PDA

View Full Version : Ng lun ma

iron_silk
06-21-2001, 04:55 AM
Of the Choy Lay Fut practioners here, how long do you perform the Ng Lung Ma for?

so far the longest I have done is an hour, BUT my horse isn't very low at all...

what do anybody else think?

bryandavis
06-21-2001, 05:36 PM
It depends on what you're aiming for. If I want to do it for it's chi benefets then I have been able to push it out to 20-30 minutes. If you are training mobility then turn it into lively horse and go quickly without sacrficing ballance. One hour is a very long time, but I think if you are doing it slow your stances need to be deep as to gain the benefet of sinking your chi when you breath with the movments. Drop your stances and see that hour get cut by more than half.

What a great set to get the legs on fire.

peace
Bryan.

iron_silk
06-21-2001, 09:47 PM
you gave me some great insight, I think I will do just that. Unfortunately my master never really taught me anything related to chi and the horses.

could you tell me a little about it?

bryandavis
06-22-2001, 12:27 AM
I will try to break it down it steps.
After your hand opening (which has its own breathing involved but differt branches have different opening so that is hard to detail.)

When dropping into your say pind ma go slow and low and breath out with your abdomin..as your transitioning breath out..and as you rise up into ding ji ma wedge..breath out the same way.

Just continue that all the way through the set..when kicking breath out..when transintion into twist horse breath in and when you da bok with your elbows breath out.

After you do the set you will feel a lot more vigor and energy, for sure.

I hope that helps.

Chi gung is so misunderstood and even taught bad with all these warped ideas of what you have to do its really to bad. We are energizing our blood with more oxygen, that feeds the brain, the blood circulates through the muscles, that feeds your strength, and your breath when you sink low and focus on your dan tien, that give great power exertion when you strike or get struck.

hope that helped.

Are you in vancouver?

peace
bryan.

bryandavis
06-22-2001, 12:31 AM
When dropping into your say pind ma go slow and low and breath out with your abdomin..as your transitioning breath out..and as you rise up into ding ji ma wedge..breath out the same way.

i made a typing error. when you are transitioning breath in.

sorry.

iron_silk
06-22-2001, 09:39 AM
I will do my best to follow your instruction. I don't know what to say man, thanks again! :)

iron_silk
06-23-2001, 12:54 AM
Until I had read some articles regarding choy lay fut I had no idea that we yelled out certain sounds based on our techniques. Before I was only aware of styles such as Hung gar possessed them.

If it wouldn't be much of a trouble could you possibly enlighten me in regards to the sounds made? and whether the same sounds are applied to choy lay fut all around?

Once again thanks a million! :)

Fu-Pow
06-23-2001, 01:26 AM
Kicks= "Deet"
Sao Choy="Seet"
Chop Choy="Yeet" or "Zeet"
Gwa Choy, Biu Jong, Phon Jong or any other power moves, etc="Ha"
Fu Jao= "Wah"

All sounds should be made from the gut or as it is commonly referred to as the "lower dan tien."

I will make one comment. There is a larger repertoire of sounds in Hung Gar than Choy Lay Fut. That is because Hung Gar contains the internal "iron wire" set. In that form they supposedly "tune" the internal organs by making certain sounds.

Fu-Pow
http://makskungfu.com/images/R7star.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

iron_silk
06-24-2001, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure about whether Choy Lay Fut practioners used sounds since many of the seniors from our school doesn't seem to, yet one of the school of my senior always does.

Thanks yet again

iron_silk
06-27-2001, 06:49 AM
I understanding how to breath during the transition of moves, but how would breathing work during such quick movements of gua sow?

Just curious!

Fu-Pow
06-27-2001, 08:29 AM
Gwa Sow= big swinging back fist? I would suggest a "Ha" sound from the gut, as it is a "power" move.

Fu-Pow
http://makskungfu.com/images/R7star.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

iron_silk
06-27-2001, 12:36 PM
I thought that would be two different fists.

Gwa = swinging backfist
Sow = swinging back the other way

I am not very good with descriptions

YeutYatChapChoy
06-29-2001, 01:42 AM
Hi:-)
Are you a practitioner of Bok Hsing Fut Gar?
Where do ya live in Canada?

YeutYatChapChoy
06-29-2001, 01:46 AM
Sorry, I forgot why I originally posted.

Gwa-Sow is short for
Gwa choy preceeding a sow choy. Hence gwa-sow.
Used to hear my Bok sing sifu use that nomenclature.

iron_silk
06-29-2001, 11:44 PM
I live in Vancouver, BC.

What about you?