PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Quickies

Sleemie
06-21-2002, 06:32 AM
I'm new to Qigong and was hoping to find some "quickie" exercises that I could perform during the day while I have some brief moments of free time or while I'm driving. I'm not trying to take a short cut, I'll put in the time on the longer exercises when I have the time at home, but during the day I keep thinking that I could be doing something productive during some of my down time. They would have to be things I can do while at me desk at work or driving, so I won't have complete quiet. Also, I'm looking for something using both methods (sorry I don't remember the correct terminology) but when I say both methods, I mean one where you strictly focus on the breathing and the other where you focus on your hands and try to get to the point where you feel the energy in them.

I do have a book, by the way, but they don't provide any such exercises.

Thanx

dezhen2001
06-21-2002, 06:58 AM
why can't you just do some sitting meditation when ur at your desk? (NOT recommended while driving though :D). The main thing i find is just to keep your body relaxed, have good posture, and be mindful throughout the day. That's what qigong is for isn't it? :)

david

Sleemie
06-21-2002, 07:03 AM
That sounds good to me, but I'm looking for a specific meditation, with all the details of how to perform it. The one I learned from my book doesn't seem like it would be appropriate for my situation.

As far as something while I'm driving, what about just doing deep breathing focusing on breathing from the Dan Tien area and using the proper rythym of inhalation and exhalation?

dezhen2001
06-21-2002, 07:35 AM
Well, i would concentrate more on driving ;)

Breathing naturally and fully is good for you anyway, and is what qigong teaches yo to do. So you use your lungs more, increase energy etc.
As long as you relax and have good posture, to me that is a type of meditation. Maybe you can put your hands near the dantian or something... theres lots of things you can do :) Also things like taking a break from working in front of the computer, having a walk, stretching etc. all help your posture and breathing.

Qigong develops your health and enriches your life, but doesn't need to BE your life unless u wanna become a monk or immortal :D

I'm sure others can provide more help, I only have 2 years experience :)

david

Serpent
06-23-2002, 11:45 PM
Proper dan tien breathing is something you can do anytime, anywhere. I'm doing it right now as I type! This is fine for driving too. However, don't concentrate on any specific meditation while you're driving. Don't concentrate on anything except driving. You're in charge of a one ton metal weapon, travelling at ridiculous speeds. You owe to it yourself and everybody else on or near the roads to concentrate one hundred per cent on what you're doing.

Don't mean to lecture, but people looking for things to do "while they drive" is a real pet peeve of mine. I've had friends killed by drivers not paying attention to what they were doing.

In other situations, such as sitting at your desk, etc., start with deep dan tien breathing. Once you are really comfortable with it, start trying to circulate your qi from the dan tien (there are various visualisations to help with this). Up the back, over and down the front, getting the qi moving would be the first step that I would suggest. Your hands should register the movement when you have it going well and smoothly. After that, practice moving the qi to various other areas of your body, then hold qi between your hands, etc. Just get used to movement and control.

Then, when you are in a position to practice more effectively and apply qi to your kung fu, etc., then you will have a far better control to begin with.

Just some suggestions. Hope it helps.

prana
06-23-2002, 11:57 PM
I havent replied for a while, David, how are you mate ?

When you drive, concentrate on driving. That is already, a very good meditation technique. That is, if you can drive and actually keep focussed on driving and nothing else ?

You want to add more difficulty into your meditaion, when someone angers you, cuts you off, dont get upset about it, and think, maybe he is in a hurry to see his wife who has been admitted to hospital or something. That is another good meditation technique. Maybe, you will be in that situation one day.

Sleemie
06-24-2002, 06:42 AM
I appreciate the input, and as far as doing something while driving, I wasn't looking to do any deep meditations or anything like that. I'm looking for things that I can do while still focusing on driving, such as the breathing techniques that were mentioned. I don't see that as being a major distraction. I usually think about things a lot deeper than that while driving and have no problem with still being aware of and reacting to things on the road, so that would be a piece of cake. I definitely wouldn't get in to attempting to circulate my Qi/chi while driving, not only for the distraction, but from what I've gathered it could be unhealthy for you if you're abrubtly cut off in the middle of such an exercise.

A question about the Dan Tien deep breathing....when you do that, should you strictly work on filling up the Dan Tien area and just inhale and exhale with that area, or once you fill up the Dan Tien area should you continue inhaling moving up to your chest area?

