PDA

View Full Version : Does Eagle Claw,Wing Chun and Hung Gar each have moves that are common to all?

FullCircle
06-20-2002, 02:44 PM
I am interested to know if anyone in the MA community has noticed a certain overlap of common moves that are familiar between these three styles?

GLW
06-20-2002, 03:43 PM
Of course....

No_Know
06-20-2002, 04:56 PM
No.

HuangKaiVun
06-20-2002, 06:46 PM
Two individuals learning from the same teacher the same style will come out VERY DIFFERENT in their applications.

Similarities exist only as far as people wish to utilize them.

Gabriel
06-20-2002, 07:09 PM
No know, glw, duke it out! Why and why not? :D

GLW
06-20-2002, 07:16 PM
a punch is a punch. The goal of all chinese Martial Arts is to develop where the body moves naturally - reacts at the right time, does so in a fluid manner that is consistent with what happened before and flows into what is happening now.

All have blocking, punching, kicking. There are only so many ways to grab, to form a fist, to chamber....

How you apply the techniques may differ...but that is not what you asked... Pai Shou - Pak Sao - Mandarin Cantonese...most styles have that move. WHEN you apply it may differ..some do it closer some ****her awy from the body. In most applications, the aim is the same.

Li quan - Sun Kuen - vertical fist punch. In one system you may turn the waist while in another you keep the shoulders and wais square...but when you apply the technique...if you get where you are going without a waist turn...you don't turn. If you need the extra few inches to do damage...you turn and extend...if you are fluid.

The core ideas are called Jiben Gong...basics. There are certain basics that are the same for ALL martial arts. Certain others that are the same for ALL CHINESE martial arts. Certain others that are the same for ALL NORTHERN CHINESE martial arts...it is a pyramid. But at the base, you have some common techniques and ideas.

You did NOT ask what percent was the same or where they diverged. You aksed if they had some in common. So..in a strict sense to your question...yes.

FullCircle
06-20-2002, 09:55 PM
Point taken. Let me rephrase. let's say that there was a WING chun block--I cant remember the name of it--it's the one where the person slaps the persons arm away after the attacker after the attacker punches. Can there be a situation where you can combine the slap block with a Eagle Claw grappling move?

Leonidas
06-20-2002, 10:20 PM
Wing Chun and Hung Gar could be said to have some similarities but i dont think Eagle Claw would. The Eagle Claw that i saw had more similarities with Praying mantis if anything. I saw a move in Eagle Claw that looks identical to one in PM but i dont know how far this reaches. They both originate from Shaolin though

Wong Ying Home
06-21-2002, 02:16 AM
All Chinese martial arts could be said to share a similar skill, Chin'Na. Eagle Claw , Hung Gar and Wing Chun do possess such techniques.

Shaolin Eagle Claw is pre-dated by Yeuh Fei Eagle Claw