM
wtf are you talking about? I'm asking for an oppinion, not deeming anyone an authority. It's got nothing to do with being too faint of heart to do anything, especially when it comes to an art that I trained in. however, I don't know everyhing there is to know about MT and am interested in the oppinion of another whom I know of that trains MT. I'll grant that that was a good post, but direct it to the proper place, as it was irrelevant to what I said.