PDA

View Full Version : machine vs machine

SevenStar
06-21-2002, 06:42 AM
here's the situation - you are given the task of filling a gym with equipment, but you can't order free weights - the gym doesn't want them out of fear of people hurting themselves - dropping barbels on themselves, etc. (apartment complex gym, or something of the like) you can choose either Cybex, Nautilus or Universal machines.

Which will you pick and why?

guohuen
06-21-2002, 07:43 AM
Nautilus, developed by a doctor. Haven't used cybex. The leg press on the universal is fun.

IronFist
06-21-2002, 10:23 AM
I would choose a new gym.

Seriously.

If my only option was working out with machines, I would find some other way to work out. Honestly, I believe you will be worse off after working out for a year with only machines than you would be if you had not worked out at all.

A gym without freeweights is dumb.

I don't know your conditions, but consider this: for less than the price of a yearly gym membership, you could buy a barbell and 3 or 400lbs worth of plates. I would also buy a nice bench for bench pressing, but that might be expensive. You might even have enough left over to construct a deadlift platform from wood and old tires. :)

Or, you could get a kettlebell or two.

Stay away from the machines!

IronFist

Sleemie
06-21-2002, 10:47 AM
Why do you say stay away from the machines? Do you know something scientifically that shows that lifting with machines is worse than not lifting at all? I can't imagine that using machines is worse than not lifting at all. I lift using a combination of free weights, primarly dumb bells, and nautilis, but most of my routine is on the machine.

SevenStar
06-21-2002, 10:55 AM
ROFL!!! I was expecting that response from you - kind of trolling for it. I've got 400lb of free weights and bleong to a gym that has them, but my old apt complex didn't use free weights for the very reason I mentioned - managament didn't want anybody to get hurt. It was a huge gym, cybex machines, bikes, treadmills, tanning beds... but they didn't allow free weights. At the gym, I've noticed that there are people that

1. bench on a machine and with barbells
2. bench with barbells only
3. bench with the smith machine only
4. bench with the cybex machine only

for #'s 3 and 4, I was wondering why the machines, and why they chose the particular machine that they did.

I am curious about your statement concerning using machines for a year though - why do you think you would be worse off than if you hadn't worked out at all?

IronFist
06-21-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
but my old apt complex didn't use free weights for the very reason I mentioned - managament didn't want anybody to get hurt.

It's funny though, people don't tend to get hurt while they're on the weight machines... they get hurt doing other things because of the training on the weight machines.

Sleemie, yes, I've gotta run but when I get back I'll reply to you.

Note: there are a couple useful machines, but only in conjunction with other stuff. Among these are: the lat pullover machine. Note that I did not say lat pullDOWN machine, I said pullOVER, the one with the cage thing that you pull over your head down to your stomach, and some calf machines.

IronFist

Kumkuat
06-21-2002, 05:47 PM
Yeah, Calf raise machines are basically the only useful ones since the gyms here don't have a raised platform to do barbell calf raises. Anyway, machines can be bad for you in the long term. They force you to move in a fixed path and not a natural path your body moves. So that can increase shear forces on your joints. Also, your stabliazers are not being worked when using a machine. Free Weights are also cheaper. Machines also cause ppl to be more sloppy since they figure they don't need good form since it's 'safe.' Of course, this occurs with free weights also.

Anyway, it is true that working out with machines is better than not working out at all, but I would only work out with it once in a while. In fact, if I couldn't find a gym with free weights, I would do mostly body weight exercises. I would find heavy stuff like big rocks or something and pick them up. I would do physical labor, etc.,

yu shan
06-21-2002, 06:58 PM
I personally do free weight and dumb-bell work, and very selective with machine work. My question is, does machine work help with cutting? I know the weight to rep ratio thing, and dieting. Just curious.

tri2bmt
06-21-2002, 07:06 PM
What the hell is a deadlift platform?

Kumkuat
06-21-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by yu shan
I personally do free weight and dumb-bell work, and very selective with machine work. My question is, does machine work help with cutting? I know the weight to rep ratio thing, and dieting. Just curious.

Cutting? Yeah, if the machine is really sharp.

IronFist
06-21-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by tri2bmt
What the hell is a deadlift platform?

A platform from which you deadlift. Assuming you know what a deadlift is, the platform is generally just a wooden platform about 2-4 inches high that is covered with wood. It can be any size, but generally they're at least 10ftx10ft. Generally the entire surface of the platform is covered with dense rubber. This rubber acts as a cushion when you bring the weight down in a deadlift, because to deadlift properly you are supposed to set the weight down rather quickly, which could crack/damage a regular floor/surface, hence the deadlift platform.

If you don't know what a deadlift is, I know someone here has a link to a page that describes it and has pics.

IronFist

Sleemie
06-24-2002, 06:49 AM
If the free weights are so much better, can't you use those to get cut with? I'm not trying to be a wise guy, in fact, I think you've convinced me to change my routine to where the only thing I'll use the machines for is a particular exercise that isolates the biceps and triceps. I don't the name of it, but it's the one where you add weights to three different areas of the machine and each area focuses on a different part of the bicep or tricep.

My current routine is about half and half, and the only thing I'm really changing is my chest exercises. I'll be doing bench presses now with the free weights instead of the chest exercises on the machines. Then the only remaining machine work will be with the biceps/tricep machines.

IronFist
06-24-2002, 10:57 AM
Sleemie, getting "cut" is entirely a matter of diet and has absolutely nothing to do with what type of weights you use. The only way to get "cut" is to lower your bodyfat percentage enough so that your muscles, striations, veins, etc., become visible. And the only way to lower your bodyfat percentage is diet and cardio.

That is, of course, assuming you have built up your muscle in the first place so that when your bodyfat comes down there is something to see :)

IronFist