Walter Joyce
06-24-2002, 07:28 AM
If you can't afford a teacher, you may want to get the cds on breathing at this website. Follow the instructions explicitly, especially the part about not trying to do the next lesson until you can do the one you are working on, i.e. 1,2,3,...in order, not moving to 2 until you have 1 down. I would, however, recommend listening to the entire set of lessons on the first cd once without practicing along. Do not listen to the second in this fashion until you can do the exercises on the first.
It will take you a minimum of 1 to 2 years to do this first cd, assuming you can complete the lessons at all. This is not a personal comment on your abilities, but on the difficulty associated with the material. I still recommend a teacher.
Good training,
Walter
p.s. the cds I am referring to are on the bottom of the page.

http://energyarts.com/hires/indexed.html

Confucius
06-25-2002, 09:58 PM
Sleemie, first of all welcome to the wonderful world of chi kung.

one of the most important things in chi kung, isnt the forms themselves but the energy flow they create in the body.

3 things you want to remember;

breathe gently

be relaxed

and keep your mind clear, free from distractions

the exercise ill be explaining here is called Lifting the sky, it is a very common exerise performed by individuals who practice the 18 lohan kuen

Stand relaxed and upright with you feet fairly close together. Hold your arms straight down, with your hands at right angles to the forearm, and the fingers pointing towards each other, in front of you. Bring your arms in an arc forward and upward, so that the palms, still at right angles, now face skyward. Breathe in gently through your nose as you do so. Look up at your hands. Gently hold your breath. Next, push your palms up, still at right angles, towards the sky. Then lower your arms sideways, so that they return to your sides, gently breathing out through your mouth. At the same time lower your head to look forward.

Repeat this about 10-20 times, every morning and within 3 months you should see some very noticeable results

Each time you push your palms to the sky, feel your back straightening. And each time you lower your arms, feel the flow of energy down your body.

like many things, practice is essential in chi kung.

Sleemie
06-26-2002, 06:10 AM
I appreciate the info....that's the kind of thing I'd be hoping to get from this post. I assume when I do this I should be breathing in to the Dan Tien.

Confucius
06-26-2002, 03:55 PM
no you should not

dfedorko@mindspring.com
06-28-2002, 05:32 AM
Whatever you practicing standing you can do sitting but you will notice you have to shorten the movements. I try to practice at work all the time. My problem is that people interrupt me and when they see what I am doing I have to answer many questions. Peace.

Sleemie
06-28-2002, 06:16 AM
Can you give me a couple of examples of what you practice at work?

Thanx

Sleemie
06-28-2002, 12:40 PM
I don't want to look like a nutcase at work.....:D

dezhen2001
06-30-2002, 12:38 PM
The half lotus is not so assuming as the full, don't worry :D It's pretty much how i sit all the time when i'm at my desk etc. as well... very comfortable actually and also natural.

Actually quite often what i do i can practise all day. Just having good posture, being relaxed, breathing with my whole body, having a clear mind,smiling and helping others... it's all training :) Not just when you actually practise...

good luck :)

david

dfedorko@mindspring.com
07-05-2002, 05:00 AM
Sleemie -

Sit in your chair halfway, back straight, be rounded in the shoulders, kwa opened, hands on knees - try this for meditation.

Using the same sitting posture you can do beginning tai chi, open chest,changing palms, rowing the boat,pressing palms,playing with the waves and flying like a dove. These exercises are from Qigong 18 and I just did them as I wrote them down for you. Any questions email me. Peace.

monkey mind
07-23-2002, 02:53 PM
dezhen is right on: "Just having good posture, being relaxed, breathing with my whole body, having a clear mind,smiling and helping others... it's all training"

The very first day of my taiji class, our teacher gave us homework that I still do everyday. The gist of it is: be comfortable. Wherever you are or whatever you're doing, check in with your body and your posture. Are you relaxed? Are you comfortable? What is your alignment like? This need not be an in depth review of your entire body. Just take a second to see how you're holding your body; what you can do to make it more natural, comfortable, and relaxed.

dezhen2001
07-23-2002, 04:19 PM
wow, that doesn't usually happen :D

I find the attitude is more important than anything else. If your attitude is healthy then your body will be getting healthy, so no need to worry, just keep training :)

good luck,

david